• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite and Least Favorite Match Ups

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
This is more of a fun topic, not necessarily related to competitive strategy or how Olimar matches up with characters. This is more about where you have the most fun. As an Olimar player, which match-up do you enjoy the most? Which do you dislike?

I think my favorite is Captain Falcon. Falcon is just an honest character. No weird projectiles, no reflectors, no gimmicks. He's pretty much the opposite of Olimar. You know what Falcon wants to do, and it makes for a fun cat-and-mouse dynamic to the whole match.

Falcon is similar to Olimar, though, in that both of them really suffer in disadvantage state. Falcon's recovery is pretty terrible, but his offense is amazing. This makes every encounter very rewarding and potentially punishing for either player, and the combos Olimar can do to Falcon are fun to perform. Unlike a long camp battle with a MegaMan or other projectile character where you have to pay a lot of attention for very little reward per successful move, a Falcon match has a lot of momentum that can swing both ways.

My least favorite is Sonic. I know this isn't original to Olimar match ups, but I just feel Sonic is broken from a design standpoint. Not that he's overpowered, but he's not fun to play against at all. His hit and run style makes for very tedious matches with Olimar as well, who doesn't have great speed (aerial or ground) to chase down any big punishes. Olimar has to take what he can get, and the matches go very long with the same exact spindash micro-encounters happening for six minutes.

Yours?

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
God **** Sonic. He's little mac all over again, except even more ******* annoying. He's the *Bleep* *Bleep* *Bleep* of *Bleeeeeeeeeeep*

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I also really like the Falcon MU. It's definitely a difficult mu but its really fun to play regardless.

I also like vs BJr cuz fsmash x100 wins lel

My least favourite is Kirby. It's infuriating going from a winning position to an extremely disadvantageous one basically for free on the part of kirby. Once he gets the copy ability you have to substantially outplay him to regain footing.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
I also really like the Falcon MU. It's definitely a difficult mu but its really fun to play regardless.

I also like vs BJr cuz fsmash x100 wins lel

My least favourite is Kirby. It's infuriating going from a winning position to an extremely disadvantageous one basically for free on the part of kirby. Once he gets the copy ability you have to substantially outplay him to regain footing.
I camp Kirby worse than any other character. I don't want to get remotely close to him on the chance he gets the Inhale. I run basically the whole match.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Favorite is Ness; is so damn funny to see his recovery screwed up by a Pikmin or his defenseless state when Up B'ing.

Least Favorite is Olimar; damn I hate this match so much. Because I have to pay attention to MY pikmin and HIS pikmin. The constantly annoying sound of the match with the repeatedly run and hit.
It gets worst when the other player is MORE coward than me (yes I am at the beginning of the match, then I'm more confident) and have to chase him all the match.
It's like fighting against those pikachu player which stand on a platform (like smashville) and start to spamm the electricity attack without result. God I hate that #$%%&%.

So yes, I hate fighting against "me" xD.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Favorite is Ness; is so damn funny to see his recovery screwed up by a Pikmin or his defenseless state when Up B'ing.

Least Favorite is Olimar; damn I hate this match so much. Because I have to pay attention to MY pikmin and HIS pikmin. The constantly annoying sound of the match with the repeatedly run and hit.
It gets worst when the other player is MORE coward than me (yes I am at the beginning of the match, then I'm more confident) and have to chase him all the match.
It's like fighting against those pikachu player which stand on a platform (like smashville) and start to spamm the electricity attack without result. God I hate that #$%%&%.

So yes, I hate fighting against "me" xD.
The ditto can definitely get confusing. Losing a stock because you thought you had the right pikmin lined up is really frustrating, even more when it's your opponent's pikmin you were looking at!

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
The ditto can definitely get confusing. Losing a stock because you thought you had the right pikmin lined up is really frustrating, even more when it's your opponent's pikmin you were looking at!
Yesh! (The Capitan Falcon's Yes sound xD)
Totally mess my mood when I get confused and throw a Purple Fsmash against a Red Fsmash.
Or start plucking pikmin because I believed don't have any and they are near to the other Olimar.
It gets even worse when there are 4 purples at games and you don't know which one is yours xD.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
OK I love doing down throw....wait for air dodge, then spike heavy characters like falcon and dk it's soo satisfying!
I love megaman, pacman, Rob, because I enjoy grabbing their items and running away the whole game, you can rack up damage from pikmin throw it's hilarious
Also killing ness with a throw is satisfying I'm always like "how you like my kill throw B****!"

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
my least MU is Yoshi.... i dont know how can i do vs him is so hard to play.
My easy MU is something like Captain Falcon...

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Yep Just played the most annoying pacman on the planet he ran away throwing fruit and camping behind his trampoline i couldn't even touch him or grab him ugh how could that be fun to play like that?

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
OK I love doing down throw....wait for air dodge, then spike heavy characters like falcon and dk it's soo satisfying!
I love megaman, pacman, Rob, because I enjoy grabbing their items and running away the whole game, you can rack up damage from pikmin throw it's hilarious
Also killing ness with a throw is satisfying I'm always like "how you like my kill throw B****!"
Killing Ness with blue up throw is one of the most satisfying things about Olimar!

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I have to say my favorite MU is the ditto. I like how you can play with the delayed fsmash thanks to pikmins attached to you. Also in the ditto it often looks like there's always happening something somewhere on the screen. Of course I don't mean the salty ditto picks you may have in for glory(I've gotten a few of them every week xD), but I really mean the true ditto between two Olimars. Especially as you can't just play as usually in other MUs in my opinion.

I also like the Rosalina MU in general. It's probably a favorable MU for Olimar and I enjoy playing against Rosalina.

An MU I've learned to like is Luigi. It's still not an easy one but probably 50:50. If you screw up keeping him away from you, you can easily get comboed and get 60% damage or more from Luigi. So it's all about playing the neutral right. One mistake can have huge consequences. Also I feel I need to be really patient and wait for openings if I want to go in sometimes.

A hard MU in my opinion is Sheik. If Sheik doesn't camp with needles, you can get quite a few openings for grabs and follow-ups. If she camps with needles, it comes down to shielding the needles and being very patient. I somehow like when a MU goes in the direction of seeing who's the most patient player of both. It's not necessarily about the rushdown. And as Sheik, if she approaches, most of the time goes for the fair, pivot grabs work fine.
I feel ike it's more annoying playing against a Falcon, who approaches and always rolls back to bait an action, because in these situations you can't get that easy pivot grabs as you can in many MUs.

Last edited:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Favorite Match up: Mega Man. I don't know why, but when I play against really good Mega Men, I'm finding myself playing to my full potential and the outcome is really fun, plus its great to stop him from doing any sort of F-Smash because theres a pikmin on him, lol

Least favorite: Rosalina, When I play against her, God is dead. No but seriously, it Is not fun to play against her in the slightest, its such a chore to fight her with that damn luma around, plus her up-air is so infuriating at times. No offense to Rosalina mains and their personal lives, but you disgust me.

Honorable Mention: Sonic, CUMON STEP IT UP!!

(Sanic is funny, Sonic makes me want to puke)

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Olimar gives Rosa the boot though. It's fun outcamping queen camp herself.

Yogurt

Smash Cadet
I would say my favourite matchup is prolly king dedede because it's fun to reflect his side b with the pikmin
my least favourite is prolly toon link or ROB for sure cus the battle just becomes really spammy

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Ayy Yogurt.

Yeah dedede is fun, looking at my old post to see if my opinion has changed but nah i think falcon is still my favourite.

Yogurt

Smash Cadet
Ayy Yogurt.

Yeah dedede is fun, looking at my old post to see if my opinion has changed but nah i think falcon is still my favourite.
oh omg hey you didn't even notice your username haha, and omg how do you enjoy falcon, hahaha idk Im really bad at that matchup

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I don't think I have any least favorite as far as I experienced aside from maybe Mario for being annoying or Luigi for knocking me out of the bracket in half of the tournaments I went to.

Don't have any favorite either, though.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
oh omg hey you didn't even notice your username haha, and omg how do you enjoy falcon, hahaha idk Im really bad at that matchup
Mu is rough. Oli loses it by a pretty substantial margin, but hes fun to juggle and if you're controlling space properly you get to play however you want.

ITTOOK

Smash Rookie
I'm surprised no one said anything about Samus (for glory) I mean come on she spends the entire match of running away and shooting missiles at you it gets tedious after like 3 minutes I mean don't get me wrong now i beat them in the end but still it's just like why even play as her if you can't play right.

Slashster

Smash Rookie
My best match up by far is megamam.
I just love it. I love how yellows eat the charge shot. I love how reds bathe in his fair.
I love how my pikmin block his pellets. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING I hate about megaman playing as samus is stopped by olimar and I can't get enough of it. Oh how I love to watch them charge shot without seeing that pikmin on them. What? Was you gonna get a stock? Sorry!

But as much as I love fighting megaman, I hate fighting fox. He just darts up to my face and destroys me, if I throw pikmin he shows no mercy and shoots them, sending them to the great above. I hate fighting fox with a burning passion. I just can't deal with them and it makes me sad. Very sad. Near tears even. But, I think that's just me.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I'm surprised no one said anything about Samus (for glory) I mean come on she spends the entire match of running away and shooting missiles at you it gets tedious after like 3 minutes I mean don't get me wrong now i beat them in the end but still it's just like why even play as her if you can't play right.
Yeah it's a boring match, but not a hated one :p.

I hate Sheik MU. Was reading my previous post and I was so wrong. I #$&%$ hate Sheik with all my soul.

RANDOM_Stranger

Smash Cadet
I'm not a good Olimar player. Although, I think he is pretty good against Sonic. Or well, the best counter against Sonics special moves.

Becaus if you succesfully land a Pikmin on Sonic, it works like a break towards Sonics side and down specials. Makes it much easier becaus he must remove the Pikmin to continue his boring spinning attacks.

But as I said, I'm not good using Olimar.

The Abusive Botanist

Smash Rookie
Most favorable: Bowser.
Grab to dthrow to fair to nair to jab to grab to pummel to fair. It's really stupid.
Samus: My pikmin love to clog her Neutral B. They find pain delicious.
Least favorable: Sheik
Not only is she top teir, but she also has all the tools she needs to decimate you.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Can't get away from the Mario brothers to save my life i can't stand them and Mario is soo fast on the ground he catches all my landings with upsmash. I think I have problems with characters that just press buttons because chances are their buttons beat mine because pikmin

Top Bottom