• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's moonwalk

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
I know this is more of a cosmetic thing than a useful tech but i would still like to learn how to do it. every time i attempt to do it i see that i am carrying some momentum from the dash but not all of it. can someone help me moonwalk like a pro? pls halp me :shyguy:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's ridiculously difficult, best I can offer is start from 1/4 speed then work your way up the more comfortable you get. This is actually one of the few techs where the slow mo stuff is actually helpful imo

Just fyi, I can't really do it consistently and I don't really plan on spending any time on it, mainly for the reason you mentioned

Last edited:

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Yo im pretty good at moonwalking so let me help u!
The first important thing is that falco has to walk into his moonwalk or else he wont have enough momentum.
Picture a Gamecube controller analog stick and the 8 notches on it (2 diagonal, 2 horizontal, 2 vertical)
Diagram: (O is the center)

----2--------8
3-------O-------7
----4---------6

Now that we have the visual representation, lets get to the explanation using the diagram
The input will be in brackets at the end of each step.

Moonwalking to the right (falco moves right facing left):
1) walk to the right until your velocity is at maximum, you will be able to notice when he is walking full speed. [Hold 7]
2) tap left to start falco's dash animation. [Tap 3]
3) this is the tricky part and there are a few ways of doing it. Essentially you want to go from 3 to 7 without passing through the middle of the analog stick. How good your moonwalk is depends on how fast you are able to go from 3 to 7. If you pass through O then you will turn around and just dash the other direction rather than just moonwalk.
- For just learning this step go around the bottom of the circle from 3 to 7 touching 4 5 and 6 on your way. You should get a moonwalk that atleast keeps you in place or moves you backwards a bit.
- For the full moonwalk you need to go from 3 to 7 as fast as possible. In order to do this, go from 3 to 7 without passing through O but also not touching 4 5 and 6 fully. the motion is kindof a quick jerk under the center rather than an actual semi circle movement.

so if your just learning , try this sequence:
[Hold 7 > Tap 3 > move analog stick under O and touch 4 5 and 6 > finish through by holding 7 until the moonwalk ends]

for the good one:
[Hold 7 > Tap 3 > Jerk the analog stick under O and get it to 7 while not touching 4 5 or 6 > finish the motion by holding 7]

It takes awhile but you will get it. Once you get better you may be able to string them together. I advice practicing it with falcon if you have trouble with falco's. Ive been doing it for about 6 months now and I can do it 99% of the time in both directions max distance if i am given enough walking room to reach falco's max velocity.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Here's easy and pretty optimized way to moonwalk to right: dash left, however don't make a full input that touches the controlstick frame, since that wastes valuable acceleration time. Then move the stick to the down right diagonal, and roll it to the full right input from there. Reaching the diagonal fast after dash to left registers is the most important part.

With falco you need additional momentum if you want to actually move backwards, usually from either wd, wl or walk.

@ Goodin Goodin The neutral position (in your picture the O) isn't actually relevant for avoiding turn. Turn is triggered if you smash input to opposite direction. So what you do is you move the stick to the x-coordinates just before the threshold of turn, and have the control stick stay there for 2 frames. Then when you on the 3rd frame (or later) pass the turn threshold, you no longer do a smash input, because you were close to the threshold. Conveniently the x-coordinates of the diagonal notches are just below turn threshold, so aiming at diagonal or little below diagonal pretty much guarantees no turn. As a side note it's completely possible to moonwalk going straight from left to right, it's just very difficult.

Last edited:
Top Bottom