• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite fighter besides Smash

RizardoLawless

Smash Journeyman
Mine's Marvel vs Capcom 2. I especially love how the teams system slightly combats tiers by mixing it up though combinations.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
doa4 for me. it normally gets dissed for its weak fighting system but i happen to like it a lot.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I'm a big fan of the Tekken series. I've played countless hours in the arcade, and I have Tekken Tag Tournament, Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 (which has all the original Tekken Arcade games, meaning 1,2 and 3).

I only played Soul Calibur II, but what I saw, I loved.

Also, I only know DOA 2 and 3. The third I only played shortly on an X-Box at a local gamestore (I don't have an X-Box). I own the second part though, and I gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Other than that, I also loved playing Street Fighter Arcade (dunno which part) when I was twelve.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
To be totally honest, my favorite fighting game series is Melty Blood, specifically the newest incarnation, Act Cadenza. Oddly enough, it trumps the other fighters I play (which are, I assure you, numerous) not for its intricate combo system or the incredible variety in characters, but for it's storyline and characters. It's based on a japanese visual novel called Tsukihime, which I have played rather extensively, so you know that it has a good story, as it is based off of, essentially, a book, which has no other means of entertainment.

Story aside, though, the game is really fast-paced, and the system allows for huge, elaborate combos. Every character is hugely different from each other, even the clones. The few clones they do have are treated in much the same way as Luigi or Falco; at first glance, they may look similar, but their playstyles are totally different from their counterparts (with the possible exception of Nanaya Shiki <_<) No two characters play even remotely similar to each other, and most characters have some sort of gimmick you need to master to play them effectively. Arcueid has her wallbounces and relaunches, Ciel has her incredibly diverse okizeme game, Akiha has high/lows, etc.

The game *seems* to be fairly balanced, though that could have to do with its relative lack of popularity in America. Well, not relative, I suppose, nobody really plays it in America. The tier lists from the early days of Act Cadenza looked entirely different from the current lists. Only a select few characters stayed at their ranks, while the rest pretty much just flipped around. Kouma used to be considered the worst non-joke character in the game, but now, he's S tier. Red Acrueid used to be considered the best in the game, but now she's mid-tier. Come to think of it, that doesn't really suggest balance, but you don't see a character division like that in SSBM or MvC2; everyone plays the character they like the most, and they always have a good chance of victory.

I dunno, I guess you could say that the main reason why I like Melty Blood more than other games is because I'm a fan of the game it's based on, but even without that, it's an incredibly solid game, especially considering that it's basically a fan-made game for all intents and purposes, and is definitely worth checking out for any fans of 2d fighters.

PEPA!

Smash Cadet
Street fighter (SF2, CVS2, 3S) KOF, dont really mess with 3d fighters except Dead or Alive because of the speed of combat its very good...anybody play street fighter on XBLA? hit me up im SUPER SIMEON

courte

Smash Lord
i gotta say almost anything capcom does i worship, but SF over all the others... i miss those EX chars so much
and then a small amount SNK's stuff... only truly loved Last Blade and MoTW, Sam-Sho barely held me, a few of their classic entertained me and a few of the KoF chars were cool... Must Deviate
/End rant regretably

also just gotta point out this
http://fightingstreet.com/folders/variousinfofolder/ripofffolder/ripoffpage1.html

omg capcom copies characters that didn't even exist yet!! i don't know if its biased or exagerration... wait it's both lol
-------------------------------------------
anyone know if melty blood is available in english now or what?? i been trying to keep up on new fighters, especially 2d but the good, not franchise ones all seem to be based of japanese doujin [Melty Blood and fate Stay] or something else... i don't live near an arcade :( and i don't know if they currently carry rumble fish in america... i see Arc System Works and Sammy have been putting good stuff out, and i'd like to try Big Bang Beat, Sengoku Basara X, The Rumble Fish... But MAME...

/FINAL END RANT!!

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Some of those rip-offs make no sense. From my knowledge Xenogears was made quite a number of years AFTER SF2. How could Capcom have copied a char out of a game that wasn't even created yet?

errr anyways on topic probably MvC2

Marzy

Smash Cadet
Has to be Street Fighter 2 Turbo for me, Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter very good fighters as well though.

courte

Smash Lord
while looking for this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZv-bzaerBE&feature=related

i found this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x63mGnfHSbA

-----------------------------

also a thought just occurred to me, just a thought, so stfu to the guy/d!ckwad who's going to say "Dur namco and bandai own it!!" we all know that

what would happen if Sammy/Arc System Works made a DB game, yes in 2D??... and i guess DBZ
Triangle-Strong Punch
Circle-Strong Kick
Square-Low Punch
X-Low Kick
RI-Block/Dash
L1-Ki[Charge] or item

Dail-A-Combo Style perhaps??
customization beyond items would be tourney illegal, and in the tradition of dragging out fights... all start with four life bars no energy and damage ratio set to minimum
it would fix the brokeness of the other games

I WOULD SO MAIN KID GOKU, DEDICATED, NO ONE ELSE EVER!!
some of the other retros for casuals i guess

The Star King

Smash Hero
I can't believe no1 said this yet gamers have bad taste these days. (no offense)

JUMP ULTIMATE STARS seriously it's just like smash.

Trioptical

Smash Cadet
Soul Calibur 2 GC edition. Sucker for Link.

Unfortunately, I was so focused on learning Link that once SCIII came out, I could no longer play the game competitively with my friends.

Umm, probably DOA after that. Or Battle Arena Toshinden.

Kips

Smash Ace
Have to say that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is amazing but unfortunately very rare. My cousin recently found and bought a copy for 60 dollars I believe. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong Marvel vs. Capcom, in which I would recommend getting a copy ASAP. Love the cactus guy.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I grew up with Mortal Kombat, so for me, it's a tie between Mortal Kombat 2 and Mortal Kombat 4. They were both just so **** good...

Plus. you gotta love Scorpion:

Spear -> Get Over Here! -> Uppercut.

Classic...

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
Im in training using my new hrap 2 on Marvel vs. Capcom 2. That game has SOOOOO much depth its crazy. You guys should def put up the money for it.

S2

Smash Lord
A hard question cause I love fighters.

Probably MvC2 for 2D and Naruto: GNT4 for 3D (an anime fighter that is quite deep a good?)

But its hard to choose. I've played tons of every Street Fighter since 2, love Guilty Gear, Tekken, DOA, Soul Caliber, and lots of other random games.

There is no game though, that can rival my love for Smash. I can deal with being mediocre at all other fighting games (IE just good enough to beat my friends)... but with Smash I feel compelled to constantly be improving my game.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Mortal Kombat....."GET OVER HERE".....in the new Mortal Kombats (Armageddon, Shaolin Monks). He says "GET OVER HERE B****"....gotta love Scorpion lol

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
I really liked Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES. It was the only standard 2d fighter game that I could somewhat play half-decently at. Oh, and it was a lot of fun to me.

Top Bottom