• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Game of All Time?

Sol Squid

Smash Cadet
When you hear a person's favorite game, it gives you a lot of insight on the person. You could probably guess someone's smash main fairly accurately by hearing their favorite game. So I want to hear about everyone's favorite experiences with gaming.
So, I'm going to start. It seems like it would be hard to think of my favorite game with so many games that I love. Banjo Tooie, Fire Emblem games, (Awakening in particular) Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario World, Jet Force Gemini, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario 64, All of the Professor Layton games, Harvest Moon games, etc. THERE IS SO MANY GOOD NINTENDO GAMES.
Somehow though, I have no doubt in my mind that my favorite game ever is Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door. THAT GAME HAS ALMOST NO FLAWS. (Except Chapter 4 was kinda stupid, but the twist and the partner were so good that I didn't care) The battle system is ABSOLUTE PERFECTION. I love most of the partners. (cough cough Ms. Mowz) The story in almost all of the chapters is so well thought out. Let's not forget the beauties that are Chapters 3 and 6. The final boss is SO AWESOME. All of the boss fights are pretty great. (Super cheap Cortez killed me all of he time. Three ----tail fights were kind of annoying, but whatever) The game was also developed by Inteligent Systems. (I love IS, they make so many amazing games.) Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door is just soo goood.

Your turn.

Last edited:

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, TF2, or Dragon Quest IX. Make a guess who my main is. HINT: The ones on my profile aren't completely correct.

Last edited:

Sol Squid

Smash Cadet
Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, TF2, or Dragon Quest IX. Make a guess who my main is. HINT: The ones on my profile aren't completely correct.
Okay, you like JRPGS. JRPGS are generally more complicated and tactical, so that gives makes me feel like you play Fox, but that could be reading too much. JRPGs could also make you believe thatn the person mains a person from a JRPG, Marth or Roy, but that seems random.
TF2 is overall a game that is tactical and aggressive. You can play multiple ways, close up, or far away. Fox, Falco, and Captain Falcon can all play aggressively, but that depends on your definition. You could say it involves getting up close and personal, or keeping yourself where you play at your best. A lot of characters play aggresively in that case, but I am led the most due to all of your choices to pick either Fox, Falco, or Marth.

AudioSilver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-7513-8784
Other than Super Smash Bros., my favorite game is Rune Factory 4. Of the top of my head anyway...

I almost never play anything, besides Melee though.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Okay, you like JRPGS. JRPGS are generally more complicated and tactical, so that gives makes me feel like you play Fox, but that could be reading too much. JRPGs could also make you believe thatn the person mains a person from a JRPG, Marth or Roy, but that seems random.
TF2 is overall a game that is tactical and aggressive. You can play multiple ways, close up, or far away. Fox, Falco, and Captain Falcon can all play aggressively, but that depends on your definition. You could say it involves getting up close and personal, or keeping yourself where you play at your best. A lot of characters play aggresively in that case, but I am led the most due to all of your choices to pick either Fox, Falco, or Marth.
I play Luigi in Melee and Yoshi in PM. The "complicated and tactical" part describes Yoshi pretty well, though. Also, my TF2 mains are Heavy, Demo, and Engie.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I know it's cliche, but Zelda OOT is honestly my favorite game ever. I honestly think I can play it over and over again. And it is probably my most replayed game ever (counting all of the ports).

Khamel_IVA

Smash Rookie
I did really like Xenoblade on the Wii, but still I think my all time favorite is Timesplitters 2 or the original Goldeneye.
Good runner ups are SF2 and 4, Turok evolution, Enter the Matrix (a guilty pleasure) and Soul calibur 2.
Also I've wasted hundreds of hours to Binding of Isaac.

HeroponJohn

Smash Rookie
NNID
chuggaa
3DS FC
0018-3697-7673
My favourite games are (in no particular order) Xenoblade chronicles, Rogue galaxy, Kid Icarus Uprising, Legend of zelda: Link's awakening DX and Mother 3. as you see i love rpg's xD

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
1. Donkey Kong Country 2
2. Persona 4
3. Maplestory
4. Smash Brothers (Series)
5. Runescape
6. Earthbound / Mother 3
7. Majora's Mask
8. Dance Dance Revolution Extreme
9. Kid Icarus: Uprising
10. Mario Party 2

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX

Without a doubt, Sonic Adventure 2. It hasn't aged well, it's flawed to the core and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone these days but I still have a blast playing it. It's probably my most played through game and I'm sure that I've dumped an embarrassing amount of hours between the DC and GCN versions.

Aside from that, other honorable mentions include the entire PS1 Spyro trilogy, Final Fantasy I and IX, Sonic 2, Kingdom Hearts, World of Warcraft, Warcraft III, Uncharted 1, Halo CE, Half-Life 1. Actually, the more I think about it the more I realize how genuinely difficult it would be for me to compile a Top 10 list since I just have so many games I consider my favorites.

AkumaKing

Smash Apprentice
I have multiple favorites, sorted by genre. And I usually view games as a series instead of individually. Picking any favorites overall just is too hard since I like all these games I'll mention equally.

Platformer: Mega Man and Ninja Gaiden (original on NES)
RPG: Elder Scrolls and Final Fantasy
MMORPG: Neverwinter (although this could change if Black Desert is as awesome as I hope it is)
Traditional Fighter: Street Fighter
Roguelike: Mystery Dungeon
FPS: Doom
Survival Horror: Resident Evil
SHMUP: Touhou

Edit:
Also, Smash Bros as a series is beloved to me as heck. I just wasn't sure what to call it. Party Fighter? Platformer Fighter?

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Sonic Unleashed is still my favourite game

The HD version specifically.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Melee is the gift that keeps on giving

Skyrim and Fallout 3 - to this day I discover new ways to play and hidden things in those games. The worlds feel so real and immersive.

I also love playing Bionic Commando on the Game Boy, it's such a superior version. I've speed run it so many times I've lost count, it's a beautiful game. For some reason it makes me sad that it's price is so low for how rare and highly rated it is....

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I honestly feel like my favorite game of all time is ALWAYS the one that I'm currently playing through. While I'm going through a game, I will devotedly talk about it nonstop and tell people that it's the best thing ever and they need it in their lives. My favorite game of all time can sometimes change up to 4-5 times in a single month.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I honestly feel like my favorite game of all time is ALWAYS the one that I'm currently playing through. While I'm going through a game, I will devotedly talk about it nonstop and tell people that it's the best thing ever and they need it in their lives. My favorite game of all time can sometimes change up to 4-5 times in a single month.
I have a friend who's like that, except his in on a consistent monthly basis, sometimes 2 in a month.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
I am all over the place with my games. I love Smash Bros (4 is my favorite in the series). I also really love Xenogears for the PS1. Mortal Kombat series is what made me a guy who likes games to an actual gamer. I cannot believe K Khamel_IVA mentioned Timesplitters as that is my favorite FPS and I assume most people forgot it existed. Fallout 3 is in there as well.

I can't pick a real favorite out of those as it would depend on my mood as they are generally vastly different.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Dark Souls.
There's just so many good things I can say about this game. The combat feels amazing, it's a rewarding game that punishes you for your own mistakes (Outside of one boss...), the lore in it is fantastic, the multiplayer is done in such a way that's so unique to the franchise it's one of the most defining features...

I could go on and on and on.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Dark Souls.
There's just so many good things I can say about this game. The combat feels amazing, it's a rewarding game that punishes you for your own mistakes (Outside of one boss...), the lore in it is fantastic, the multiplayer is done in such a way that's so unique to the franchise it's one of the most defining features...

I could go on and on and on.
2spooky5me

Seriously though I need to play Dark Souls, I have 1 and 2 for PS3 just sitting there waiting for me. I'm just afraid I will get obsessed with it, I'm already obsessed with too many things. HALP! :psycho:

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
2spooky5me

Seriously though I need to play Dark Souls, I have 1 and 2 for PS3 just sitting there waiting for me. I'm just afraid I will get obsessed with it, I'm already obsessed with too many things. HALP! :psycho:
Give it a try. The first is harder imo from personal experience, but I also enjoy it more.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Play Demon's Souls first.

It's got a cute lady!
2cute6me

I actually had Demon's Souls for a few days 2 months ago (it came in a lot of games I acquired). I was gonna play it while I had it listed but it sold the 2nd day I had it up. So it slipped through my fingers :facepalm:

2cute6me

I actually had Demon's Souls for a few days 2 months ago (it came in a lot of games I acquired). I was gonna play it while I had it listed but it sold the 2nd day I had it up. So it slipped through my fingers :facepalm:
That's a shame. It's my favorite Souls game! The lack of recognition it gets from the Souls community at large is criminal. It's almost as overlooked as King's Field.

Last edited:

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
LoZ: Majora's Mask is the greatest video game ever made. It's atmosphere is completely different from any Zelda game I have ever played. It is one of the few games where I actually cared about the NPCs. Since the three day cycle makes these people run on a pre-set schedule, every character has their own story and you will connect emotionally with each of these characters.

The Anju and Kafei sidequest is probably the best sidequest in any video game. The sidequest itself isn't very difficult however it is very possible to mess up the first time you are doing it. For example if you forget to give the pendant to Anju before you help Kafei get the Sun's mask, he will come back (right before the moon is about to fall) to the room right where he thought his lover would be and he will simply say "she didn't come."

It is a game that truly holds you accountable for what happens in this game because you are the only one who can help anyone, you are the only one who can save the world from being completely destroyed. The last dungeon inside the moon perhaps contains the strangest section of any Zelda game in terms of visuals and dialogue.

If you are really curious there is plenty and I mean plenty of nightmare fuel in this game. Also the music is fantastic.

Aidan25

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidan
3DS FC
0361-7892-7562
I have so many more great games that I want to purchase and play that I've read are great games all over the internet, so my tastes may not be as diverse as others. I really enjoy the Ratchet and Clank series and am currently playing Mother/Earthbound which is so unique that it makes me love it and don't even think I'm halfway through it. I also enjoyed a game called ChoroQ or ChoroQ HG 4 for the PS2 which most people overlook but it's a car-RPG (yeah, they made that) with a lot of quirks but for some reason I like it. I also really like Saber Wulf and Spyro Adventure for the GBA.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
For me, it'd be something with a lot of replay value. Or online multiplayer fun. Like Splatoon or Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
The Kingdom Hearts series. I'm truly blinded by nostalgia.
Only for the first KH. That isn't Final Mix with the fixed camera controls. Even then, KH:FM is pretty dated. It can't decide if it's an action RPG or a platformer. I'm actually replaying the first one right NOW and it's not as good as I remembered.

KH2 is still pretty good. Luckily the decided that platforming doesn't suit the game and focused on the combat. KH2FM is really great because of the Critical Mode...the only mode that actually makes the game really enjoyable. Every other difficulty is "mash X to win."

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I actually enjoyed the open nature of KH1, I think the series really lost something when they became more linear afterwards.

FoxwolfJackson

Smash Rookie
I think my favorite games are stuck somewhere between Final Fantasy 6, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger, and maybe Ogre Battle 64 depending on my mood.

Zeepington

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeeper

Somehow I don't even care I wasted about a year of my life on this game and its counterparts, Source and GO. (since 2008 that is)

Last edited:
Top Bottom