• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Favorite Old 2-D Mario?

What's Your Favorite Old 2-D Mario Game?

• Total voters

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
So... I've been not playing as much smash lately. Just got kinda bored and started doing some other stuff for a bit. One of the franchises I've been playing the most over the past few months has been the Mario franchise: from the original to Mario Maker.

In this hiatus from smash, I decided to take out the SNES and beat one of the only Mario games I haven't beaten, being Super Mario World. I don't know why I haven't ever beaten it: I just never did. I've even beaten Lost Levels (original and all stars) before and have owned Mario World a lot longer.

But now I have beaten World, I can finally answer the question, which is actually pretty tough, and it isn't because of Mario 3 vs Mario World debate. It's the other three games I have trouble ranking because I like those games almost equally, but there is definitely a decision over that popular debate for me. I however, I still can't decide my absolute favorite, so I decided to ask you guys!!

To cut story short: I can't decide, but which game is your favorite?

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
I like the first one simply out of sentiment. I grew up playing that one all the time. I can still remember every single little secret and shortcut. Second for me would have to be 3, but for a watered down version of the same reason. I actually never owned Mario World, and I thought the Lost Levels felt like bonus material more than it's own game.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Super Mario World has some of the best levels in the series, and the entire game is so incredibly colorful even for an SNES game. Definitely the best 2D Mario imo. After that it's either SMB3 or the original SMB.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
World.

But a shout out that Land 1 and 2 should be up for contention.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Super Mario World was the only old school 2D Mario game I've played and beaten so that one will always have a place in my memories.

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
Looks like I'm the only one that voted for Super Mario Bros. 3 :grin:
I like it better than the other games (although Super Mario World is the second best) because I've played it more than the others, as I have it on 3DS, Wii U (although this one currently has a broken power cord at the hands of a puppy), and had it on Wii (Super Mario All-Stars). I also like games with tight controls (which this has), and the levels have very good design.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Gotta go with World. It was the very first Mario game I ever played, and even all these years later it just might still be my favorite Mario game. The level design is so unique, too! I like how it's not the average grassland > desert > tropical, etc. level layout. We get an ice dome, a heights level, a maze of a forest, and Bowser's level is a dark cavern rather than a lava world. It's just...so good! I also enjoy how you can swap between the brothers.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hard to say...

I like SMB because it's pure Mario... bare bones Mario... no gimmicks.

I like SMB2 because I get to play as Peach and Toad in addition to Mario and Luigi and they all have different stats. It's also fun to pick up and throw enemies and vegetables.

I like SMB3 because I have many different power-ups and the worlds come in 8 different themes.

I like SMW because I get to ride on Yoshi and replay levels I already cleared. Oh, and I love the cape.

Last edited:
Top Bottom