• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fastest way to develop calluses

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
My thumb is beginning to hurt after doing shs with fox because of how much I rub the tip against the button so I would like to know how to develop a callus in order to minimize the pain

chafla

Smash Rookie
I know that the quickest way for me to get a callus is to play for a while with my old controller that has a torn up pad on the stick...

However I think there's a chance you're doing something wrong if your thumb is hurting that badly.

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
I know that the quickest way for me to get a callus is to play for a while with my old controller that has a torn up pad on the stick...

However I think there's a chance you're doing something wrong if your thumb is hurting that badly.
I believe it's how much time I dedicate to practice which is anywhere from 3-6+ hours a day

Pauer

The Pauerful
Nothing really improves getting a callus except for a sore thumb. You could avoid hot showers or doing the dishes(without gloves) for a while to minimize the softening of the skin. If you feel like your thumb isn't sore enough one day, you could use some sand paper on it but be careful of avoiding blisters.

When I started out I would have problems with that as well which is why I used my nail instead of the tip of my thumb. Still, after long sessions I would get blisters and screw up my tech occasionally because of it.
After some time though I noticed it wasn't necessary as I had found a way to do it using less force.

I think you should try and focus doing a shorthop using as little force as possible, in a relaxed manner. Lay your thumb on the X or Y button and just let it slide off.
If you don't know hot it should feel like, snip with your right hand. Notice how your thumb makes contact with your middle finger just slightly, then both slide away from each other. Now try to do this motion on your controller, only this time pushing your thumb downwards.

I, and you too most likely, started out with only the goal of being consistent at shorthopping. I learned that if the motion feels right, it will come effortlessly in your play and it'll be much easier to do it in stressful situations as you don't have to concentrate on it because for your thumb it will be as natural as gripping a glass.

This is why I would advise you to start at the bottom of the following list and work your way up:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 frames - Fox / Ice Climbers / Kirby / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik

5 frames - Captain Falcon / Dr. Mario / Luigi / Mario / Marth / Mr. Game & Watch / Ness / Young Link

6 frames - DK / Falco / Jigglypuff / Mewtwo / Peach / Roy / Yoshi

7 frames - Ganondorf / Link / Zelda

-

9 frames - Bowser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start out with bowser and try to get the motion down to a natural, effortless swipe downwards with your thumb. Focus on the feeling of the thumb, the muscles you use. Test just how little force you can use, you will be surprised.

Don't care about consistency, concentrate on your thumb and only when the feeling is right and consistency is there, move up the list.

Last edited:

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
If your thumb hurts, you're developing calluses in the right spots. The more it hurts, the faster your calluses will develop (avoid long term damage please)

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
If your thumb hurts, you're developing calluses in the right spots. The more it hurts, the faster your calluses will develop (avoid long term damage please)
It's just the tip of the thumb from rubbing the bottom edge of :GCX:

Last edited:
You could try flicking your thumbnail against the bottom edge of the X button to SH with Fox instead. It's easier

Top Bottom