• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

favorite/least favorite things about sm4sh?

ceboidea

Smash Rookie
NNID
lufikri
i personally dont like the lack of a story mode even if a lot of people thought subspace was, well. subpar
it just kinda gave more life to it, i guess? funner to play alone?
i almost feel like there WAS going to be a story mode from all the cinematic scenes weve seen for the character reveals.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Favorite Thing: Toon Link is in the game.
Least Favorite Thing: There's no Wind Waker stage to represent him in the Wii U version.

Last edited:

ceboidea

Smash Rookie
NNID
lufikri
Favorite Thing: Toon Link is in the game.
Least Favorite Thing: There's no Wind Waker stage to represent him in the Wii U version.
OHH Yeah i loved that stage. save for the stupid catapult thing on the boat that launched you off if you stood on it

i like toon links model in sm4sh though, in brawl it was kinda.. ugly, idunno.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Favorite Thing: Rosalina is in Sm4sh, of course.
Least Favorite Thing: Nothing beats Smash Tour as the worst.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Favorite Things: Shulk in smash and trophy rush
Least Favorite Things: 75m is back and smash tour.

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
My favorite part of this game? It'd have to be the music. The music is what has me coming back to this game almost everyday (as well as the gameplay of course).

My least favorite part of the game? I have a pretty big list of things I really question and/or hate, though if I had to choose one it'd have to be cutting Wolf and Lucas from the roster, two characters from beloved franchises cut for unknown reasons.

Last edited:

EclipseSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheHeroOfHylia
3DS FC
5043-3010-8901
Favorite Things: Music, Shulk, Ness, the Roy jokes it spawns/has spawned.

Least Favorite Things: Matchmaking is bad, no Wolf, no Lucas, custom moves are really annoying to unlock. Also no Fountain of Dreams music.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Favourite things: Lucina, Shulk, Bionis Torso, Most of the music, W101 representation
Least favourite things: Trash Tour, Ridley's stage hazard treatment, Yellow Devil, Chrom/Roy/Ridley becoming jokes, No Snake or Wolf, Xenoblade spoilers in several Xenoblade trophies, Great Cave Offensive

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
Favorite things: SMASH TOUR DAMN IT don't know why everyone hates it. DocMa, Pac-Man, and the Shulk jokes.

Least favorite: Everyone got counters. Seriously if comets did not exist I would be so much happier.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Favorite things: Music, graphics, roster and newcomers like Megaman, Shulk and Robin.
Least favorite: Almost all recoveries are too good and it makes the matches way too long a lot of the time.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Favorite: Bowser Jr. is surprisingly fun to play as.

Least favorite: Some franchises got shafted or underrepresented in new content, namely music, trophies, references, etc. (Wario, Pikmin, Ness)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What I really don't like about Smash Wii U is the absurdity of its harder challenges. 8 Cruel Smash KOs? Having to KO your rival 4 times in one Rival Smash match? Intensity 9.0 without losing any lives? So many hard reward conditions for the Solo Events?

What's more disturbing is that you've got a challenge saying to clear Classic at intensity 5.5 or higher, and yet later on, you find out that you have to clear intensity 7.0 or higher with everyone. It's like the game is making you have to reuse the same fighters again if you're always taking the easy way out.

And to add insult to injury, 140 challenges, and only 5 Golden Hammers, but there are just so many Golden Hammer immune challenges.

Even Brawl didn't have "that" many absurd challenges, and the only ones that were Golden Hammer immune had rewards that were affiliated with the Subspace Emissary.

Smash 3DS was also pretty lax with the Golden Hammer immune challenges, as the hardest Golden Hammer immune challenge was to just clear Classic at intensity 9.0; the rest are quite easy to accomplish if you have the patience to do them.

Snerp

Smash Cadet
Favorite - Ness is finally good.

Least Favorite - Lucina being the Pichu of Sm4sh.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
Favorite: Yoshi is good.

Least favorite:
Almost all recoveries are too good and it makes the matches way too long a lot of the time.
This, but moreso the fact that pretty much every attack sends the opponent flying at a >30 degree angle, so even if their recovery is "bad" they're high enough in the air to make it back. Also the extended blast zones, yuck. Survivability go home

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Favourite

-Pit got to have Codecs in Wii U version.
-Fantastic Kid Icarus music and remixes.
-Everything is gorgeous. Especially Final Destination.
-The roster size, as well as the inclusion of some particularly interesting characters i.e. :4darkpit:, :4palutena:, :4duckhunt:, :4villager:, :4bowserjr:,:4pacman:.

Least Favourite

- Shulk's voice.
- Sonic being ridiculously annoying.
- People who play Bowser. Jr but don't pick the Morton alt.
- For Glory is horrible and you should not go there.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Most disliked: No Japanese voice option in the US ver, still don't like Greninja, still don't like Olimar, still don't like Rosalina, still don't like Sonic, no ongoing balance.

Liked: Everything else

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Favourite Thing: The balance. There's no such thing as an unwinnable matchup this time.

Least Favourite Thing: The cuts, though I'm mostly over it.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Favorite Thing : :4drmario: is back. The game is really balanced. The online with friends is great.

Least Favorite Thing : The Single-Player is flat. There's nothing to do really. In Smash 64, the classic mode was okay since the game wasn't that big and was designed to be played with friends. Melee had the Adventure mode, that I could play for hours since it let's your imagination do the story. Brawl had the Subspace mode, with a cool story that made no real sense.
Smash 4 has nothing. The classic mode isn't that interresting, the Orders are boring, Smash Tour has no purpose, even with friends, and the "Adventure" mode of the 3DS version is reptitive. Only the events are cool, but even them are boring in the long run.
That's my only real complain about Smash 4.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Least Favorite:

The way how the AI gangs up on you. may it be in events, classic mode or just smash. It just feels ridiculously bad how 3 bots are standing near the edge, waiting for me without punching each other.
The cut of :wolf:. He was one of my best friend's favorites and I miss the matches we had.

Favorite:

:4wiifit:

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Favorites:
Improved mechanics and speed from Brawl Fantastic Kid Icarus Everything. (in Wii U version.) Everything is gorgeous. Especially Final Destination.
Most disliked:
The roster. No Japanese voice option in the US ver. no ongoing balance. the cuts. and The Single-Player is flat.

Last edited:

ceboidea

Smash Rookie
NNID
lufikri
Most disliked: No Japanese voice option in the US ver, still don't like Greninja, still don't like Olimar, still don't like Rosalina, still don't like Sonic, no ongoing balance.

Liked: Everything else
ohh my god japanese voice option would be incredible
i actually jokingly had an idea before like if project M ever got an option for that but yeah that would be amazing
(especially since pretty much all of the japanese voices sound 10x more serious and the american ones just kind of sound. kiddish. 4kids level. BACK SLASH!)

Raijinken

Smash Master
ohh my god japanese voice option would be incredible
i actually jokingly had an idea before like if project M ever got an option for that but yeah that would be amazing
(especially since pretty much all of the japanese voices sound 10x more serious and the american ones just kind of sound. kiddish. 4kids level. BACK SLASH!)
I keep my sfx modded to Japanese when playing Project M specifically for that reason.

I've gotten kinda used to hearing the characters in English, but I still make fun of all of them because they sound so forced. Playing through FE Awakening and Xenoblade both in Japanese let me temporarily forget how terribly cheesy most English acting is.

ProfTrumanchez

Smash Cadet
NNID
ProfTrumanchez
3DS FC
0731-4753-9860
Favorites:
The soundtrack is brilliant, the character models and animations are crisp, vivid, and full of life, and the free-for-alls are the best the series has seen yet. I dunno why, but Giant Punching Shulk while trying to avoid Bowser Jr.'s cannonballs is exhilarating and a blast to play. The depth and variety of the roster is the jewel in this iteration's crown. MEGA MANNNNNN

Gripes:
The Wii U version has the weakest single player in Smash's 15 year legacy. Classic is a butchered and cluttered mess, Target Blast is shallow (the multiplayer option does little to spark more interest to me), and Smash Tour is horrendous, what seems to be intriguing turns into a rushed and convoluted board game with baffling rules and snooze-inducing gameplay. Look, if I have three of my buddies over for Smash, we're gonna play SMASH. Not some tacked-on board game sideshow. It's even more bizarre to know that Sakurai chose the game-exclusive modes for these two versions of Sm4sh BEFORE development began... Why did Smash Run feel like it was worthy for man hours to be dumped into?
It's no secret that the 3DS version ultimately gimped the Wii U version in producing an ultimate Smash experience, as Sakurai strives to do with each new addition to the series. To me, that assurance of an ultimate Smash experience cannot be fulfilled with the exclusion of fan-favorite characters, omissions of staple modes, and hollow additions that do little to mend what feels like an extremely rushed pair of games. Brawl and even Melee had more appealing content than these games. I'm not denying the polish, love, and mastery found within these games, but if Mr. Sakurai himself toiled away at these games like they were the last the world would ever know, it comes nowhere near what I would call the ultimate Smash experience.
As much as I'd like a new person to take the reins on Smash, I have no idea who has enough passion and determination to provide enough polish and love to this franchise. Sakurai needs a long-ass vacation.
And if the guy's gonna tote around Dark Pit in freakin' SUPER SMASH BROTHERS and claim to be DONE with the Kid Icarus games, he better just be doing one of his trademark bluffs. That crap should be his new Kirby. Kid Icarus Air Ride anyone?

(+) The new characters; the updates to returning characters; the new music; the rectification of poor design choices in the past; the visual flair added to matches; the polished gameplay; patches; Final Destination coming in different skins; challenging solo game modes; trophy shop is a good spiritual return of the lottery for getting those last elusive trophies; Smash Run is cool.

(–) The online is still subpar; some challenges require you to do something with all 50-ish characters; paying to raise Classic's difficulty; randomized prizes that are never what you're looking for; Smash Run isn't online; you have to do silly chores to unlock characters and stages.

(––) Multiplayer does not save your rule settings if you power off the game, nor does it remember your opponents/teammates if you go back to the menu. Redoing that stuff all the time is so unnecessary. It's like the game is asking me, "Do you want to do 2-minute smashes with two low-level CPU now, sire?" and my answer is always no.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Like: Sonic is good. Music is awesome. Smash Run. Balance. Custom moves. All the characters are fun to play with. Shulk and Little Mac are in the game.

Dislike: Smash Tour. Online lag. Some of the challenges. You pay coins for intensity. Custom equipment.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
Favorite: no more ledge hogging (I love it so much), and Master Orders/ Crazy Orders
Least favorite: Paying coins for classic mode

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Pros: Roster, 8 player Smash, everyone's selection of alts being bumped up to 8, playable online (especially when compared to Brawl), the fact that you can change the music for a stage before you select a stage (irks me when you have to go to My Music to turn on/off a song in Brawl/PM)

Cons: Nerfing the H out of Falco/Marth from Brawl, and the "ech" variety of custom moves. (Palutena and Mii Fighters had the best variety of custom moves, IMHO)

EDIT: Another con - Fox's voice. He sounded pretty awesome in Brawl, now every sound that comes out of his mouth makes me cringe. If anyone should have kept their Brawl voice track, it was Fox.

Last edited:

Kraetyz

Smash Cadet
Favorite things: The Aura is real. So, so real. Oh, and King K Rool music is insanely good.

Least favorite thing: What's a Smash Tour and how can I remove it from my game?

ImReallyFeelingIt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sailings
Fav.: All my mains from Brawl are so so much better, thank the lord.

Least: Snake? Snake?! SNAAAKKEEE!1!! ...Also no Ice climbers. I guess having a story mode would be a plus, too... Uhm... Also Diddy Kong. Ew. No.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Pros:
* The visuals in this game are stunning, they gave stages like The Great Cave Offensive such detail when you wouldn't see most of it in normal gameplay. The colors are bright, characters expressive, and some of the stages look gorgeous.
* The new music (what of it we got) is really good, if not a bit repetitive. The Super Mario World medley, Mii Channel, Super Mario Bros 3 Medley, and pretty much all of the Animal Crossing stuff is probably some of my favorite stuff from the series yet.
* 8 Player Smash. I cannot emphasize how fun this mode is. Not only does it take the 4-players-at-a-time restriction from pretty much every multiplayer game out there out of the equation, but it really gives battles a sense of freshness and good chaos that a 4 player battle can't give, even with 1 human and 7 CPUs.
*Special Orders are a surprisingly fun way to grind for rewards even if CDs hardly ever show up and I'd personally count as the true "main" exclusive mode of the game.

Cons:
* Sooo much is re-used from Brawl. Sound effects, voice clips, victory fanfares, hell even a good amount of the stages (we got 3 more new stages than Melee had), and even the general layout of the menus. I wasn't a fan of how Brawl's menus were layed out and much preferred how 64 and Melee handled things. It doesn't help that the control stick is super sensitive on the menus, which is just frustrating.
* Stage hazards make two stages completely unplayable
* Not enough new music (in that 50-Fact thing they were so proud of the amount of music in the game but only a fraction of it was new. I'm not saying this is terrible but it was a bit disappointing)
* Even though the game hasn't even been out two months, I can safely say Smash Tour is probably the single worst mode in any of the four (five?) Smash games. It goes way too fast, is not explained well at all, the between-round battles are way too short, and honestly the only interesting part was the final battle where each of your stocks are a different character (which should be its own thing in the next game). When we heard it was a board game mode sooo many people (myself included) were expecting something similar to Mario Party (well the good ones, anyway) but with Smash, but the two aren't comparable in the slightest. And considering this is presented as this game's answer to Adventure Mode and The Subspace Emissary (it even has it's own space on the main menu) it's all the more disappointing.
* Trophy-viewing was messed up, zooming in and out goes too fast so it's hard to be precise, and you can't look at the top or bottom of a trophy without it instantly snapping back to a front-view. Which kind of makes collecting trophies less rewarding because it's way harder to enjoy looking at them now.
* The intro movie was terrible
* Some characters (Peach) got the shaft in the alternate costume department. So many characters got cool references to past games in their respective franchises, some really obscure (NES Open Golf??) and only two of hers are references, Daisy and NES/Fire Peach, both of them just being half-hearted palette swaps. And she had so much material to work with too (SMB sprite, Melee dress, something from Mario Party 2, Shadow Queen, Sunshine dress, etc).
* All the time battles in Master Orders are way too short. 1 minute isn't nearly enough and matches usually end in Sudden Death (which is a terrible way to end ties but whatever). There were so many times when I probably would have won but I ran out of time.
* I love 8 Player Smash to death but I'm disappointed with the restrictions on which stages we can pick. Hopefully next time we have more of a selection.
*No Target Smash, instead some weird Angry Birds game. Nobody would have minded if we had both but apparently the team liked Target Blast better?

I know a ton of people rag on the 3DS version, even calling it a demo or whatever, but I truly believe it damaged the Wii U version. We already know it caused the Ice Climbers to be cut, and I feel like the new stages were split between the two versions. Had there been one version, none of the franchises would have gone without having a new stage on one of the versions (I actually made a list of what stages we would have, albeit with different returning ones, and it would have been way better than either version). Plus since all of the development power would have been devoted to one game, there'd probably have been an actual new 1P mode that was good (I'm still on the fence about considering Special Orders Event Mode with a fresh coat of paint or not).

I do like this game a lot (I think it has the best speed in the entire series), but I feel like, along with Mario Kart 8, it's light on content and just begging for DLC. However we probably won't get (not counting already-announced stuff) more than some new stages, maybe a new character or two and maaaybe new costumes. I don't expect any new modes and that's too bad because that's one of the biggest areas this game is lacking in right now.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
My most favorite and least favorite at the same time is the patching possibility.

As we now play a version of Smash where the meta game can change with buffs and nerfs, where the flavor of the month (Diddy) will be frowned upon, and loved by those who taste it.
So we'll be going on a bumpy ride, depending on if Sakurai actually has a brain, and not just a Kirby amiibo inside of his skull.

Last edited:

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Favorites:
* Speed increase from Brawl
* HD visuals and effects
* Tons of new content (music, trophies, customs etc) and characters
* Balance

Least favorites:
* Lack of hit stun
* Marth nerf
* Stages (I feel like there is alot left to be desired from the current stage list. What happened to the good kirby and yoshi stages? Corneria on Wii U? Why 75m? Why does almost every stage change every 15 seconds? Why so many old Brawl stages but very little Melee stages?)
*No Roy (I will be dissapointed about this in every smash game until he's back. Even if we are on smash 10, and he still hasn't been in since Melee, I will still be dissapointed that he's not announced.)
* The ability to choose difficulty in event mode and the lack of an actual reward for completing the final event. (It took me months to beat event 51 in Melee to unlock Final Destination, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.)

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that I brought up my dislikes, but as for my likes...

I like how Rosalina made it into the game as a playable character. Before Rosalina's confirmation, I got bashed for supporting her. It just feels good knowing that your support made the cut.

King K.Smasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadowGamer101
3DS FC
1075-0754-8063
Favorite: Dark Pits inclusion.
Least Favorite: Some of the character changes/nerfs. :4falco: D-air,/ U-Smash, :4olimar: More lag between moves, :4marth:Ariel change although its not that bad of a change.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I really wish they didn't waste time on Smash Tour... like I know there's a handful of people that like it but honestly I would've preferred a more cohesive single player game.
I think it's because this game only had about 18 months of dev time. Brawl had way more than that.
I do really enjoy the balancing this time, and the improved wi fi (though not perfect)

Cheezy23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cheezy23
I don't like Smash Tour. Too random, too boring.
I don't like how crazy some of the challenges are.

Otherwise, game is absolutely brilliant.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Things that are good: Wario, the music, FD mode, Mewtwo DLC.
Things that could be improved: Making Wolf playable.
Things that aren't good: Smash Tour.

Top Bottom