• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Down Throw Follow-Up

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
So a lot of my Mega Man game revolves around throws for damage building (for better or for worse). Down throw is almost always what I go for in this situation. I've found, especially at lower percents, we have quite a few options to follow up:

Dthrow > fair (> bair on air dodge)
Dthrow > uair
Dthrow > bair
Dthrow > nair

These all work fine when the opponent doesn't air dodge (or is too slow on the air dodge). If we read the air dodge we have more options:

Dthrow > Usmash
Dthrow > Grab
Dthrow > Fsmash (Does this actually work? I've heard other people suggest it, but I've never tried it myself.)

Basically any xair as well. I myself am a fan of the regrab in this situation. In fact it seems the only safe option out of a Dthrow from Mega is to jump out of the hitstun, which isn't possible at lower percents if I'm not mistaken.

So my question for you guys is what is your favorite Dthrow follow-up, and which ones aren't worth your time? Feel free to add more to the list as well. As always mix ups are important so feel free to name a couple.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Pretty sure most chars can't air dodge out of dthrow bair at low percents when done correctly.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
The Fsmash after an airdodge usually works for me, at low percents, because of the landing lag after the airdodge, if you time it right you can get a quick Fsmash off.

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
Pretty sure most chars can't air dodge out of dthrow bair at low percents when done correctly.
Interesting, I know some characters can't, but I was pretty sure other characters can (Pikachu immediately comes to mind). That said, I usually go for a fair in those situations, would a RAR bair come out quicker if done correctly? I usually only go for the bair when they DI towards me, and even then I usually go for a uair to keep bair fresh.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
The most I like using is Dthrow to Nair/Fair. If my opponent isn't trying to get away sometimes i manage to get 3 armcannon Nair just after the first one if your opponent really out to get you. I found every thing useful other then Uair they always seem to airdodge in time before I can get them. Maybe I'm doing it when they are to high of a percent or maybe Dthrow>Uair only works on heavy at low percents.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Dthrow>Fair>Uair. It's a beautiful thing when it works. Especially when you can follow the Uair with another Uair. The problem with it is twofold.

A: If they know the matchup, after Dthrow Fair, they'll usually DJ away in order to reset. There's not really much you can do about that unless you can try and trap the landing.
B: Since you have to follow their trajectory after the FAir, you have to be wary of fast aerials as this isn't a true combo.

I mix it into my normal Dthrow>Fair>MB>Grab, which is my standard pressure and spacing tool off of a grab. The Fair puts them at mid-range and I can continue my lemon pressure from there.

Off of an air dodge, Dthrow>Fsmash is one that I have opted for lately, but my favorite is definitely Dthrow>Empty jump>grab>Dthrow. You get to play with your food here as much as you want. If they double jump after the down throw, you can trap the landing with fsmash or metal blade, which leads into more grabs. Also, Dthrow>empty jump>utilt is definitely doable off of an air dodge to send a message for them never to air dodge after Dthrow. 75% of people will absorb that mental blow and respond by double jumping after a Dthrow making them very predictable.

Sometimes I just Dthrow and taunt as they retreat. #disrespect

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
Ooooh, I never thought of fair->uair. I bet this could hit even if they air dodge before the fair hits =D I'll definitely add that one to my list of tricks.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Ooooh, I never thought of fair->uair. I bet this could hit even if they air dodge before the fair hits =D I'll definitely add that one to my list of tricks.
If you full hop into a fair and they air dodge, you can do a uair while landing to frame trap them.

Most humans know to double jump away at this point to avoid followups, but hey, sometimes they don't.

uncaDon

Smash Cadet
Dthrow utilt sourspot is kinda cute, but fairly suboptimal. I just love how it looks.

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
Just a note on Dthrow -> fair -> uair. Turns out if your fair hits you'll wanna back off, as most characters can nair before the uair comes out. Still, it's nice because it gives you an option if they air dodge your fair.

Top Bottom