• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fat fingers messing up my tech skill

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
Hi there, I have noticed that when ever I try to waveshine my fat finger hits x a lot and messes up the timing, which causes me to air dodge. I use y for mostly everything, unless I'm pillaring. I don't want to use x, since I've been using y since I was a baby. Any tips on what someone in my situation should do or maybe how to hold the controller to prevent this? And please don't tell me to go on a diet, I love food too much.

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
That's a John.

But seriously, maybe try claw?

The idea is that you move your pointer finger onto :GCY: and use your thumb to attack

It takes getting used to, but it could be a solution to accdentally pressing :GCX:.

Last edited:

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
Reminds me about how my brother cannot play guitar so he has to play bass.

So in this case play a different Smash game ;)

Just kidding.

o0silentshadow0o

Smash Cadet
No one can tell you the "best" way to use your own fingers. It's just something you have to grind and learn how to deal with, find the posture that works best for you, and use that.

Also just a personal preference, don't use the Joy stick to jump out of Shine, it's a bad habit in my opinion, instead try and be quick enough to use Y.

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
Oh that's an easy one. Only press Y on the left edge of the button with the tip of your thumb. Literally just keep yourself away from X.

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
No one can tell you the "best" way to use your own fingers. It's just something you have to grind and learn how to deal with, find the posture that works best for you, and use that.

Also just a personal preference, don't use the Joy stick to jump out of Shine, it's a bad habit in my opinion, instead try and be quick enough to use Y.
The joystick is best when jumping out of shine because it makes sure you don't try to jump during the first 4 frames, but you still make it out on very early frames. Y is best for waving out though. I avoid the claw because there's no need foe the speed of it, it just makes you prone to doing it too quickly and stalling your shine.

Last edited:

o0silentshadow0o

Smash Cadet
The joystick is best when jumping out of shine because it makes sure you don't try to jump during the first 4 frames, but you still make it out on very early frames. Y is best for waving out though. I avoid the claw because there's no need foe the speed of it, it just makes you prone to doing it too quickly and stalling your shine.

Hey, I am sorry but what your saying makes no sense lol. There is no "best" way, it's all opionated, some people work better with different methods. So claiming that one way is the best would be wrong, and even then what you said wouldn't apply any way. You can achieve the same thing with the Y or X button. The only reason I personally don't like using the Joy stick to jump, is because when people actually DI your shine (unless they are bad, then they will DI), you can't follow there DI because you used that time to do a jump with the joy stick. So I use the Y to jump, and the joy stick to follow there DI.

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
Are you talking about Falco because following DI out of shine with Fox is following SDI with a waveshine with which I don't think it is really feasible to waveshine with tap jump. (The SDI is either on an aerial or on the shine itself) In the air with Fox you can follow with tap jump because you can influence your jump with up left or up right on the joystick. Falco is more important in this regard because of the trajectory and knockback of his shine so I assume that iit s about Falco but even then you can use tap jump with Falco, although I don't believe it is as good but there are likely people out there who make it work.

Tap jump is pretty useful for getting very early aerials out of a jump especially on bairs, (specifically right on the c-stick because you can slide from jump to left c-stick pretty easily). This is useful for bairs because without tap jump, claw, thenar you don't have to hold a+back and bair closer to the opposing player and with Fox making an early bair pretty unsafe. You do lose aerial mobility inherently although if you are really quick you can kinda work around it but things like running shine-> nair/uair/drill don't really work with tap. Tap is also the easiest way to shine bair as it frees your right hand up to use c-stick.

Top Bottom