• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fast mode????

Team1337

Smash Rookie
I'm new to smashboards but I've been playing since melee. I'm 17 years old and I want to become a real good player but I have a problem. In normal I always beat cpu lvl9 but in fast they beat me. I like playing normal but all my friends prefer fast mode and won't change their opinions. Would playing fast prevent me from becoming any better?

Kirby 89

Smash Rookie
... Just play the way you want to play. playing fast will increase how quickly your fingers move to respond, and therefore will increase muscle memory, however if you are serious about this, tourneys are played normal, you can check all the rules out be searching. to be honest i enjoy playing fast/slow/normal. playing slow lets you view how moves flow in more detail than normal speed training. while, again, playing fast increases reflex speed and reaction time. hope that helps

The_NZA

Smash Lord
If you want to be "good" relative to your friends, and they play fast with you, then you can only get good playing fast. Why? Because the game they are playing isn't "Brawl with tourney rules", its "Brawl in Fast mode". Playing Competitive brawl rules wont make you better at this other game they play. However, if you want to play at tourneys, then I suggest you start practicing brawl with the tourney rules and look for people in your area who are good and who play with tourney rules as well. Fast brawl wont get you better if you want to be "good" in this sense.

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
You're not going to be able to play normal mode well if you only play fast mode. That's like building a pyramid starting with the point on top. Your reactions and muscle memory will be skewed unless you play more normal mode than fast mode, but even then, you will be at somewhat of a disadvantage in your development.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Welcome as well.

As people said, normal mode is preferred. However, this does not mean not to play fast. It depends on what you want, if you keep playing on normal, you will get good at playing at normal speed.

If you want to play fast, and train in fast mode, you will ace people in fast mode. But, when you go to normal speed, you will find yourself spamming attacks and constantly doing stuff, which will not work.

Do one or the other.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
-_- why do pple change their whole game just because 2 of their friends like a certain mode and wont play any other way ( play the way YOU want. want to be good and play the real brawl? play normal brawl with standard rules)

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
Eh. If you want fun, then you should play fast.
If you want to become good and competitive, play normal.
Screw your friends.

MyCurse4Life

Smash Ace
Wait, fast mode as in Special brawl? Then hell no where's the fairness in that? It's fun but I only use that when I get bored. ( I also turn every one small, they look like ants :))

ftl

Smash Journeyman
-_- why do pple change their whole game just because 2 of their friends like a certain mode and wont play any other way ( play the way YOU want. want to be good and play the real brawl? play normal brawl with standard rules)
Playing the way YOU want doesn't help if there's nobody around to play the way YOU want.

I'm fortunate that I'm in an area where there are others around that want to play tournament-rules.

But if the choice was either play with friends pretty often but with weird rules, or stick to tourney rules (and thus play online-only, or only when I feel like driving for an hour to get to more serious players) hell yes I'd stick with the way friends play.

Top Bottom