• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fast Character Unlock Method Discovered by Princess Rescuer

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
My skills as a speedrunner and game critic have finally paid off- I've discovered a pretty much foolproof method for getting challengers to approach you at a much faster rate than usual. First, pick two languages, preferably ones you understand and ones whose spaces in the language select menu are next to or directly on top of each other. After every battle, switch between these two languages and reset the game. Most people might do the widely spoken languages of English and French or English and Japanese. I chose German and Italian. After each switch, a challenger will approach you after a single battle. And it can be the shortest, easiest battle possible. You can set the stock to 1, make the computer Level 1, make the stage an Omega, set the damage to 200%, and in some cases, even lose the battle and still be approached. In multiplayer, you don't even have to try- whichever player isn't going to fight all the challengers can just walk off the stage and end the battle instantly. You'll be able to unlock 10 characters an hour at least.

Of course, there is a caveat. The challengers seem to have run out and it seems they only challenge you once. If you lose, the opportunity is gone and you have to play World of Light or something for hours just to get them. Fortunately, I did get Bowser, King K Rool, and Palutena, but I missed out on Mr. Game and Watch, Dr. Mario, and Diddy Kong. Using this method might leave you unprepared for the battles. Players much more patient than I can keep deleting their data and trying until they at least unlock all the characters they like.

Now that I have revealed this (and in the first week of the game being out), it might be patched out soon, so anyone wishing for a larger available roster better get on it. Here's a patch suggestion though- why not have every character unlocked from the beginning?

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
When a challenger beats you then will later show up in the "Game and More" menu in an option called "Challenger Approaches" It's a magical door that shows up after you have completed a run on classic mode (and maybe other things?) Here you can attempt to beat and unlock all the challengers that defeated you previously. If any of them defeat you again the door could possibly disappear and then you can do another run of classic mode to hopefully make the door return so you can challenge them again. Happy Hunting!

Terradrius

Smash Apprentice
FWIW, this has been known for a little while, at least relatively speaking given that the game's less than a week old. For instance, a quick search on gamefaqs shows a thread talking about this a couple of days ago - https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77276714 . It's good to spread the knowledge, though.
When a challenger beats you then will later show up in the "Game and More" menu in an option called "Challenger Approaches" It's a magical door that shows up after you have completed a run on classic mode (and maybe other things?) Here you can attempt to beat and unlock all the challengers that defeated you previously. If any of them defeat you again the door could possibly disappear and then you can do another run of classic mode to hopefully make the door return so you can challenge them again. Happy Hunting!
Yup, although as noted, it appears inconsistently - it won't appear right after you lose to someone but if you play for a while then come back it will likely be there. Maybe changing the language again could cause it reappear instantly? I don't know.

Last edited:

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Changing languages is a bit faster.

And speaking of faster, I’m already late to the party. Others have already discovered more efficient methods of unlocking all the characters. At least this one’s easy to understand and do.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
So, I've actually found the door that lets you challenge characters who have approached you. Problem is, it doesn't let you choose who to challenge. And it goes away for what seems like no reason. The less patient players who just want to play the game and don't care about all the fun they're missing out on will probably never discover it or forget about it. There ins't even the level-headed excuse of "It's online and Nintendo has to give their servers a break once in a while" like Salmon Run from Splatoon 2! The more characters you unlock, the less frequently it appears. And changing the language doesn't seem to be helping. It takes even longer if you lose! Why this game gotta be so dumb?

And don't tell me I "don't enjoy playing the game". I would love to have all the characters and get even more value out of matching them up and trying them all out! If you don't take issue with having fewer characters and having them be such a hassle to unlock, then perhaps you're the one who doesn't mind having less of a game to experience. Just think of all the kids on Christmas morning who, after unboxing the game and putting it in their Switch, will be asking "Where is everyone?"

Also new update: the door stopped appearing even after I played Classic mode and I didn't have all the characters. So I deleted my data and am starting over so I can do the method all the time. And then I will keep deleting it and trying out methods other people have discovered to see which one is fast and easy. I'm doing all of this boring busywork for the benefit of everyone who isn't getting the game until Christmas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom