• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite music to play to?

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
I usually listen to Heavy Metal/Rock but I find it doesn't really fit well with the rhythm of melee, or at least my main(Marth).

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Depends on the character. For most characters, I music can be a bit distracting and I don't pick up on things or react as quickly sometimes. But if I'm playing a spacie, I get way more proficient when listening to basically anything lol. Anything that's quick/upbeat/angry/happy music all works well for them - hard/punk rock, hip hop, rap, electronic with a quick bass, whatever fits the mood. Helps to ignore anything else besides your tech and proper spacing and reads, especially for me as a non-spacie main aha.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I think everyone is generally going to listen to what they feel the most comfortable listening to. Maybe it's just me. I don't listen to music much when I play, but I usually listen to chill stuff. If I need hype music, Death Grips is my go-to. It gets me so hype.

Sunrun_Legend

Smash Rookie
I'm a falco main. I don't listen to music when I play...bu if I did, it would be this:

y outube.com/watch?v=iFANiOB9B3E&list=UUWnofRGkBfSUlc1AFx2Du3w (Just take out the space at the beginning)

ECHOnce

Smash Lord

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I like to listen to instrumental, calm or really hype music. For instance, I really like the soundtrack from the movie Benjamin Button which is weird, but it's incredibly soothing and calming, which helps with non-fastfallers I tend to think. When I do play falco or fox or whatever I prefer music like the Dr Wily stages from mega man 2. So hype (:

Marth Regalia

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-4228-5850
I listen to some really hype music to get me pumped at the tournament's start, but then switch to something instrumental to set me in the mood for finals.

killer9260

Smash Rookie
I usually like the music from the game, I don't know why but for some reason, the Yoshi's Story theme gets me so pumped for the battle...

TheKobanator

Smash Rookie
I gotta listen to some post-hardcore, metal, pretty much anything heavy. Put one ear bud in the ear opposite of my opponent so I can hear any button inputs, disgruntled moans, etc.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I prefer listening to melees music, I find it kinda distracting to listen to music when I play.
But if I have to say a band, then I'd say sabaton.

foxyopiumfun

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
O that's interesting! Never thought of it like that... Which cues for instance?
The "ting" noise from Falco and Fox doing their side-B is really important. It lets me know when to bair or utilt :p

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
I listen to basically anything with hype, the whole point of listening to a song while playing is to get your mind focused and get you completely in the zone, You have to be prepared to give it your all and songs help to calm nerves, get yourself focused, and amp yourself up.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
I have an entire playlist on YouTube dedicated for Chill songs and Match songs. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Most of my music consists of hype electronic music and instrumentals, but if I had choose a favorite it'd probably be Cadenza's remix of Cornered. Phoenix Wright music is so hype sometimes, man.

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
Hip Hop is really my go to style for fighting games, for me it just fits really well. Depending on how I'm feeling or what I need for a match I'll either listen to something chill, or something really hype, or something in between.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
O right that makes sense. Guess that's the main reason the higher level pro's don't listen to music often...
Maybe, I've seen HungryBox listen to Kanye Rest... err... West while he's playing :p I'm not too sure about others. I think it can help and it can hurt. It all depends on who you are and what you're used to. I'm just happy for 20XX random music. I can finally listen to the rest of the OST

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
I find that video game music, especially from fighting games, tends to fit quite well (which makes sense I suppose). Anything that makes me want to move my head along with it is good; in particular, shoegaze (as long as it's not too slow), or anything with a strong beat works well. I was listening to Death Grips all day at my most recent tournament.

It depends on what my mood is and what I want it to be though; I might want to just drown everything out and calm down (for nerves) or alternatively I might want to get hyped up and confident.

Last edited:
Top Bottom