• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite and least favorite moves to use as Mewtwo?

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
This could be a good to survey what moves need to be buffed.

So far we've got..
Most favorite moves on this thread: Down tilt, forward air, shadowball, neutral air

Least favorite moves on this thread: Down throw, forward tilt, up tilt

mixed: Disable.
Hell no.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Seems pretty accurate to me.
No, what I mean is the part when he said "This could be a good to survey what moves need to be buffed."
Hell no to that.

On up tilt, by the way, I disagree with it being a bad move. It's a weird one for sure, but it's by no means a bad move - it grants access to great kill setups, such as jab - up tilt - up smash and up tilt - up smash, can combo into other ground attacks (if you hit with the hitbox that sends you slightly upwards) and another hitbox of the move can allow for up airs or back airs.

It's a solid move, people just dismiss it because it's one of his weirdest.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
Up tilt needs a wider horizontal hitbox. I shouldn't have to be so close to the enemy and force a down tilt to hit. Too many times I've had people right behind me and my tail goes right through them.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Up tilt needs a wider horizontal hitbox. I shouldn't have to be so close to the enemy and force a down tilt to hit. Too many times I've had people right behind me and my tail goes right through them.
Even though some logic doesn't apply to Smash 4, I think I've cracked it. I may be wrong, hey.

Say if you have a tail and you do a backflip with it, if your opponent is right in front of you or up in front of you, you'll get hit. But at the back? You won't, because that's not where the strength comes in.

I'm quite sure I'm wrong, in fact I think I'm 100% sure I'm wrong, there's just a ton of hitbox problems in this game. Of course I don't know what to do on this one.

I don't really have anything else to say on the matter, but I don't really know if I care about the back part of up tilt honestly.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Inevitably, there will be at least one move that is the "least favourite" so this isn't really a reason to buff a given move. They should only really be buffed if they are not fulfilling their purpose and are fundamentally broken.

They (FTilt, UTilt, DThrow) aren't technically broken... just not as useful. Ftilt would be more useful if it were faster or had less endlag, but the best buff I can imagine for it would be to give it more range than DTilt.

UTilt frustrates me a little when it whiffs horizontally too... it would be a great "get off me" otherwise, but right now its a nice follow up to a landed NAir so at least it has a bit of utility. I don't think its broken, and so I don't think it needs to be fixed.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I used to love using D-throw with Mew back in Melee, but not now with SBB4 Mew2.

I like Double Fair strings, hitting people through the the stage with Bair, dragging them thru the air with Nair, if i can get a Spike, that's always great!
when you manage to use disable on someone, and you can charge a smash move for the kill, that's awesome~
Up throw/back throw kills always feel great, holding the opponent in place, while taking a few seconds zapping them, and they know they are about to be killed becuz their percent is high, but they can never break free... that's the best part! :demon:

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I legitimately think there are no moves that I DON'T use. I pretty much use everything as the situation calls for it.

That being said, if I had to pick, I'd say down throw, followed by Disable. Down throw is just too laggy it get any setups out of it (especially since up throw makes them a lot more vulnerable) and Disable is situational at best. that said, I've gotten some great surprise Disables that have netted me wins with my back to the wall.

D

Deleted member

You guys weren't kidding about how good of a move down smash is. Even though it only hits in front of him it's much safer on shield than fsmash since Mewtwo can act out of it faster, not to mention I love the move's animation.

It's like Mewtwo's going "WHAT ARE THOOOOOOSE", except the person he's pointing at dies. Beautiful.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You guys weren't kidding about how good of a move down smash is. Even though it only hits in front of him it's much safer on shield than fsmash since Mewtwo can act out of it faster, not to mention I love the move's animation.

It's like Mewtwo's going "WHAT ARE THOOOOOOSE", except the person he's pointing at dies. Beautiful.
I see it more as "I know you're going to be right..." as he charges, "there!!!" once he unleashes it. Even better, the way he eyes his opponent while charging makes it look like he's sending that message telepathically.

godogod

Smash Ace
Does anyone know how many frames Mewtwo's down throw lasted in his debut trailer and any other differences vs after he was released?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Does anyone know how many frames Mewtwo's down throw lasted in his debut trailer and any other differences vs after he was released?
Unless I'm mistaken (and I might be), Mewtwo's down throw has the exact same amount of end lag as when he debuted. Which is the problem, because it's too much lag to get any reasonable follow-ups.

godogod

Smash Ace
But in the trailer, he got it to sync with up smash. That's why I ask.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
To answer your question, Mewtwo's down throw actually never had any combos in early development. If you look closely, the other fighters could've jumped out or air-dodged because they were out of hitstun.

So, I guess they wanted to show that? I really don't know, honestly.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
To answer your question, Mewtwo's down throw actually never had any combos in early development. If you look closely, the other fighters could've jumped out or air-dodged because they were out of hitstun.

So, I guess they wanted to show that? I really don't know, honestly.
Main point of that display to me was showing sliding usmash and how fast it is.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I am puzzled. I definitely used to be able to get great momentum from a reversed aerial SB into an USmash but since that was nerfed I don't see how I can get that much momentum from out of a DThrow... Suggestion?

haha i laughed harder than i should have. just imagined mewtwo being triggered by zss's heels.

uhh if i had to give a least favourite move, it'd be ftilt. dthrow can be subbed in at least vs floaties who can avoid the sballs from fthrow without much effort, but ftilt.... ehh. i mean the move has it's niche uses like ftilting the ledge to punish lack of ledge snap if you're not close enough for dsmash/dair, but even then it's just a poor alternative.

there's too many to list for favourites <3.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

haha i laughed harder than i should have. just imagined mewtwo being triggered by zss's heels.

uhh if i had to give a least favourite move, it'd be ftilt. dthrow can be subbed in at least vs floaties who can avoid the sballs from fthrow without much effort, but ftilt.... ehh. i mean the move has it's niche uses like ftilting the ledge to punish lack of ledge snap if you're not close enough for dsmash/dair, but even then it's just a poor alternative.

there's too many to list for favourites <3.
Oh my god I'm so taking a screenshot of this. These boards need it.

Agreed on ftilt. Too slow to be an effective spacer or get off me move for Mewtwo, and does pitiful knockback.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Favorites:

Down Smash
Down Tilt
Shadow Ball
Forward Air
Down Air
Up Throw

Dislike:

Jab
Side Tilt
Down Throw

I can go into detail later, but others covered my thoughts already. I try to come up with uses for every move, but some have less use than others for me.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Favorites:

Down Smash
Down Tilt
Shadow Ball
Forward Air
Down Air
Up Throw

Dislike:

Jab
Side Tilt
Down Throw

I can go into detail later, but others covered my thoughts already. I try to come up with uses for every move, but some have less use than others for me.
Why do you dislike Jab? I understand that you may think that it's somewhat outclassed by down tilt, but the fact that it's far from a bad move, I don't really think it deserves to be on your least favorites.

Maybe that's just me. I like jab. I don't think it's an excellent move but it's pretty decent. Especially since it gives Mewtwo a lot of his kill setup potential.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Why do you dislike Jab? I understand that you may think that it's somewhat outclassed by down tilt, but the fact that it's far from a bad move, I don't really think it deserves to be on your least favorites.

Maybe that's just me. I like jab. I don't think it's an excellent move but it's pretty decent. Especially since it gives Mewtwo a lot of his kill setup potential.
Oh yeah, I don't think it's a bad move at all. I just think it's sort of mediocre compared to other options. I think it could afford to be slightly faster so there's more of a reason to go for it.

Up Tilt was one I forgot about. It's just really strange.

Last edited:

Beaniethecorgi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3411-2798-9449

LOL NEVER THOUGHT OF IT LIKE THAT. It seems a lot safer then f-smash too!

Endurrr

Smash Cadet
Favorites:

Nair: Something about this move and the mobility you can maintain while using it makes it such a fun move to use
Dsmash: gr8 b8 m8. Love hitting this on shield and punishing baited players
Down B: I dont spam it. I rarely use it at all. But when I read how I can get the move in and actually land it, it's so satisfying to do so.

Least favorites:

Bair: This only applies on stage while trying to hit a grounded opponent. From my experience its picky and has blind spots making shorthop rising bair unable to hit a lot of characters.
Dthrow: It pops them up RIGHT THERE! for a combo. RIGHT THERE! BUT THERE'S NO GUARANTEED FOLLOWUPS?!?!?! UAUAAUHGHGHG
Side B: Same as Dthrow.
Fsmash: Its basically Dsmash but worse imo

godogod

Smash Ace
Side B isn't that bad at all. It has a ton of utilities. A reflector, anti-shield move, aids with recovery(vertical jump), and it can follow up to side or down smash(or fair or other aerial in the air) easily if the opponent doesn't DI. Its a lot more reliable than down throw. If side b true combo'd into a smash attack, it would be a bit imbalanced and make some combo starters pointless to use, considering how safe it is because it can't be shielded. I would rather have down throw combo up to 40-50% than confusion. Down throw really needs some utility.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Side B: Same as Dthrow.
Confusion isn't really meant to be used as a combo tool for the most part and is pretty limited as such as nothing is really true from it (aerial confusion to forward air might be, not sure). It's purely a command grab, a reflector, and a recovery/stall option, and for those purposes, it does its job well and is very versatile.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just wanna say I've been a real fan of up tilt lately. It's relatively fast, its low knockback is great for starting aerial followups, can juggle some fastfallers (it's a real help in the Falcon MU, especially), and using the move to link into up smash at the right percents... hngggg. <3

Endurrr

Smash Cadet
Confusion isn't really meant to be used as a combo tool for the most part and is pretty limited as such as nothing is really true from it (aerial confusion to forward air might be, not sure). It's purely a command grab, a reflector, and a recovery/stall option, and for those purposes, it does its job well and is very versatile.
Well I use it for recovery and reflecting and I find use out of it that way, but grounded it pops them up perfectly for a followup and yet you cant. Thats why I dont like it. He doesnt have any combos out of grab or command grab

godogod

Smash Ace
I just wanna say I've been a real fan of up tilt lately. It's relatively fast, its low knockback is great for starting aerial followups, can juggle some fastfallers (it's a real help in the Falcon MU, especially), and using the move to link into up smash at the right percents... hngggg. <3
I just want wider horizontal hitboxes on this move for more consistent hits, plus I wish he got some coverage from behind cause it just doesn't get anyone from behind.. I feel like unless you use downtilt, or they're right in front of you, its not the most reliable move.

Well I use it for recovery and reflecting and I find use out of it that way, but grounded it pops them up perfectly for a followup and yet you cant. Thats why I dont like it. He doesnt have any combos out of grab or command grab
If you do a smash (down or forward smash) immediately right after, you can get a hit if they aren't careful and try to d.i. out of it. Honestly, in FG and fighting with friend in with friends mode, I've gotten more free side smashes than none at all. But yeah, confusion has plenty of utilities and I feel like its one of his moves that really doesn't need buffs whatsoever.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
D-tilt is my favourite. Mewtwo can make a decent wall of defense against rush-downs. F-air as well. It brings back Melee memories when it successfully strings.
N-air, b-air, jab, u-tilt, side b, neutral b and u-smash are probably my most commonly used moves. I should use d-smash more but often the situation doesn't call for it as much.

There are some moves I find I don't use *as* much, but I still use them regardless. Like f-throw, f-tilt, rapid jab and d-smash. I love pivot f-tilts.

Mewtwo's animations are beautiful in this game~

U-tilt has become more of a favourite for me now after I killed with it and won the match, much to the shock of my opponent. XD

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Faves:
Nair because it looks super cool and is satisfying to hit with the zappy zaps and all.
Fair because it's practical, looks cool and hits like a truck.
Usmash because it has near Ganondorf levels of stylishness

least faves:
Disable - I hate this crap so much. It's yet another mostly useless down b in the same club as jet hammer. Fully expected this to get replaced or heavily revamped in smash 4
Side B - it's not completely terrible but it feels like this move could have been so much more..

godogod

Smash Ace
I'd rather have a normal counter than Disable. Its better in every single way.

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
Shadow Ball is one of the most satisfying moves in the game, period. Easily the most badass projectile as well.

That would be my #1, but besides that, landing a Disable always makes me grin, and then all of his aerials feel good to hit with as well, particularly fair and bair. Also, shoutout to his forward throw for having the really cool 'torrent of shadow balls' effect. Up throw's the most satisfying to KO with though.

All of Mewtwo's special moves feel cool to execute imo.

My favorite Smash of his is the UpSmash, even if I can't hit with it the most often.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather have a normal counter than Disable. Its better in every single way.
Nope. You are comparing apples to oranges. It would be awesome if Mewtwo did have a counter (or some kind of similar defensive measure) but disable is designed to be purely offensive measure, and it is awesome.

Without disable, the only time you can get a fully charged smash attack to connect is when your opponent is a total noob. With disable, you are one of the only characters (before bayo, there was none other) who can justify charging smash to full, and lets not forget about how it opens up taking stocks at 70%.

Its hard to land, but Ive been practising my SH>AD>FF>Disable timing which is a great mixup. They like to drop shield and dash forward when they see that I have "mistakenly fallen a bit short". Then they realise just how much range disable has, fall asleep, and subsequently die, mashing their control pads while screaming "WAKE UP" at their unresponsive avatar. UpTaunt.

---

Besides... It seems like everybody has a counter... its so mundane. I would rather have rare and unusual tools that are difficult to use but extremely effective when you use them right (I suspect this is the mentality of most Mewtwo mainers)... If I feel I REALLY need a counter, then I switch to Lucina.

Too bad DLC custom moves never emerged. I was really looking forward to collecting all those, and a counter would have been a good one to include... even if it were just a super-armoured move instead of an invincible/intangible one.

Last edited:

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I think we have enough counters in this game. I'd rather Mewtwo have something unique and it would make zero sense for him to have one anyway.

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I think we have enough counters in this game. I'd rather Mewtwo have something unique and it would make zero sense for him to have one anyway.
There are plenty of Pokemon moves that could be repurposed into a sort of counter but with a twist... But more than anything, Mewtwo should have the custom move "Recover". Huge startup and endlag, repairs damage if uninterrupted. Oldschool Mewtwo styles.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Yeah, its definitely not anywhere near true (if it were, Mewtwo would be the Supreme Daddy of all characters), but one useful component of Jab1 is that it forces the opponent to look Mewtwo in the eyes... I note that once someone has been disabled by me a few times, they tend to start approaching me with Bairs and catching them with a jab > disable when they land surprises them mightily. Also fun if you ever get into rolling-wars... rollback > jab > disable requires good timing (and a bit of luck), but is pretty satisfying.
Jab forces the opponent to face you? I guess I never paid attention to that; sounds very useful for getting a disable!

Top Bottom