• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Falco's Fast Fire Bird -> Perfect Landing Slide

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
This thread is too post all about this advances technique, grounded and the aerial version of it.
I'll add all the stuff I know about this tech and most of the aplications I've found so far.
Credits to lavani, Ffamran

Tech Information:
Falco can perform a perfect landing by landing right after the end of falco's somersault which is the animation that comes right after fast fire bird, this can be done by doing an angled input during fast fire bird on the ground, the direction is really strict and its not easy to do.
I suggest to try the angle that's between the ftilt upwards and the standard ftilt, that's the only way I know this move can be used on the ground.
The perfect landing will end in falco landing with no lagg and carrying the momentum from the fast fire bird making falco to get attacks instantly with increased range right after landing.
The aerial version of FFB perfect landing slide can be consistently done by double jumping (first jump must be a small short hop) falco right after the animation of the second jump gets triggered you will hear the second jump SFX that when you input fast firebird to the side, this will end with falco performing a falco somersault and landing perfectly ready to attack or grab.

FFB Perfect Landing Slide (Air Version)
-Perfect Landing Slide into Usmash/Dsmash
-Perfect Landing Slide cancel (moves that cancel momentum)
-Perfect Landing Slide cancel with Jump cancel USmash

-Perfect Landing Slide into grab

FFB Perfect Landing Slide (Ground Version)
-Perfect Landing Slide to smash attacks that carry momentum

[WORK IN PROGRESS]

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
AWESOME

Looks like I need to get customs now.

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
AWESOME

Looks like I need to get customs now.
does it work on fsmash?
yes
does it carry FFB momentum?
only during the attack startup, when the attack starts the momentum gets cancelled.
so yes but you won't get as much range as grab,dtilt,usmash and dsmash

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I called it; Fire Slide is a thing. Now to figure out Fire Roll...

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Guys, this is a game changer :O I assume everybody is familiar with Falco's IAP (Instant Aerial Phantasm), but if not, its basically a Melee/Brawl technique thats done by short hopping and using side b immediately. This technique shortens his phantasm's ending lag, and if correctly spaced allows you to follow up with a FH aerial in Brawl and Smash 4 alike (Default Phantasm). Anyways, this thread got me thinking...
Falco's fast firebird end lag is in fact shortened in the same way as his IAP. Short hop into fast firebird (angled forward) and were definitely looking at a mid to high percent combo tool. I propose we call it IAF (Instant Aerial Firebird). Since this move deals such low knockback, it is ideal for comboing when they have higher percents. Starting at around 40% on most characters, try stringing IAF into:
turn around dash attack
turn around sh fair
turn around reflector
turn around IAP
turn around laser lock!
(Your opponent can tech once the fast firebird connects, but it pops them up ever so slightly making them unlikely to tech unless they're expecting it.)
Im looking forward to seeing other uses for this discovery you guys come up with :)

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Just did this tech... It's AMAZING.

He gains TONS of movement options. Falco just went up to be my secondary cause of this. :b:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I should mention that @Lavani did the grounded Fire Slide and he gave proof that it does indeed exist and I'm not a loon. :p

Also, Fox can do this too with Flying Fox, but the lack of a hitbox might make it less useful along with the fact that Fox's fast from the get-go while Falco benefits from being able to move quickly.

It's sort of funny how Fox and Falco can still pseudo-wavedash and DACUS. Oh, and Bowser with his Dash Slam. I wonder if anyone else can do something similar. Lucario maybe?

_Barrage

Smash Rookie
Also, I'd like to comment that this could be a useful way to cover options while recovering. You can actually get the perfect slide starting from an angle that is lower than the stage, so it is possible to recover onto the stage and act immediately (but it's probably unsafe most times).

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
Also, I'd like to comment that this could be a useful way to cover options while recovering. You can actually get the perfect slide starting from an angle that is lower than the stage, so it is possible to recover onto the stage and act immediately (but it's probably unsafe most times).
the measurement I use for getting the perfect slide is 1,5 ike's so it's really hard to recover at that height normally, the only way to do it is guessing the correct diagonal angle of fast fire bird

_Barrage

Smash Rookie
the measurement I use for getting the perfect slide is 1,5 ike's so it's really hard to recover at that height normally, the only way to do it is guessing the correct diagonal angle of fast fire bird
It is basically guessing, yeah, but I've managed to make it work fairly consistently actually. Though it is potentially very punishing if you do not get it right.

ARKills

Smash Cadet
NNID
sl33py1
3DS FC
0404-5541-7941
This is a pretty useful technique. I'm trying to figure out how I can make use of platforms for this tech. Getting the right angle for it on the ground is tough to do with the circle pad though.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
This thread is too post all about this advances technique, grounded and the aerial version of it.
I'll add all the stuff I know about this tech and most of the aplications I've found so far, if someone knows who discovered it please tell me to add him to the credits.

Tech Information:
Falco can perform a perfect landing by landing right after the end of falco's somersault which is the animation that comes right after fast fire bird, this can be done by doing an angled input during fast fire bird on the ground, the direction is really strict and its not easy to do.
I suggest to try the angle that's between the ftilt upwards and the standard ftilt, that's the only way I know this move can be used on the ground.
The perfect landing will end in falco landing with no lagg and carrying the momentum from the fast fire bird making falco to get attacks instantly with increased range right after landing.
The aerial version of FFB perfect landing slide can be consistently done by double jumping (first jump must be a small short hop) falco right after the animation of the second jump gets triggered you will hear the second jump SFX that when you input fast firebird to the side, this will end with falco performing a falco somersault and landing perfectly ready to attack or grab.

FFB Perfect Landing Slide (Air Version)
-Perfect Landing Slide into Usmash/Dsmash
-Perfect Landing Slide cancel (moves that cancel momentum)
-Perfect Landing Slide cancel with Jump cancel USmash

-Perfect Landing Slide into grab

FFB Perfect Landing Slide (Ground Version)
-Perfect Landing Slide to smash attacks that carry momentum

[WORK IN PROGRESS]
YOU ARE MY HERO

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Man how do you guys do this consistently? I know where the height it (It's pretty much splitting Smashville's platform) but after an hour of practice I can do it only semi-consistently at 2/3 speed and I can barely do it on normal speed at all.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
Man how do you guys do this consistently? I know where the height it (It's pretty much splitting Smashville's platform) but after an hour of practice I can do it only semi-consistently at 2/3 speed and I can barely do it on normal speed at all.
if you do it by jumping normally it's going to be really hard, like I said before there is some ways to do it consistently by reducing the possible heights you can use fast fire bird, my way of doing like I show it in these videos is by double jumping really fast, during double jump animation some heights aren't available to use fast fire bird, this can help you to get the correct height right.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
^

Yeah tightening up the double jumps as much as you can seems to be the best way to executed, when in a match.

But if you need extra help like i did, just go to omega Pyrosphere and use that Blue light on the right side of the stage for preference ^^

The middle of the blue circle actually marks the sweet spot for the Perfect Landing :p

Spent some time in training mode with the fixed camera option,just doing this and I already got the gist of the timing and workings. \^_^

Great find btw lol

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I'm messing around with this right now, it's very precise but it seems like you can get Falco to turn his back to he opponent and throw out a bair.
I can see this is going to be a very good tech for Falco as the meta goes on.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
^

Yeah tightening up the double jumps as much as you can seems to be the best way to executed, when in a match.

But if you need extra help like i did, just go to omega Pyrosphere and use that Blue light on the right side of the stage for preference ^^

The middle of the blue circle actually marks the sweet spot for the Perfect Landing :p

Spent some time in training mode with the fixed camera option,just doing this and I already got the gist of the timing and workings. \^_^

Great find btw lol
I wouldn't say the middle of the circle. moreso the top part/ metal part of the button. Just spent 2 hours trying to sweet spot in that middle of the blue circle trying to perfect land. Don't be an idiot like me people.

_Barrage

Smash Rookie
I'm messing around with this right now, it's very precise but it seems like you can get Falco to turn his back to he opponent and throw out a bair.
I can see this is going to be a very good tech for Falco as the meta goes on.
Do you mind elaborating on this? Do you mean like putting in a backwards input after the directional input for the up special?

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Yes, during the slide, you can get Falco to turn around, but you have to be very light on the stick or else Falco will start his running animation, which is what you don't want.
If done correctly he will stay in a neutral position.
I'll try to get a recording of it.
I've only gotten it to work a few times, and they haven't been in a real match.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
i cant get this down, god damn
It's hard man took me like an hour to get at least one slide. Once you get it though its a breeze. @ MOI-ARI MOI-ARI advice helped me alot. used the upper part of the metal blue button as a guide. Love your falco from shofu's vids

Last edited:

The Elephant

Smash Rookie
NNID
The_Elephant
This sure Is difficult to pull off, I've managed maybe 1 out of 30 or so far.

My biggest issue is timing the input on the way down. Do you put the input while he's landing, before or after he's already landed?

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
This sure Is difficult to pull off, I've managed maybe 1 out of 30 or so far.

My biggest issue is timing the input on the way down. Do you put the input while he's landing, before or after he's already landed?
What do you mean?
If you successfully get the slide you can input the attack whenever you want unless its a move that cancels momentum

The Elephant

Smash Rookie
NNID
The_Elephant
What do you mean?
If you successfully get the slide you can input the attack whenever you want unless its a move that cancels momentum
I was referring to the input that initiates perfect landing. You said it's between a F-tilt and utilt?

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
I was referring to the input that initiates perfect landing. You said it's between a F-tilt and utilt?
exactly but that's only for the grounded version, it's still really hard to do because there is 3 possible angles between those and only one of those work.

Top Bottom