• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Reads with Charizard?

TerraSky

Super Smash Goat
NNID
TarrenSky
3DS FC
0791-4190-6031
Switch FC
SW-8134-0988-3694
One of the best parts of playing Charizard for me is getting the right prediction on an opponent and watching them fly off into the sunset. I was wondering if anyone could be willing to share those golden moments where you get the perfect hard read with everyone's favorite fat dragon.

For me, I was playing against a competent Mario on For Glory. He liked to cape me when I executed a move near him, then follow up with a Smash attack or grab. We were both at one stock left, and we were both at kill percent. Anticipating another cape, I executed a FSmash in the wrong direction on purpose. Long story short, I won the game right then and there. It was back when I was still fairly mediocre, so looking back on that moment feels good.

Last edited:

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77
Getting a read and killing with back air is always satisfying. Same with up b.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Reading a Sonic player's Up B --> UAir sharking attempt when I was trying to come back down and Rock Smashing him for it when both of us were at around 100% in FG Teams. Also waiting until you're at 100-ish% to Flare Blitz a bad roll for the KO.

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
Hmmm, I could flamethrower for some damage and go for the edgeguarding game.

Or I could be flashy

DA DUNK!!!!

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
#1. Space a flamethrower while edgeguarding, train your opponent to roll to get up onto the ledge and avoid your attacks, end your flamethrower early to turn around forward smash them as they roll.

#2. Space a flamethrower while edgeguarding, train your opponent to recover high, end flamethrower early and go for a surprise Fly/Up-air.

#3. Flamethrower an opponent in neutral, punish their defensive habit. A ton of people like to roll backward after getting hit by Flamethrower for some reason, which is an easy Dragon Rush or Flare Blitz punish. Others like to shield, which is a free grab.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
#1. Space a flamethrower while edgeguarding, train your opponent to roll to get up onto the ledge and avoid your attacks, end your flamethrower early to turn around forward smash them as they roll.
This.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
#3. Flamethrower an opponent in neutral, punish their defensive habit. A ton of people like to roll backward after getting hit by Flamethrower for some reason, which is an easy Dragon Rush or Flare Blitz punish. Others like to shield, which is a free grab.
That's... So clever. Like really really clever. Wow.
Download in progress...

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Landing Dair against Ganon is always a fun moment.

He thinks he knows disrespect. He doesn't know disrespect :smirk:

:006:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Rock Smash when they try to follow up with an aerial!

Especially when you're high up.

They die so easily.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
As the opponent is falling back toward the stage from the corner, run away from the ledge, hop and Flare Blitz them midair offstage. Completely unreliable and stupid, but moments like that remind me why I play a level 100 fire breathing dragon.

Mew2Kid

Smash Rookie
Definitely my best highlight with Charizard is when I was fighting a pretty good Meta Knight. I knocked him off the stage and as he used his Side+B to recover to the stage, I jumped off and d-aired him into oblivion. I felt so good after that, it was amazing.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
My favorite "read" is when I try to sliding Rock Smash but accidentally Blitz and hit them. Bonus points if I would die for missing.

TerraSky

Super Smash Goat
NNID
TarrenSky
3DS FC
0791-4190-6031
Switch FC
SW-8134-0988-3694
After playing some intense matches, I can safely say that Dragon Rushing someone while offscreen for an early KO is so satisfying.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Tanking a recovery move with Flare Blitz (e.g. Bouncing Fish) and finishing the stock.
Covering almost all ledge options with a well-spaced SH nair then going for an edgeguard.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I wanna face a good charizard..
No disrespect but i just dont think he is on the level compared to the other heavies.

Anyone wanna battle?
ID: DARK-PHAZ0N

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367

My replays were nuked so I lost a lot of good ones... but this one happened today and it was totes worth it.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
@ SkyboundTerror SkyboundTerror Quick tip for future uploads: Lock your auto exposure and auto focus on your camera before you record so that those settings don't adjust during recording. Also make the camera a little out of focus (lock focus and then back up a little) to make those little lines less likely to appear.

Also, this is kind of unrelated but if I were to make a little 3DS Charizard 'combo' video in the future, would you all rather see just the stage like in the video above or the stage and the character percents that are shown on the lower screen? I thought the latter would be better at first but then I noticed that would make the upper screen substantially smaller for the video. Thoughts?

To add somewhat to the topic of the OP though, my personal favorite read with Charizard is Uthrow into a Bair for a kill. Fastfalling the very end of the Uthrow animation, dashing to the opponent before they land, and then canceling the awkward turning animation with a short hop to land a sweet spotted Bair is so satisfying when it actually works.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Reads like in the above vid have made me realize how Marth-like he can be now, as can Duck Hunt & especially Zelda.... FAir, BAir, and even FTilt can all either lead to or directly KO at 100+% when tippered. Said tippers are also among my favorite moves to land at virtually any percent, especially when I intercept an opponent's pokes with those when we're playing footsies at neutral positions. No wonder I've come to like Smash 4 Zard after being a Roy & Marth main in Melee, Brawl (briefly), and even Project M. He's like a much heavier Marth with even more KO power (2 of which are super-armored!) and a better horizontal recovery.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I have dropped DK as my 2nd main for Charizard now
This guy is so damn beast
Ganon & Charizard it is.

Bowser is boring..and i take it that people think he is OP or a easy noob char..
People always switch to him or Falcon after i destroy them with Ganon.

DK just doesnt cut it...his neutral game is so bad...
Bowser is boring...

Dont like Ike...
And my bro mains DDD so i dont play as him either although he is very damn good.

Ganon & Charizard it is Now
Unless K.Rool gets added :)

Charizard is a monster.

Yeagerzard

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gojira1999
Switch FC
SW-3342-8188-7804
Charizard is a very good heavy character that shouldn't be made fun of even though he is at the bottom of the tier list. Rage is a thing in the 3DS and Wii U so that adds more power to his already powerful moveset. Forward Smash to the face or a Flare Blitz your gone!!! Some might say that this Lizard sucks when trapped in combos, but let me say that if you let him out or you miss him, this Dragon can go into a Rock Smash to cancel it out. May I also say that his Forward, Back, and Down throw can all kill. Well to end off, any Charizard haters should check his Spike because this Lizards probably got one of the games best spikes well besides Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, and Capt. Falcon. Any Zard player knows the beauty of his Nare and that is can auto cancel its self and go straight into his Forward Air combo. I'm pretty up done with my Rant, but remember Lizards for Life!! Join the Lizards of Kanto.

Also I love the Blue Alt. They call me, Blueberries!!!

Last edited:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Yes, Flare Blitz CAN KO some folks surprisingly well, like :4link: & :4tlink: when you catch them chucking Bombs, Boomerangs, and uncharged Arrows (Flare Blitz straight up pierces through ALL of those and STILL keeps its KO power!), and :4sonic: when he's in the middle of Spin Dashing (hopefully he's not Hammer Spin Dashing over it). Such reads have lately been among the reasons I've been repping Zard more often, particularly when folks like them show up in FG Anywhere and Sonic in particular thrashes my :4duckhunt: (he himself CAN hang with the Links, and it's earnestly very fun to get in on them on the dog's terms, especially when they don't trust their Hylian Shields to protect them against the dog's arsenal. It's just easier, quicker, & more satisfying to straight up disrespect the Links' arsenals with a well-timed Flare Blitz when I run into (T)Links that DO trust their Hylian Shields).

Yeagerzard

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gojira1999
Switch FC
SW-3342-8188-7804
Warning Received

How I feel when people make fun of and say Charizard is terrible.

I kill easier with it than most moves.
Well Flare Blitz is one of the Lizard's most powerful moves, but I mostly kill with his Forward Smash, Fly, Rock Smash, and on some occasions his Down Air.

Yes, Flare Blitz CAN KO some folks surprisingly well, like :4link: & :4tlink: when you catch them chucking Bombs, Boomerangs, and uncharged Arrows (Flare Blitz straight up pierces through ALL of those and STILL keeps its KO power!), and :4sonic: when he's in the middle of Spin Dashing (hopefully he's not Hammer Spin Dashing over it). Such reads have lately been among the reasons I've been repping Zard more often, particularly when folks like them show up in FG Anywhere and Sonic in particular thrashes my :4duckhunt: (he himself CAN hang with the Links, and it's earnestly very fun to get in on them on the dog's terms, especially when they don't trust their Hylian Shields to protect them against the dog's arsenal. It's just easier, quicker, & more satisfying to straight up disrespect the Links' arsenals with a well-timed Flare Blitz when I run into (T)Links that DO trust their Hylian Shields).

Well this depends on if the
player knows how to counter those characters, I myself don't use the move that often and I know what other moves that can counter Link, Toon Link, Sonic, and Duck Hunt. But, that's just my thought on this Lizard.

Last edited by a moderator:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The only situation I would use Flare Blitz is when I'm against a Lucario using Snaring Spheres. It's the perfect counter. Other than that I'd rather have a shot at winning and use Dragon Rush, easily one of the best customs in the game.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
^ @ -LzR- -LzR- good call on snaring sphere, had always worried about that custom a bit in the back of my mind. no longer. standard sphere on the other hand...

AetherStorm

Smash Cadet
NNID
AetherStorm
3DS FC
3093-7092-7192
Use Nair when your opponent is on the ledge, and then when they try to punish with a getup attack, (or take advantage of your assumed landing lag with another option) fade back and fsmash. Even if your opponent doesn't fall for it again, this is an amazing way to take a quick stock in an emergency.

Top Bottom