• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon vs. Pika?

ItsIve

Smash Cadet
What's up y'all, I need help with the Pika match-up. It's literally (statistically), his worst match-up in the entire game. I don't want to have to learn a new character for this match-up only, unless I absolutely have to. I was playing a Pikachu earlier in friendlies, and he has zero lag on everything. I can't punish him for throwing out moves because there's hardly any window to actually punish him. I managed to 2-0 him somehow though, 2-stocking him game 2, but it was rough. A ton of my moves (especially my dash grab) miss for the simple fact that Pikachu is just too short, which is mad annoying. If Wii Fit Trainer's grab range was modified to grab shorter characters, then why can't it be a universal trait for all characters? Why make a character that needs grabs unable to grab certain characters? That's just a little tangent though, what I'm really concerned about is this match-up in particular (I've sort of learned to deal with his other difficult match-ups). If anyone has any general advice about fighting Pikachu along with any Falcon-specific tips about the match-up, maybe even some links to top-level tournament sets of Falcon winning the match-up (apparently Fatality mentioned that he has very little Pika experience as well, which is unfortunate because I learn a lot from watching his gameplay), it would be very much appreciated.

But is the match-up so bad that I'm gonna have to learn a secondary to deal with him? I sometimes use Ness and Fox, but mostly as joke characters. I feel like Ness has the best chance against Pika, but I don't know honestly. I don't know much about either character.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
Pikachu is short, and it is incredibly annoying not being able to hit him. I recommend using more dash attacks and down tilts because they should hit even Pikachu. Falcon's jab also should be able to hit, unless Pika's ducking (maybe). You just have to keep in mind how short he is and compensate for it. Raptor boost and Falcon kick work well too, but only occasionally, or else you'll start getting punished for it. Down-smash can substitute forward-smash, and Falcon's up tilt has some decent range. Hope this helps.

ItsIve

Smash Cadet
Pikachu is short, and it is incredibly annoying not being able to hit him. I recommend using more dash attacks and down tilts because they should hit even Pikachu. Falcon's jab also should be able to hit, unless Pika's ducking (maybe). You just have to keep in mind how short he is and compensate for it. Raptor boost and Falcon kick work well too, but only occasionally, or else you'll start getting punished for it. Down-smash can substitute forward-smash, and Falcon's up tilt has some decent range. Hope this helps.
Sounds like a plan! Thanks so much for your help! :)

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
One more thing.
If you're not already, tilt your side tilts and elbows down to get the best chance of a hit.

And you are welcome.

Last edited:

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
bait him into the open by running straight towards him then on the opposite side he must likely throw some attacks during the pursuit then you can punish him with down tilts or even launch him with a raptor boost once in the air he`s vulnerable

LinkoHakurei

Smash Cadet
NNID
LinkoHakurei
3DS FC
3136-6656-2820
Another thing to mention is that dash grab > down throw > knee is guaranteed until 60% on Pikachu so try to finish the stocks early if u get the chance.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
Also you can dash grab him and Dthrow into Knee around 45% if you are in the edge of the platform while doing this...boom he`s dead

Top Bottom