• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite and least favorite moves to use as Mewtwo?

D

Deleted member

Yo. Dedede boards did something like this a while ago, and it'd be interesting to see how you all feel about it. I guess to start off I'll list some of my favorites:

Neutral air. I just love the feel of this move in general. It's long lasting, can lead into grabs or tilts, just such a good move overall. Doing rising nairs gives me immense satisfaction.

Up smash. Even if it's slow, it's so rewarding to hit with. It's great on stages like Battlefield and for catching a read airdodge.

Forward air. Combos into itself at low percents, is a quick kill move, comes out on frame 6... what more could you possibly want?

I don't really particularly dislike any of Mewtwo's moves, but I guess it's me just disliking his grab range and up tilt being a pretty odd move for me to use most of the time.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Favorite: Down tilt and forward air. Sometimes neutral air.

Least Favorite: Forward smash. I think it's his worst move, honestly. Doesn't have much usage - it's nearly outclassed by down smash.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Favorite:
Fair
Uair
SB
Dtilt/Utilt

Least:
Fsmash
Jab, a bit. Dtilt outclasses it. I only use it to prolong strings.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Favorite:
Fair
Uair
SB
Dtilt/Utilt

Least:
Fsmash
Jab, a bit. Dtilt outclasses it. I only use it to prolong strings.
Down tilt doesn't outclass jab at all - while down tilt is a better move because it has more consistent true combos, jab allows for more much more kill setup potential and more grounded attacks.

D

Deleted member

Down tilt doesn't outclass jab at all - while down tilt is a better move because it has more consistent true combos, jab allows for more much more kill setup potential and more grounded attacks.
I agree. I think jab is a good move, plus the infinite/finisher does a decent amount of damage. Is jab1 -> dtilt -> fair a true combo at all? Because I really like doing it.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I agree. I think jab is a good move, plus the infinite/finisher does a decent amount of damage. Is jab1 -> dtilt -> fair a true combo at all? Because I really like doing it.
Nothing out of jab is actually true - characters with frame 3 aerials can break out of jab combos, and any other frame 3 thing like Dolphin Slash and Mario's Super Jump Punch.

Of course, we can always jab to shield and punish them right afterwards. I don't think anyone's ever spoken of that - maybe I'm just a first.

so welcome to the meta, jab to shield.

Some characters like Fox and Falcon can shield it at lower percents - too. But if they don't fall into those two categories, it's probably a true combo. Most of the time jab combos are true combos - that really depends on how your opponent reacts to it. Some people don't do anything.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Favourite:

Disable, because you feel like you accomplish something when you land it and at high percent. You can a good old charged Smash for end the opponent stock. So satisfying.:4wario:

Fair, because it's Mewtwo Fair, so there is nothing to explain about it.:4mewtwo:

Up Smash, because it's one of the coolest Up Smash in the game and it's powerful.

Dair, Smash Meteor are always satisfying to land. But this one get a A+.

Least Favourite:

I don't have any move that i really dislike for being honest.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Personally, I really don't think up smash is as good as people say. I do think it is a very good up smash, but is it that great of a move, well, not really.

It's very unsafe on block and it usually requires a setup like Jab - up smash (which is very easy to get out of by the way, easily breakable by almost any character) and Jab - up tilt - up smash (which is a LOT more reliable than jab to up smash but it doesn't work on quite a few characters, and like other jab combos, it's not exactly a true combo. Remember what I said about jab not having any true combos.)

Not only that, but I think people are exaggerating up smash's kill power - it's pretty good, better than a lot of up smashes in the game, yes. But if you have good DI and you're not a super light character you'll be living well around 110%.

Forward air and up throw are much safer, and even though up smash kills a lot earlier than them, they're much more reliable and 10x easier to hit with.

I actually like down smash a bit more than up smash purely because it actually kills earlier than up smash in some cases, and it has quite low end lag so you can throw it out and you won't be getting punished/ will only be getting lightly punished (depending on the character, of course.)

Last edited:

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Up-throw is a great kill move at high percents and Uair and Fair are great moves for combos too.

Sonicninja115

Usmash is frame 9, and it kills at 100%. That is what makes it good. Other then that it's range is great, but it's FAF is terrible.

Jab starts true comboing at about 110%

Jab active frame: 6
Dtilt: 6-7
Jab FAF: 25
Dtilt FAF: 21
jab is sorta outclassed. I use it as a combo extender, but other then that, I rarely use it as a combo starter or my first choice. Jab has it's use, while Dtilt has it's uses.

Hey Metalex Metalex does Dtilt-Dair spike ever count on the training room counter? or is it a two frame thing?

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I concur that jab is largely outclassed by DTilt. It gets less and less useful as you reach higher level as people DI it properly and act with the proper responses (e.g. DI up and away and double jump out at the percents where jab -> grab is relevant or throw out a fast aerial if the character has one).

With that said though it's hard to come up with favourite moves for Mewtwo as a lot of his moveset is super solid. To go-tos would be DTilt and FAir as well as UAir and BAir but honestly his moveset as a whole is solid. I do have one move I do quite strongly dislike and that's FTilt if simply because its utility is limited and its reward is pitiful for its speed. Easily his worst move. At least Disable - while slow, high commitment and borderline worthless vs airborne foes - nets you a hard punish vs grounded foes.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Hey Metalex Metalex does Dtilt-Dair spike ever count on the training room counter? or is it a two frame thing?
The percentage range where Dtilt > Dair spike true combos is kind of strict and is roughly in a 10% window from 40 - 50%. You can see in the video example here that it registers on the combo counter (video is from the Jablock thread).

I haven't tested the exact percentage range for this though, but it's still a very good string just outside the percentage range where it combos since it can be just a frame or two off from comboing.

Sorry for the offtopic post, will make a post later on the subject of favorite moves =)

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I concur that jab is largely outclassed by DTilt. It gets less and less useful as you reach higher level as people DI it properly and act with the proper responses (e.g. DI up and away and double jump out at the percents where jab -> grab is relevant or throw out a fast aerial if the character has one).

With that said though it's hard to come up with favourite moves for Mewtwo as a lot of his moveset is super solid. To go-tos would be DTilt and FAir as well as UAir and BAir but honestly his moveset as a whole is solid. I do have one move I do quite strongly dislike and that's FTilt if simply because its utility is limited and its reward is pitiful for its speed. Easily his worst move. At least Disable - while slow, high commitment and borderline worthless vs airborne foes - nets you a hard punish vs grounded foes.
The reason I never count Disable out is because of it's usefulness. It has downsides, but compared to the reward, I am okay with them. It isn't punishable by a smash anyway. Shouldn't be at least. A perfect shield should be -10 for Disable.

Also, Ftilt has little purpose, I agree.

Metalex Metalex Thanks!

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
Favorite:Shadow ball, dtilt, nair, bair, fair, dair and confusion

Least favorite:ftilt

godogod

Smash Ace
Favorite:
Confusion. So many uses.. Reflection, recovery, sometimes a free fsmash.
Shadowball- really satisfying to get a ko from this at point blank or in mid air
forward air - satisfying to land. I land the sound and comboing into itself
up smash - the most satisfying smash for mewtwo to land for sure for me

least favorite
up tilt - wonkey hitbox.Needs a down tilt set up, otherwise very unreliable.
disable - very hard to land in a competitive match. When it does, very satisfying. But still, not easy to pull off for me. Needs a slight range buff
down air - Haven't really the timing right to meteor someone. Feels like the most awkward down air ever. Maybe cause it has a bit of start up lag, and momentum slowing him down, and the animation throwing me off. Feels good to do it on landed opponents successfuly
f tilt - too slow. It's good for mix ups/not being predictable and spacing, but it could be faster.

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Favoured:
DTilt - Because there had to be at least one tilt that is quick and viable. Leads into aerial game.
Shadowball - Keep those swords away from me. Charge to the max for instant opponent paranoia.
Disable - Gives me a reason to charge smash attacks all the way to the bank. Why does it work when you hit them in the shoes? I don't care. Rising-disable to fully charged DSmash = Taste.
Teleport - takes good timing, but gives awesome mobility when you can reliably land it in whichever direction you choose. Also, this one time I ledge cancelled a teleport into NAir and dragged them down for a kill... It was an accident I haven't been able to replicate since, but my jeans were creamed.

Un-favoured:
FTilt - knockback is ok... sometimes use it against smaller characters to block approach, but... meh.
DThrow - Useless. If I do this to you, it means I don't respect you very much.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I do love all his aerials too, but they are bit more "bread and butter".

Beyond that, Mewtwo oozes class. I am particularly enamoured by the fact that he doesn't clap if he loses, and his mocking laugh up-taunt cements his nature as a heartless b*stard. It usually accompanies me yelling "YOU ARE A FOOL TO OPPOSE ME!" (or similar) at the screen in an Aku voice.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Down throw isn't useless - where are you getting that from? It has platform setups and because of the angle it's a very good read throw.
OK, that is fair. In 1 on 1 FG though, DThrow is the quintessence of bumhole.

Kamtheman56

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kamtheman56
3DS FC
3222-6187-6285
I figured I'd share my favorite moves and give some reasons as to why I like them as well. Shadow Ball is one of my favorites not because of it's versatility, but because of the animation Mewtwo has when throwing one he just flicks his hand and the Shadow Ball gets released with that menacing sound to top it off. Bair is also one of my favorite moves due to how "freeflowing" it is and the nice thwacking sound that is followed by whacking someone with Bair very satisfying.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Favorite:
That sweet spot F-Smash I get when the opponent is chasing me and they get hit at the edges. Sometimes I don't even think it should hit but it feels sooo good regardless. I've killed some fighters at, like, 60-80% with a well-timed F-Smash. Of course, this wasn't from center stage, but it was still super satisfying.

Shadow Ball - I'm sure if I played any of the M2 players here I would get destroyed because I use Shadow Ball a lot. Tiny Shadow Balls, Full-charge Shadow Balls, sometimes I chuck one out for yucks. It's a great tool that helps me keep opponents back a bit while I think of a fighting plan.

Least:
U-tilt - I wish I could weaponize this better...but it always feels so awkward whenever I use it. I feel like I get too little reward out of it when I do use it. I know there are some great times for it but its just an awkward move for me to use.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
His Fair, Uair, Forward throw, downtilt.....hell I love them all.

I don't like down throw....at all.

Disable is such a pain to do anything with.

Outside of those two I genuinely love Mewtwo's moveset.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
If you you can pick a stage with platforms maybe.
Even outside of platforms it has its use as its very easy to get a read off the opponents by mixing up your options. The fact that most of the stages (or all of them? idk i forgot the legal stage list. except for fd) have platforms so... yeah.

Down throw is not a bad move. I can't see it being worse than forward tilt or forward smash at all.

OK, that is fair. In 1 on 1 FG though, DThrow is the quintessence of bumhole.
Don't know where you're getting that from, either. I mean, lag, sure. But that doesn't really matter for down throw for some reason.

Also, the fact that a large portion of For Glory players air dodge when they see themselves setup that could be leading into a combo. So it basically can mean free anything (Disable, falling fair, forward smash, get creative!) on For Glory.

Thing is, I don't really have many friends so I play For Glory quite a bit - there happens to be this one good player that can match up to my skill whenever I go for a session.

Yet, I do wish I had more friends to play offline with.

Anyways, I want to talk about my total least favorite move - forward tilt.

The only time I ever use this is when I misinput. Which basically means I don't use it. It's an absolutely terrible move and I think it's Mewtwo's only move that can be classed as that.

It doesn't setup for combos like his other tilts, is slow as hell, and grants so little reward for its speed. Its range is basically the same as down tilt's range, so why the heck would you use forward tilt instead? I don't know if this can be used for PP or not, but I don't see high level Mewtwo players using this move at all.

Forward smash is only better because it can be somewhat rewarding within a read, but it's pretty much outclassed by down smash.

Disable. Huh. I use to think that this wasn't a bad move back in late November, but I've changed my mind. It's bad, but I don't think it is nearly as bad as forward smash or the undoubtedly nearly useless forward tilt.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Even outside of platforms it has its use as its very easy to get a read off the opponents by mixing up your options. The fact that most of the stages (or all of them? idk i forgot the legal stage list. except for fd) have platforms so... yeah.

Down throw is not a bad move. I can't see it being worse than forward tilt or forward smash at all.

Don't know where you're getting that from, either. I mean, lag, sure. But that doesn't really matter for down throw for some reason.

Also, the fact that a large portion of For Glory players air dodge when they see themselves setup that could be leading into a combo. So it basically can mean free anything (Disable, falling fair, forward smash, get creative!) on For Glory.

Thing is, I don't really have many friends so I play For Glory quite a bit - there happens to be this one good player that can match up to my skill whenever I go for a session.

Yet, I do wish I had more friends to play offline with.

Anyways, I want to talk about my total least favorite move - forward tilt.

The only time I ever use this is when I misinput. Which basically means I don't use it. It's an absolutely terrible move and I think it's Mewtwo's only move that can be classed as that.

It doesn't setup for combos like his other tilts, is slow as hell, and grants so little reward for its speed. Its range is basically the same as down tilt's range, so why the heck would you use forward tilt instead? I don't know if this can be used for PP or not, but I don't see high level Mewtwo players using this move at all.

Forward smash is only better because it can be somewhat rewarding within a read, but it's pretty much outclassed by down smash.

Disable. Huh. I use to think that this wasn't a bad move back in late November, but I've changed my mind. It's bad, but I don't think it is nearly as bad as forward smash or the undoubtedly nearly useless forward tilt.
Ftilt can be angled, and when done downwards hits low enough to hit hanging opponents, plus the obvious but admittedly minor use in anti-air angled up. It can also kill, though pretty late.

Somehow the speed doesn't bug me that much, it would still be outclassed if not more so even if it was as fast as his other tilts, but as it is it can occasionally throw off an opponent conditioned to shield (then drop) your dtilts.

It's not a bad move, just... doesn't really have anything special about it unlike most of his other moves.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
My main annoyance with Dthrow is that it just doesn't go anywhere. I can be in the flow at low %, controlling my space, dash in to grab, go for FThrow, misinput DThrow, and suddenly I am being combo'd and have to work to get back to neutral. I don't think I can recall a single time in 1on1 FG where Dthrow has failed to put me in a disadvantaged position. For me, at least FTilt has occasionally been a good spacing tool.

As has been pointed out though, Dthrow can be useful for platform set-ups, and I accept that maybe its just the case that Dthrow is designed to be useless except in those circumstances. Even a little less endlag would make a huge difference to making this move useful for me, but that would make it a potential combo starter which we know is against Mewtwo's glass-cannon-hard-read-punish ethos.

What makes it so bad? Personally I think that Disable is one of the finest tools in the arsenal. A little slow to come out, sure, but its a way to turn a minor punish window into a massive one. Without disable, I would almost never have a reason to fully charge a smash attack, and would very rarely take stocks at less than 100%. And the flavour... so much flavour... at high opponent% I have even managed to enjoy an uptaunt before a quick smash-to-kill. You cant beat that..

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Ftilt can be angled, and when done downwards hits low enough to hit hanging opponents, plus the obvious but admittedly minor use in anti-air angled up. It can also kill, though pretty late.

Somehow the speed doesn't bug me that much, it would still be outclassed if not more so even if it was as fast as his other tilts, but as it is it can occasionally throw off an opponent conditioned to shield (then drop) your dtilts.

It's not a bad move, just... doesn't really have anything special about it unlike most of his other moves.
Maybe not. But, it just doesn't really give you much reward. Also, the fact that it kills doesn't matter, you'll never think of forward tilt as a kill option.

It's probably not as bad as I said it is, as you mentioned, just... kind of outclassed.
My main annoyance with Dthrow is that it just doesn't go anywhere. I can be in the flow at low %, controlling my space, dash in to grab, go for FThrow, misinput DThrow, and suddenly I am being combo'd and have to work to get back to neutral. I don't think I can recall a single time in 1on1 FG where Dthrow has failed to put me in a disadvantaged position. For me, at least FTilt has occasionally been a good spacing tool.

As has been pointed out though, Dthrow can be useful for platform set-ups, and I accept that maybe its just the case that Dthrow is designed to be useless except in those circumstances. Even a little less endlag would make a huge difference to making this move useful for me, but that would make it a potential combo starter which we know is against Mewtwo's glass-cannon-hard-read-punish ethos.

What makes it so bad? Personally I think that Disable is one of the finest tools in the arsenal. A little slow to come out, sure, but its a way to turn a minor punish window into a massive one. Without disable, I would almost never have a reason to fully charge a smash attack, and would very rarely take stocks at less than 100%. And the flavour... so much flavour... at high opponent% I have even managed to enjoy an uptaunt before a quick smash-to-kill. You cant beat that..
It's quite hard to get a Disable in a serious match. It's pretty slow and has some end lag that can be easily punished, but if your opponent knows this they're pretty much fine.

Like I said before, I don't think it's as bad as forward tilt or forward smash, I think it rather goes into the "mediocre" section of Mewtwo's moveset but that's just me.

If you're being combo'd after using down throw, maybe try shielding right after you do so. There are a ton of ways to read options after his down throw and shielding is one of his best bets

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
It's quite hard to get a Disable in a serious match. It's pretty slow and has some end lag that can be easily punished, but if your opponent knows this they're pretty much fine.

Like I said before, I don't think it's as bad as forward tilt or forward smash, I think it rather goes into the "mediocre" section of Mewtwo's moveset but that's just me.

If you're being combo'd after using down throw, maybe try shielding right after you do so. There are a ton of ways to read options after his down throw and shielding is one of his best bets
Regarding Disable, I have had reasonable results with it following a jab, an excellently timed foxtrot, or a relatively well timed SHFF. The best results I find are dashing in just after a shielded shadowball. It has much more range than you might think... but your point about the slow release is valid. I tend to only use it if I am very confident it will hit, and that confidence has grown sharply since I seriously started incorporating it and figuring out its range.

for shielding after DThrow, sure, I could do that but I would still feel like I am on the back foot. Maybe that's just my playstyle talking. I guess I should just use it more to test possible followups and see what falls out.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
"Mewtwo used Disable..."
"Mewtwo's confidence sharply rose."
"Opponent used Struggle..."
"Its not very effective."

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Regarding Disable, I have had reasonable results with it following a jab, an excellently timed foxtrot, or a relatively well timed SHFF. The best results I find are dashing in just after a shielded shadowball. It has much more range than you might think... but your point about the slow release is valid. I tend to only use it if I am very confident it will hit, and that confidence has grown sharply since I seriously started incorporating it and figuring out its range.

for shielding after DThrow, sure, I could do that but I would still feel like I am on the back foot. Maybe that's just my playstyle talking. I guess I should just use it more to test possible followups and see what falls out.
Even with a jab, Jab > Disable isn't true at all - it's very easily breakable by most characters in the game, but it's a nice mixup, I guess.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Even with a jab, Jab > Disable isn't true at all - it's very easily breakable by most characters in the game, but it's a nice mixup, I guess.
Yeah, its definitely not anywhere near true (if it were, Mewtwo would be the Supreme Daddy of all characters), but one useful component of Jab1 is that it forces the opponent to look Mewtwo in the eyes... I note that once someone has been disabled by me a few times, they tend to start approaching me with Bairs and catching them with a jab > disable when they land surprises them mightily. Also fun if you ever get into rolling-wars... rollback > jab > disable requires good timing (and a bit of luck), but is pretty satisfying.

Last edited:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
My favorite moves for Mewtwo would have to be Fair, Nair, Dtilt/Utilt and Side B. Those moves are the one's I tend to do the most, But Mewtwo's moveset overall I really like.

D

Deleted member

Down throw isn't useless - where are you getting that from? It has platform setups and because of the angle it's a very good read throw.
Plus, it does decent damage and keeps his other throws from going stale. Gotta keep uthrow and bthrow fresh when you're going in for the kill.

WickedMewtwo

Smash Rookie
The percentage range where Dtilt > Dair spike true combos is kind of strict and is roughly in a 10% window from 40 - 50%. You can see in the video example here that it registers on the combo counter (video is from the Jablock thread).

I haven't tested the exact percentage range for this though, but it's still a very good string just outside the percentage range where it combos since it can be just a frame or two off from comboing.

Sorry for the offtopic post, will make a post later on the subject of favorite moves =)
daum!!! thats awesome! Need to try it!

godogod

Smash Ace
This could be a good to survey what moves need to be buffed.

So far we've got..
Most favorite moves on this thread: Down tilt, forward air, shadowball, neutral air

Least favorite moves on this thread: Down throw, forward tilt, up tilt

mixed: Disable.

Last edited:

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Favourites:

D-tilt - that's basically my bread + butter
Disable - situational but landing it feels INCREDIBLE
D-Smash - dat launch power

Least Favourites:

F-tilt - maybe? Don't really have a least favourite tbh, just trying to think of what I use least.
U-tilt - as well, probably...

Top Bottom