• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Family problem...kinda

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
OK. my bro is gettin his butt kicked in ssbm playin as roy. he is so stupid that he wont try an other charac. and he is makin people think that i suck. now what do i teach him if i am only average with roy(i use fox*, falco, and marth). please leave me helpful tips especiall tips on roy vs fox and i would appreciate it! THANKS!:p

Sephiroth M

Smash Apprentice
just did a short test... Up a is a good option followed by running away :/

IF they don't mash a in the air to escape cause then they'll get you when your ending it

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
Uh, well, you chase after someone after they tech :) Also, dtilts are good, especially against fastfallers.

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
Dash dance is one technique, and take advantage of Roy's good WD and grab range.

technomancer

Smash Champion
:enforcer:R there any other combos that roy can do after a d-tilt except for d-tilt> f-smash that r effective against a fox?
----you do not need any other combos than this to do from dtilt after dtilting fox--- unless they DI

-PM-

Smash Ace
dtilt -> SHFFL fair x3 (three times) then fsmash for fast fallers and floaters i suck against so i wouldnt know

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
cool, but my bro ain't home right now. i'm gonna have to practice with him in bout a few hours or so, so i'll get back to u if he needs a lil more help. were about to defeat the team we couldn't(edgeswipe21 and his brother). i mean i could defeat their team with another partner but its just that no one plays smash in florrisant and maryland heights in stl competativly(that i know of), so i have no choice but to force him to get better cause he's seriously makin me look bad.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
Up Throw, Catch then with a Short Hop U-air. Repeat. It works great because the U-air stuns well and sends opponents off like nothing so you can chain grab using this. Fast fallers please....

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Roy has a nice wavedash. catching rabid shuffling Fox's with a backwards wavedash fsmash is always pleasing.

Roy is hard to use. I dunno much to say... WD a lot, dash dance, be tricky...

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
-Uair juggle is nice on most people (besides floaties). If you can sweetspot it and fast fall after the hit, you can go almost constantly with this.

-dthrow->Fsmash if your opponent is not keen on teching. Otherwise dthrow->wait for tech->fsmash

-Sword Dances: Good combos to try on a Fox:
*Start->Upslash->Upslash->downslash
*Start->upslash->forwardslash (dont advance to 4th, tends to be wasted)
*Start->upslash->upslash (end dance) WD backward->dtilt->fair.

Not well tested, but a few ideas. Dont abuse Sword Dance though...the lack of ability to turn around is more punishing than you could imagine.

-Dtilt->UpB (sideways usually) To rack up about 20% damage. It's not too bad, but you have to fast fall it otherwise your air lagtime will punish you.

-At very Low %s, Uthrow->Usmash. That way they dont just fly off the sword tip. Opponents can DI out of this easily, though.

-Dtilt->Flare Blade for edgeguarding. At higher %s, Flare Blade's knockback gets better. Can typically be a killer around the 100%s.

-Fsmash, Ftilt, and Flare Blade are the most effective kill moves Roy has (I would dare to say the ONLY kill moves he has).

That's about all I know. Roy isn't a main of mine, but somewhat of a secondary.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
You end a chaingrab with a SHFLL'd u-air to an f-smash, though I have a feeling this is too advanced for your brother, and probably most Roy players posting in this thread.

-BLaze-

Smash Cadet
I actually read some of the advice n all i have to say is wow..most ppl here don't have any idea wat they're talkin bout. but at least ur tryin..

Roy does not, i repeat DOES NOT have many options on fox for many reasons. but all ill say is keep it as simple as d-tilt to fsmash (or something among that line) unless u have a real good roy. I wont give combos but ill say jus send em off the stage asap n dont let them back in basically

for future reference...stop givin bad advice

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Roy is especially strongest against Fox and Falco, cause his combos can be fully used since they are so heavy.

Easy little combos to use to get their damage up, is to Chain Throw 2 or 3 times into his forward smash. He can use his down tilt to pop them up and forward smash them. If he can wave dash, he can down tilt into a wave dashed grab and start a chain throwing combo.

Also against a Fox, if he does his double edge dance, in the motion of Forward B, Up B, Forward B, its a gurantee'd hit on the last B and with decent knock back.

Also, early percents, he can combo with his Smash up A attack and get it in 2-3 times (Usually only 2 because they know to DI by the third), And its always a nice show stopper.

He also has a variety of finishes for Fox.

First off, Fox is one of the only people able to combo into Roy's Down Air spike perfectly. Just throw him up in the air, and then jump it. Wait until fox is a little bit Above Roy's head and then use Downair, it'll spike him down, though it can be meteor canceled. Only thing you're trying to do is get him low enough pass the stage not to use his illusion to get back to the edge, after that, you counter his Butt Fire (Firefox) And it should send him away, Edge hog, or follow up with a forward smash.

Next, Fox usually uses illusion to get back to the edge right? Now, if you use a down tilt and tipper it, it'll pop fox up just high enough to get a forward smash in, which usually kills all chance of him coming back with proper recovery.

Stuff that you need to know against Fox

1.) If he shines you just 1 TIME when you're off the stage, you're dead. Shine spike is very effective against Roy since he slides like mad from the shine move.

2.) Foxes move very fast and will keep you on your toes with a barrage of attacks, Play defensive until you've got him on the run, and if you're even, try to lure him into attacking and wave dash to forward smash.

3.) At around 90%, Watch out. A up smash from Fox can kill you, as well as him throwing up up and using an Uair, play defensive when your damage starts to get high, UNLESS you're fighting on dreamland.

4.) Don't ever hang on the edge when you're not invulnerable. Keep jumping up and down and grabbing the edge, foxes will shine spike you if they notice you don't know what you're doing.

5.) Last but not least, foxes will **** you if they feel you can't stick with them and will be attacking non stop and wave shining and moving so you can't shield grab. Keep on the move.

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
i did tech chase when u rolled and i chases after u. probably too advanced for rammish:laugh:

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
Roy is especially strongest against Fox and Falco, cause his combos can be fully used since they are so heavy.

Easy little combos to use to get their damage up, is to Chain Throw 2 or 3 times into his forward smash. He can use his down tilt to pop them up and forward smash them. If he can wave dash, he can down tilt into a wave dashed grab and start a chain throwing combo.

Also against a Fox, if he does his double edge dance, in the motion of Forward B, Up B, Forward B, its a gurantee'd hit on the last B and with decent knock back.

Also, early percents, he can combo with his Smash up A attack and get it in 2-3 times (Usually only 2 because they know to DI by the third), And its always a nice show stopper.

He also has a variety of finishes for Fox.

First off, Fox is one of the only people able to combo into Roy's Down Air spike perfectly. Just throw him up in the air, and then jump it. Wait until fox is a little bit Above Roy's head and then use Downair, it'll spike him down, though it can be meteor canceled. Only thing you're trying to do is get him low enough pass the stage not to use his illusion to get back to the edge, after that, you counter his Butt Fire (Firefox) And it should send him away, Edge hog, or follow up with a forward smash.

Next, Fox usually uses illusion to get back to the edge right? Now, if you use a down tilt and tipper it, it'll pop fox up just high enough to get a forward smash in, which usually kills all chance of him coming back with proper recovery.

Stuff that you need to know against Fox

1.) If he shines you just 1 TIME when you're off the stage, you're dead. Shine spike is very effective against Roy since he slides like mad from the shine move.

2.) Foxes move very fast and will keep you on your toes with a barrage of attacks, Play defensive until you've got him on the run, and if you're even, try to lure him into attacking and wave dash to forward smash.

3.) At around 90%, Watch out. A up smash from Fox can kill you, as well as him throwing up up and using an Uair, play defensive when your damage starts to get high, UNLESS you're fighting on dreamland.

4.) Don't ever hang on the edge when you're not invulnerable. Keep jumping up and down and grabbing the edge, foxes will shine spike you if they notice you don't know what you're doing.

5.) Last but not least, foxes will **** you if they feel you can't stick with them and will be attacking non stop and wave shining and moving so you can't shield grab. Keep on the move.
I was about to start reputing your points (like Roy being good against Falco), but then I realized it was you posting and decided not to since it won't stick. (Because you're bad)

Top Bottom