• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite thing about Smash 4?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The face Rosalina makes when she uses her D-Tilt/is stunned/is tumbling through the air after taking a hit:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The character roster is ****ing amazing. While there's a couple characters I still wish we had, I can't really complain when I got :4littlemac::4shulk::rosalina::4palutena::4megaman::4mewtwo::4ryu::4robinm::4robinf::4bowserjr::4duckhunt: :4villager::4villagerf: etc.

So many great choices, some of which I never expected at all but really wanted. (:rosalina::4bowserjr::4robinf:)

The gameplay is incredibly smooth. This is a game with some serious polish, and they're pretty on top of fixing any bugs. This here is a fantastic game. And 8-player mode is so much fun with enough people!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm just gonna chime in and say I don't mind rage.

If it was never in the game I wouldn't be upset. I wouldn't shed a tear if it was removed.

But it's in the game and I'm okay with it. Except for potentially messing up combos due to increased knockback and maybe a few overburdened power ratios, it doesn't make much of a difference to me. Heavies are the characters that benefit most from it: if a heavy hits you, you're kinda supposed to die. That's why heavies are slow. You get hit, you deserve to die at 40%. Rage just exacerbates that and ensures that you have to play even safer. Yeah, it can be a bit naff when Sheik or Diddy kills you at the same percents, but I just think of it as an impetus to get better at evading the hit.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'm just gonna chime in and say I don't mind rage.

If it was never in the game I wouldn't be upset. I wouldn't shed a tear if it was removed.

But it's in the game and I'm okay with it. Except for potentially messing up combos due to increased knockback and maybe a few overburdened power ratios, it doesn't make much of a difference to me. Heavies are the characters that benefit most from it: if a heavy hits you, you're kinda supposed to die. That's why heavies are slow. You get hit, you deserve to die at 40%. Rage just exacerbates that and ensures that you have to play even safer. Yeah, it can be a bit naff when Sheik or Diddy kills you at the same percents, but I just think of it as an impetus to get better at evading the hit.
Nothing in the world justifies dying that early. The only exception I could possibly think of is an Aerial Reverse Warlock Punch or maybe a fully charged smash attack. Other than that, the percents that Rage can kill you in is ridiculous. It's the sole reason why I like Brawl more than this game.
Anyway, I'd also like to add that Smash 4 is ****ing fabulous. Seriously, the costumes in this game are amazing. It's like everybody got a little more swag after Brawl.
The face Rosalina makes when she uses her D-Tilt/is stunned/is tumbling through the air after taking a hit:

That's creepy.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Nothing in the world justifies dying that early. The only exception I could possibly think of is an Aerial Reverse Warlock Punch or maybe a fully charged smash attack. Other than that, the percents that Rage can kill you in is ridiculous. It's the sole reason why I like Brawl more than this game.
Getting hit justifies dying that early.

If it's an issue, practice to, y'know, evade the hit.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rage has it's problems but I can do with or without it.

And honestly, if this happens in tournament without any smart set-ups leading into it, and people start whining about it after that (I mean they already are), then I will quit Smash 4 indefinitely.

Also this is another favourite thing of mine:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Getting hit justifies dying that early.

If it's an issue, practice to, y'know, evade the hit.
It really doesn't. It's a fighting game. You're going to get hit, that's unavoidable. And as such, it'd be nice if I didn't lose half my stock for it. Then there's characters like Falco, who already has a hard enough time killing, getting their conbos ****ed over because of the increased knockback.

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
- Great roster
- DLC
- Balancing
- Stage selection
- Tons of music
- Removal of chaingrabs
- Ledge mechanics
- For Glory (Anthers' Ladder is obviously better but it's nice to have a convenient way to just jump into online matches)
- New alternate colors
- Mii Fighters
- an actual GOOD stage builder (Still needs work though)

The only downside is that Captain Falcon is still in the game. But hey, there's always Smash 5, right?

Last edited:

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
The ability to have people chosen automatically for me only to be crushed.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to say what my favorite thing is, but I will go with the overall gameplay. I like all smash bros, but this is my Goldilocks game. Melee was too fast, Brawl was too slow but this one feels just right.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It really doesn't. It's a fighting game. You're going to get hit, that's unavoidable. And as such, it'd be nice if I didn't lose half my stock for it. Then there's characters like Falco, who already has a hard enough time killing, getting their conbos ****ed over because of the increased knockback.
It's my opinion. I like rage. I may even say it's a favourite thing about Smash 4.

I respect your opinion, please respect mine.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Does pointing out facts equate to being aggressive here? I'm starting to think so.
Your tone is totally unwarranted.

I think you should be more open-minded towards other people's opinions, especially in a thread dedicated to determining people's opinions.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Your tone is totally unwarranted.

I think you should be more open-minded towards other people's opinions, especially in a thread dedicated to determining people's opinions.
I don't think it is. I respectfully disagreed with you and told you why, and you respond by calling me aggressive. And unless the definition of aggressive changed since I woke up this morning, there's something inaccurate about that. I simply asked why you're so quick to call people aggressive, when they're clearly not anything of the sort.
Not once did I degrade you or your precious "opinion." I don't agree with it, but I let you have it. Is that or is that not "open-minded?"

Raijinken

Smash Master
If I had to put it on a single thing, it'd be custom moves.

But aside from that...

• Customs
  • Roster size and presence
  • Graphics
  • Music
  • Stagelist for both casual and competitive play
  • Stage builder (generally satisfied though there are improvements I'd make)
  • Control options
  • Balance patches
  • Offense/defense variety
  • DLC characters/stages
  • Portable version
  • Smash Run
  • Rage mechanic

Last edited:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
These big bad mothers right here: :4ganondorf::4bowser::4mewtwo:.

Some of my favorites characters from Melee, bigger and better than ever. Say what you will about how non viable they are in competitive, I still love these guys.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
For me, the offline modes are incredibly addictive, especially Crazy Orders. It takes the intensity of various modes of previous games and steps it up several notches with the high risk / reward factor. One moment you think you are going to break your previous record, and then suddenly you get KO'd halfway there and it abruptly ends with a big chunk of the loot erased before your eyes. No Smash game mode has ever put me at the edge of my seat like this one does, and yet I cannot help but to keep coming back for more. And then when I do eventually win, it feels good to get all that custom equipment, just to see how much I can customize my fighters even further for that next Crazy Orders session.

It is somewhat ironic that I did a 180° from Brawl, where the online modes were my favorite part. When they took out the online co-op modes which made Brawl fun and unique, and added the insane input lag to many random online matches (due to lack of regional options), Smash 4 forced me back into being an offline gamer as I was prior to Brawl. Perhaps things are just going full circle....

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
That we got :4littlemac:, :4feroy: and :4mewtwo:. Pretty much every character that I was seriously rooting for except Eggman (next time).

_BETA_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pootyromano
I like the characters

The designs on them and how most of them are unique .... Most of them (Cough Cough Ganondorf Cough Cough)

I like the upgrades to the older characters from brawl.

I like the new third party characters.

I like the different weight classes and tiers (even though there is none yet)

I just really like the characters.... Now if only we had a story mode with cutscenes then smash 4 would be the greatest game ever.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, the art style. Even if 64 does have its charms and Melee did look great at times, this is the one where I feel like they got it "right", so to speak. Time has not treated Brawl's more detailed, realistic style well (characters like :lucas: and :toonlink: looked gross in that game even if they were some of my mains), and having Smash 4 take on a more bright look with colors that truly pop felt like a breath of fresh air, especially since a majority of characters look much closer to their home series appearances than they did before: such as :4bowser:, :4dk:, :4mario: and the aforementioned :4tlink: and :4lucas: along with :4ness: being very prominent examples! That, and even with some of the graphical shortcuts that were taken, the game just looks absolutely gorgeous and crisp, especially with it all running at 60 fps. Battlefield and Final Destination never looked so good.

EtrianHero23

Smash Cadet
Samus being a bad character.

Honestly, I can't find one thing I really hate about Smash 4. I love the roster, stages, music (even if it's cut off. RIP DK Rap.), gameplay, customs, etc.

If there is one thing I don't like: footstools. I've died to them more than anything else, and a majority of the time, it's entirely unintentional.

But other than that, the game is fantastic and I love every single bit of it. (Yes, even Smash Run.)

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Samus being a bad character.

Honestly, I can't find one thing I really hate about Smash 4. I love the roster, stages, music (even if it's cut off. RIP DK Rap.), gameplay, customs, etc.

If there is one thing I don't like: footstools. I've died to them more than anything else, and a majority of the time, it's entirely unintentional.

But other than that, the game is fantastic and I love every single bit of it. (Yes, even Smash Run.)
Why "even?" Everybody loves Smash Run.

CoolCove

Smash Rookie
NNID
CoolCove
3DS FC
0103-9962-4793
I really like the roster and stages. Plus there's more dlc on the way.

Top Bottom