• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite RPG spells or abilities?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I tried searching for something like this but all the lists were rather lame or repetitive, so hope fully you guys will have some awesome ones. Anything goes; card games, D&D, VGs, movies, shows, etc

Mine off the top of my head are....

1000 Needles - from the final fantasy series

&

Sliprain - Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

these two are mostly for the names, I just think they are very unique and phonetically pleasant.

Last edited:

moist teabag

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5189-1454
Skyrim counts, right? Because spells like Beast Form, which just turned you into a mf werewolf, and the huge variety of shouts made that game a whole lot more fun. Some of the best shouts being:

-The legendary, Unrelenting Force (Or Fus Ro Dah) which just turned the game into a physics based killathon.
-
Ice Form (I think is the name) which enabled you to make fun life size ice cubes of everybody's favourite skyrim animals. Plus it caused buggy as **** physics stuff to happen if they fell down or cliff or smth

I can't remember all of them but these are the ones that stuck with me the most :^)

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Skyrim counts, right? Because spells like Beast Form, which just turned you into a mf werewolf, and the huge variety of shouts made that game a whole lot more fun. Some of the best shouts being:

-The legendary, Unrelenting Force (Or Fus Ro Dah) which just turned the game into a physics based killathon.
-
Ice Form (I think is the name) which enabled you to make fun life size ice cubes of everybody's favourite skyrim animals. Plus it caused buggy as **** physics stuff to happen if they fell down or cliff or smth

I can't remember all of them but these are the ones that stuck with me the most :^)
oh man, Skyrim definitely had some very cool spell names, mine from that series are -

Dragonrend
Soul Tear

Also a hard to find support power - Sailor's Repose (gave you +10% restoration spell power)

Lazerith

Smash Rookie
Never played Golden Sun, is the one on DS worth picking up or nah?
You'll be completely lost if you don't play the GBA games first or at least read the really lengthy underlined text during dialogue.

I have to say Dark Dawn is a very pretty game and has one of the prettiest battle systems of any game on the DS, but its story just doesn't compare to the first two games. Not to say it is bad, because I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it just isn't quite as good as the first two games.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yea please go play both GBA Golden Suns right now. Amazing music, unique fun puzzles and battle system, great sound design and art direction.

moist teabag

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5189-1454
Cheers man, I appreciate it. I'll see if I can nab it at a carboot sale for a couple of quid. (:

EDIT:
Yea please go play both GBA Golden Suns right now. Amazing music, unique fun puzzles and battle system, great sound design and art direction.
Highly recommended, then?

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Never played Golden Sun, is the one on DS worth picking up or nah?
Dark Dawn is good, and I feel like its probably better than the GBA games in a lot of respects. Which, while still good, have their quality really exaggerated by nostalgic fans.

The game play is pretty much exactly as it was before but with a new cast of characters. You'll probably get a little lost on the story if you haven't played the first two, but it's not that hard to wrap your head around.

So yeah, if you're looking for a solid RPG I'd say its worth playing. Just don't go in expecting anything too ground breaking or mind blowing.

Last edited:

Lazerith

Smash Rookie
Cheers man, I appreciate it. I'll see if I can nab it at a carboot sale for a couple of quid. (:

EDIT:

Highly recommended, then?
I'd recommend the first game. I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND the second game. I'd recommend the third game.

The GBA games are available on the Wii U virtual console as well.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Mahamaon/Mamudoon.

When an enemy in the Megami Tensei games (Nocturne, IV, etc) use these and wipe your entire party in one turn... The salt is incredible.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Mahamaon/Mamudoon.

When an enemy in the Megami Tensei games (Nocturne, IV, etc) use these and wipe your entire party in one turn... The salt is incredible.
Kosher salt clogs my arteries when this happens :079:

OP mentioned shows, so I'm gonna say the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Megazord transformation. The Power Rangers theme playing in the background, a bunch of awesome robots combining together to create an even more awesome one... **** got me so hype as a kid.

In actual video games tho, maybe Luther's Insanity Prelude from Star Ocean 3? The way the VA says the battle quote makes it for me, "Hear that sound? It's the gates of the Netherworld opening to take you away." He sounds both sassy and nonchalant, kind of like he's just toying with you (Makes sense, given the situation.)

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Oh and another one from the Megami Tensei games: Beast Eye. It gives the user two extra turns, which means they can use a boosting ability, then Beast Eye again and then a boosting ability, then Beast Eye again... And then game over, if you aren't overleveled.

Last edited:

~Astra

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChainsawPolice
I just finished Awakening a week or two ago, and my favourite two skills that work in conjunction are Vengeance and Vantage.

Basically, if a unit is close to death and an enemy initiates a fight, Vantage will make them strike first, and Vengeance will add half of the defending unit's missing HP to their next attack; this makes them deal anywhere from a few additional points of damage, to 39 god damn points of sweet, sweet damage (if they've capped their HP and are on >3 HP)

I put these two skills on my low-dodge units – the gameplan is to let them soak up the damage, then LAUGH IN THE FACE OF DEATH AS YOU BRUTALLY ANNIHILATE ANY MORTAL CREATURE WHO DARE STANDS IN YOUR PATH.

The sad thing is that, due to both skills being available to two drastically far apart class sets, you can really only get these two skills on child units through inheritance (HenryxCordelia!Severa gives me a mad strategy-boner).

But if we're talking about actual spell tomes, none of them really stand out as being really good.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Offense Up is an obvious choice because it can carry you through the Mother series.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
If we're talking about OP spells now....ANY RESTORATION CLASS AND THEIR SPELLS IN ANY RPG

Almost always low cost compared to how powerful they are
Can essentially make you invincible
Almost always AOE
Usually gets some of the best spells very early such as - Life, Raise, Regen, Shell, Protect, Cure, Esuna, Holy

Almost always it's the white mages you have to kill first to ever win in a turn based or strategy RPG. In Skyrim and all the Elder scroll it was very overpowered and had the best perks (hellllllllo Respite) and spells like Circle of Protection, Guardian Circle and Bane of the Undead were some of the best in the game.

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Can Plasmids from Bioshock count? They're pretty much akin to magic. Bioshock itself isn't an RPG but System Shock 2, the game it's heavily based off of was.

I love the bees... Insect Swarm. I guess I have a thing for nature-based magic. You rarely see it in games (because I guess people don't see much offensive potential in it?) so I'm always excited to see anything like it. I also like the aesthetic of Murder of Crows from Infinite but I don't think it packs quite the same punch as the other vigors in that game.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Well... when your BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE and are AGAINST THE ODDS, you have to CHOOSE TO FIGHT....

Um..

Blossom Dance...

yeah I got nothing for that

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Legend of Dragoon in general:
And nearly all main characters have dragoon forms, so there's a bunch more.

Top Bottom