• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon's knee - The unintentional nerf

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
With the hit stun so low, it's very hard to sweet spot a Falcon knee these days. Also, I can almost never land one if they're just on the ground. I try to SH knee, but it just wont work. I can rarely land a knee, let alone a sweet spotter. Anyone have suggestions, or things that can combo into a knee?

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
Don't try to use it on the ground. There's too much lag if they shield it and you will get Shieldgrabbed... and it likely won't hit, anyway.

Bait an airdodge in the air from them and then knock them out with the Knee. Then be sure to FastFall, hit teh Down Taunt and say, loudly, "MIIIIIIINDGAMES"

DivinityZERO

Smash Rookie
The knee is a real hassle to use now.

Personally, I usually start off my combos from the ground with a Raptor Boost to a Uair and if their percentage is low enough, into a knee. But thats really all luck... >_>

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Maybe I'm playing against suckers. I can land the knee on big guys pretty easily, while on the ground. I sweet spotted a Charizard while he was getting switched.
Rock.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
The Knee is exactly the same as the melee version, it's just that the sweetspot time happens almost instantly. Literally. It just takes practice and the realization that it now needs to be timed.

It's not longer: Dash -> Sh -> Knee when you're 1/2 way there -> Sweetspot

Now it's: Dash -> Sh -> Be almost on top of them (literally) -> Knee -> Sweetspot

Just practice against Pikachu in Training mode. I can now Dash -> SH -> Sweetspot'd knee.

Just takes practice.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
to knee ppl on the groud, u must fast fall
after playing falcon for main ever since brawl came out, me and i bet most ppl have realize where the sweetspot of the new knee is at.
go to practice mode and test different spot of the knee and u'll get it

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
reverse shorthopped knee when they're attacking you is pretty sweet too. dthrow to knee at melee percentages still seem to work, at least for me.

IWuvGeno

Smash Apprentice
Trouble is, SH'd FF knee is highly punishable for a grounded opponent. I've had great success with the knee sweetspot, but it's only really viable when someone becomes airborne. Even then, try landing an aerial knee on a good Marth these days... he'll recover and fair you in an instant.

You're better off spamming uair all day and occasionally tossing a knee in for the kill.

Raptor boost has no priority... mind games will bait so many horribly punished side B's... not a reliable combo, especially without dodge frames.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
The Knee is exactly the same as the melee version, it's just that the sweetspot time happens almost instantly. Literally. It just takes practice and the realization that it now needs to be timed.

It's not longer: Dash -> Sh -> Knee when you're 1/2 way there -> Sweetspot

Now it's: Dash -> Sh -> Be almost on top of them (literally) -> Knee -> Sweetspot

Just practice against Pikachu in Training mode. I can now Dash -> SH -> Sweetspot'd knee.

Just takes practice.
Problem is, your opponent will shield, you be suffering from so much lag, and they'll punish you because you had to wait to the last second to knee them. Even though the knee is slightly different because of the instant sweet spot, it makes it incredibly hard to use. As of right now I can only land a knee with luck or punishing someone while the suffer lag.

Scar

#HarveyDent
The raptor boost knees and dthrow knees work if your opponent is stupid and doesn't realize that it doesn't actually combo. If you play against someone actually good, you will NEVER combo into a sweetspot knee.

The only time I have ever done it was at the edge when I stomped a Falco on the stage, went past him (didn't land so no landing lag) and then SS knee'd him in his stun. There is too little stun otherwise to combo into it, and this specific setup is far too specific. In other words, it's not reliable enough to even consider using consistently.

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
This topic goes half and half. Some agree that it can work, and is easy, others say it's hard and/or punishible. This is what I mean. The knee just isn't as reliable as it used to be. It's time to say good bye to old faithful, for the most part. Only to be used on momentous occasions with everything on the line.

Mann

Smash Ace
This topic goes half and half. Some agree that it can work, and is easy, others say it's hard and/or punishible. This is what I mean. The knee just isn't as reliable as it used to be. It's time to say good bye to old faithful, for the most part. Only to be used on momentous occasions with everything on the line.
It wouldn't say half and half. People's experiences differ too much from each other. It's shorter. It's laggy. Harder to actually combo into a sweet spotted knee. But as it still stands, it's worse than what it was in Melee. OF COURSE people will be able to use it. No one said it was impossible. It's just difficult.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I say it's virtually impossible to combo into a SS fair and it is impossible to reliably and frequently combo into it.

Edit: CF's fair in Melee is called the knee. His fair in Brawl is called a fair.

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol The Knee is a ridiculous combo starter, edgeguarder, epic combo finisher, etc. etc.

Brawl CF's fair is not all of those things and hence I do not call it the knee.

Soma

Smash Journeyman
Before the knee was cause for celebration after a long combo...
Example: D-Throw, Nair, Uair, Knee... press up on d-pad.
Now, its a punishment for supreme stupidity, luck, or due to amazing mindgames...
Example: "You're dumb" Fair... "****, you're still alive!"

Mann

Smash Ace
you have to mind game them into letting you do it after an up throw.
No. Because people can see it a mile away. By the time you think it's time to do a knee, chances of their % being too high is... high. Better off doing Uairs. Anyone that gets hit from a Uair > Knee, probably wasn't paying attention.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I think people are massively overestimating the difficulty of landing a knee. I am not much of a Captain Falcon player, so I'm not going to use myself as an example, but I would not be at all surprised if the better players will be able to use it about as effectively as they did in Melee.

Also, I'm almost certain the knee is actually more powerful in Brawl, which is why they made it a little more difficult to hit with.

The biggest obstacle facing Captain Falcon users, I think, is stale move negation. A mistimed knee is a problem, and it means you'll have to keep it stored until you're sure (enough) that you can land one.

Top Bottom