• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's grab game lacking?

browndunce

Smash Rookie
NNID
leafcruiser3280
I find Falco's grab game extremely limited. One of the only throw followups I can find is dthrow to shine or dtilt, but discounting the fact that it can be tech'd, most of the times the opponent is thrown just too far from me for me to shine. Also I find fthrow to nair works a few times as well, but that's about it. Sometimes I just bthrow people to get them off the stage to spike or dsmash them, but besides those I rarely grab at all. I feel like a shine is a better option overall than a grab.

Am I missing out on something? How else can Falco's grabs be utilized if at all?

SaucyAUS

Smash Rookie
Up throw then pursuit your opponent while he's drifing through the air. You can even get up throw to dair spike off stage depending on di. Foward throw them off-stage is good the other two I just use for mix ups.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
All of Falco's throws combo, and even if you can't get the combo, fthrow and bthrow get you good positioning, uthrow sets you up to catch their descent, and you're not getting punished for covering tech in place off of dthrow.

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
I've seen back throw ftilt and back throw dash attack, but the main one is up throw shine. It's hard to execute but when you get it the dividends are great, and you do need to grab in neutral or you'll have a hard time with shields.

yttik

well, you shouldn't be using dthrow unless you want to go for a hard mixup into dtilt to kill or something crazy. falco doesn't really need a good grab because he has shine, it has similar outcomes to fox's grab.

Jim_P

Smash Rookie
Falco's grabs aren't that good, but still important in the neutral. You could try to nair-shinegrab. If you hit them, fine, do your combo. If not, grab to let them know shielding can get punished.
What I really like to do, if the situation is right, grab them on a platform and dthrow. Most of the time they will tech behind you = free utilt ;)

mas_torque

Smash Apprentice
Falcos throws are all mixups. Uthrow is pretty ubiquitous tho. fthrow > laser can lead to gimps with dair/dsmash/ftilt. for uthrow followups, just do them a lot and you start to get a feel for how di works. it's highly player dependent too. i find most everyone di's uthrow differently since there's the throw then the lasers

CrackaaJack

Smash Cadet
I find Falco's grab game extremely limited. One of the only throw followups I can find is dthrow to shine or dtilt, but discounting the fact that it can be tech'd, most of the times the opponent is thrown just too far from me for me to shine. Also I find fthrow to nair works a few times as well, but that's about it. Sometimes I just bthrow people to get them off the stage to spike or dsmash them, but besides those I rarely grab at all. I feel like a shine is a better option overall than a grab.

Am I missing out on something? How else can Falco's grabs be utilized if at all?
Usually I find down thrown and back throw most useful at lower percentages.
Why?

If I get a back throw at 0% all characters will either have to tech or just hit the ground without teching, giving me a chance to tech chase (which people tend do always tech away or in place during bthrow) then down air>shine>combo for days.

Its essentially the same with down throw, although I prefer down throw on floaties and Marth more than other fast fallers. My basic down throw follow up vs a floaty @ low percents is downthrow>shine>doublejump+downair+fastfall>up tilt>up tilt>back air. At this point I've already racked up 60-80% plus I got them off stage. Down throw follow up vs fast fallers/teching floaties usually goes something like this: downthrow>tech follow up with downair or shine if they teched in place followed by more d-airs and waveshining.

Travis 'Tails'

Smash Rookie
dashdance asap after down throw, make sure to DD just outside of their getup attack
the rest is all reactions
regrab if they roll in any direction, which you usually have more then enough time to do if your reactions are upto par
if you want the most out of your grabs u should abuse pummel,
idk how much pummel does but if u dont hear them mashing you can get in like a good 10% per grab from pummels only, get good at the tech chase and u got some ez money

GenNyan

Smash Ace
dashdance asap after down throw, make sure to DD just outside of their getup attack
the rest is all reactions
regrab if they roll in any direction, which you usually have more then enough time to do if your reactions are upto par
if you want the most out of your grabs u should abuse pummel,
idk how much pummel does but if u dont hear them mashing you can get in like a good 10% per grab from pummels only, get good at the tech chase and u got some ez money
Thats not a reliable thing against better players. Falco isn't fast enough to cover the opponent's tech roll. And maybe you can dash dance outside of pichu's getup attack range, but you ain't doing that against Marth. Or Captain falcon. Or any character really.

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
I use grabs to show my opponent that I'm willing to do them and that shielding isn't safe. If they shield less, dairs and stuff are more likely to hit and better punishes abound. As for which throw to use, I like throwing people away from the center of the stage or up onto a platform. We can shine through platforms and Falco with center control has so many options.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
As many people have already said. Fthrow works wonders for falco in the neutral. Fthrow to Shine is a good option, and Fthrow to laser as well.

(It may seem that I am a falcon main, but I am actually MIGRATING over to Falco :smash:

_Dubs

Smash Rookie
Falco's grabs are easily SDI'd out of and usually only net you one hit unless you're playing against a fastfaller. Literally all of the other top tiers have guaranteed setups off grabs and have combo trees that stem from grabs. Always take the grab though. Its actually very easy and common for people to punish spacies out of shield, so opt for shine-grab/laser-grab.

Last edited:

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
Grabs are still really good because they guarenteed give Falco center control, which is really helpful for Falco because it allows more room for dash back options.

Edit: Didn't realize I posted exactly this recently. :/

Last edited:

Nox.

Smash Rookie
falco doesn't really need a good grab because he has shine, it has similar outcomes to fox's grab.
People fail to recognize this. Often enough, you'll see people ask "What if falco had fox's upthrow?" but don't realize shine does the same thing, and it's 1 frame. His throws are great for setting up pressure and keeping control of the game's pace. Don't write off anything your character has as "unnecessary" or "worthless." Even sheik's down-b can be useful. Yes it may be lacking, but that just means you need to find a means to make it useful.

Jelson

Smash Cadet
For me my grabs are a bit situational (as all things are out of context). Up throws near the ledge to get them scared, and down throws on platforms to go for the tech chase. Mixing it up once you get them conditioned to this is very deadly as my up throws near ledge turn immediately into throws off stage and similarly for platforms. Try messing around with dash attack cancel grab.

Last edited:
Top Bottom