• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Fastest way to farm custom moves?

tatsurou

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2809-8582-1760
I've looked around a bit but haven't seen too much discussion, I'm wondering what the best and fastest way to farm custom moves is. Custom moves are great but obtaining them is awfully tedious.It seems the best way is to do Classic (Simple) and get lucky with both the roulette (landing on red) and that the red item is a custom move (instead of equipment, item etc), and that the custom move is for the character you want (high chance of it being the character played.)

For Smash Run, sometimes I can only find 1-2 chests the whole time and they end up being items or abilities for Smash Run.

For All Star I might get one an entire run.

Is there really no better way than to get really lucky in Classic? I know if you play on higher difficulties you have a chance of getting more on the roulette. Unfortunately I can't beat Master Core on difficulty 8.0+ and up which limits my possibilities. Unrelated but if anyone has a video or strategy for Master Core at high difficulties, let me know!

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Trophy Rush usually gives you at least 1-2 in a 2:30 attempt, or more if you get lucky. I don't know how efficient this is compared to the other modes, but I'm just pointing it out because a lot of people are forgetting about this mode (and I watched someone doing this earlier today).

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
It's possible to get 10 in the 6 minutes it takes to do Smash Run. between Trophy Rush and Smash Run, those are your two best options.

If you use the smash run option, make sure you only pick up the customization bags(the ones with the wrench) as you can only get 10 total items, and trophies/coins/etc take up an item slot.

tatsurou

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2809-8582-1760
Trophy Rush usually gives you at least 1-2 in a 2:30 attempt, or more if you get lucky. I don't know how efficient this is compared to the other modes, but I'm just pointing it out because a lot of people are forgetting about this mode (and I watched someone doing this earlier today).
Thanks. Even in my best Trophy Rush run with Donkey Kong for 2:30 (spam Down+B and roll away from the projectiles), I usually get around 30 trophies and 2-3 items. I thought to do the Rush with the characters I'm trying to get the custom moves for, but I wasn't confident I'd be able to get Fever enough to make it worth it. I'll try it out later though.

It's possible to get 10 in the 6 minutes it takes to do Smash Run. between Trophy Rush and Smash Run, those are your two best options.

If you use the smash run option, make sure you only pick up the customization bags(the ones with the wrench) as you can only get 10 total items, and trophies/coins/etc take up an item slot.
That's a good tip about Smash Run, I didn't realize you could only have a max of 10. Do the silver/gold bags that do Attack+ count as part of the 10? They show up on the bottom screen. Also, do you know if the chests are always in the same spot, or are completely random? It seems to be totally random, with some enemies dropping wrench bags. I just did a run and found only 2 chests and got 2 equip items..

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Thanks. Even in my best Trophy Rush run with Donkey Kong for 2:30 (spam Down+B and roll away from the projectiles), I usually get around 30 trophies and 2-3 items. I thought to do the Rush with the characters I'm trying to get the custom moves for, but I wasn't confident I'd be able to get Fever enough to make it worth it. I'll try it out later though.

That's a good tip about Smash Run, I didn't realize you could only have a max of 10. Do the silver/gold bags that do Attack+ count as part of the 10? They show up on the bottom screen. Also, do you know if the chests are always in the same spot, or are completely random? It seems to be totally random, with some enemies dropping wrench bags. I just did a run and found only 2 chests and got 2 equip items..
I'm just relaying info from streams/other people, I don't have access to the game myself. From what I can tell, "items" in smash run come as Trophies, Custom moves & Equipment, and Coins. Someone who has the game can feel free to correct that if it's wrong. Also from what I can tell, if you pick up more than a 10th item, the earliest item you picked up is removed.

Either way, Trophy Rush will still be the best way overall to get the custom moves, as it's fast, but it requires coins.

I would say, if you have the coins, do trophy rush. If you do not, do smash run and pick up any coin bags you see until you get a customization bag, and then just pick up customizations. If you don't get more than 10, great, you have more coins for Trophy Rush. if you do, great, you have 10 chances for custom moves.

As for chests, I think they're randomly placed, same for events, but again, don't know for sure, if someone with the game can verify that it'd be great.

tatsurou

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2809-8582-1760
I'm just relaying info from streams/other people, I don't have access to the game myself. From what I can tell, "items" in smash run come as Trophies, Custom moves & Equipment, and Coins. Someone who has the game can feel free to correct that if it's wrong. Also from what I can tell, if you pick up more than a 10th item, the earliest item you picked up is removed.

Either way, Trophy Rush will still be the best way overall to get the custom moves, as it's fast, but it requires coins.

I would say, if you have the coins, do trophy rush. If you do not, do smash run and pick up any coin bags you see until you get a customization bag, and then just pick up customizations. If you don't get more than 10, great, you have more coins for Trophy Rush. if you do, great, you have 10 chances for custom moves.

As for chests, I think they're randomly placed, same for events, but again, don't know for sure, if someone with the game can verify that it'd be great.
You know quite a bit, I thought you had the game.

So I did a little test run with your advice and was much more successful this time. The items indeed go up to 10, which I didn't know as I was just grabbing anything. Annoyingly, throughout most of the level there will be an orange text bar over the items with stage updates ("Zelda just double-jumped!!!") which makes it difficult to keep track. I was able to take a picture when it was available.

Take a look at this image:

You can see at the top the kinds of items you can pick up.

? with gold stand - Trophy
Rainbow ? Bag - Ability for use in Smash Run mode (the 6 square icons in the pic above)
Wrench (Custom Parts) Bag - Mii Fighter Equipment/Mii Fighter Hat/Equipment/Custom Move
Bronze Smash Icon (Also Silver and Gold) - Coins

I picked up every wrench I encountered and was able to get this at the end.

3/6 wrench bags were custom moves, not bad. This was a great run as I usually don't find as many chests. I did get an event that said twice as many chests appear, which I've never seen before.

However, I did another run with a different character (Greninja), got 7 wrench bags and none of them were custom moves, mostly regular equipment. It's totally random. I did Trophy Smash with Greninja, ended up with 20 trophies and 2 custom parts, however it was a Mii outfit and new special move for Kirby.

In terms of farming, I'm leaning towards Smash Run. 5-6 minutes (depending on the last stage) you have the chance to get 10 custom moves. For Trophy Smash, you have the possibility to get 2-4 custom moves in 2:30. It seems like there is a strong element of luck regardless of which mode.. If you are trying to get custom moves for each character, it's going to take a looooong time.

Last edited:

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
You know quite a bit, I thought you had the game.

So I did a little test run with your advice and was much more successful this time. The items indeed go up to 10, which I didn't know as I was just grabbing anything. Annoyingly, throughout most of the level there will be an orange text bar over the items with stage updates ("Zelda just double-jumped!!!") which makes it difficult to keep track. I was able to take a picture when it was available.

Take a look at this image:

You can see at the top the kinds of items you can pick up.

? with gold stand - Trophy
Rainbow ? Bag - Ability for use in Smash Run mode (the 6 square icons in the pic above)
Wrench (Custom Parts) Bag - Mii Fighter Equipment/Mii Fighter Hat/Equipment/Custom Move
Bronze Smash Icon (Also Silver and Gold) - Coins

I picked up every wrench I encountered and was able to get this at the end.

3/6 wrench bags were custom moves, not bad. This was a great run as I usually don't find as many chests. I did get an event that said twice as many chests appear, which I've never seen before.

However, I did another run with a different character (Greninja), got 7 wrench bags and none of them were custom moves, mostly regular equipment. It's totally random. I did Trophy Smash with Greninja, ended up with 20 trophies and 2 custom parts, however it was a Mii outfit and new special move for Kirby.

In terms of farming, I'm leaning towards Smash Run. 5-6 minutes (depending on the last stage) you have the chance to get 10 custom moves. For Trophy Smash, you have the possibility to get 2-4 custom moves in 2:30. It seems like there is a strong element of luck regardless of which mode.. If you are trying to get custom moves for each character, it's going to take a looooong time.
Glad I could help some, and yeah, I have a lot of free time so I tend to lurk through topics/streams and just absorb information =)

At least it is confirmed that the game prioritizes moves for the character you are using, so at least it's easier to get customs for your mains.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
also a good thing to note is that if you win in smashrun the stuff you collect is better
sure you can get 6 wrenches but until you place it isnt decided what those wrenches will be
since custom moves are a hot commodity you get more for being on the winning side im sure
1st best loot - 4th worst

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The best possible way to get loot in the game is to play Smash Run against other human players, and win the match.

Custom moves for characters are more common if you play as the character you want to get moves for.
You get more rewards for winning. And you get more rewards for just playing against human opponents.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think the best way to farm custom moves is Single Player, classic. Just time the roulette wheel and win. Trophy Rush is not efficient for trophies nor custom movies IMO.

Top Bottom