• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Throws

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I would like to get a little advice on Falcon's throws.
This started off as just being about dthrow and uthrow, but then I figured I'd soak in all that I can.

From the Falcon plays that I've seen, people rarely use uthrow. It's usually dthrow.
But fastfallers at higher percents can usually be regrabbed after an uthrow. How come dthrow is usually the chosen option here. I would also think that the DI on an uthrow would be easier to read since the opponent is in the air longer.
I've been fthrowing when I have my opponent at the edge of the stage at kill percents, and only recently learned about the delicious dthrow -> drop zone knee. So is there any time where fthrow and bthrow are the better choices as opposed to dthrow?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I know Uthrow -> Uair is also fairly common, but I'm just starting in the world of Falcon, so that's as much advice as I can accurately give at the moment.

Sour_e

Smash Rookie
If I'm in the situation where I'm tech chasing, I will bthrow instead of fthrow to keep them on ledge, usually they will tech and roll away so I just follow up with a knee. Easy read.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Unless your opponent is intelligent enough to consider the possibility. But that goes with each opponent.

Doesn't bthrow need to be in higher percents before it sends the opponent into tumble?

Sour_e

Smash Rookie
Yes it does (I believe around a hefty 50%). You definitely want to use that only on fast fallers otherwise characters like Marth and Sheik jump out of it. Just a good way to mix it up since people only think about falcon's d/u throws.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
Throws are super important for captain falcon. Against floaties, there is no reason to b/f-throw because you have so much guaranteed damage with a d/u-throw. With Marth and Sheik, you have guaranteed Up-throw Knee from about 70-100% (Give or take, don't quote me on that) and same with Down-throw against Puff and Peach. And that's just for kill moves. Any floaties you throw at 30% should eat a fat nair or up air into a nice combo all the time.

For tech chasing fastfallers, Up-throw is optimal because you can react to their DI better, but you'll still want to Down-throw under platforms to prevent them from landing on them. I think around 80% on spacies you can up-throw f-smash them, just react to their DI. And at about 120% you can usually up-throw knee spacies as well.

I wouldn't really use forward or back throw on an opponent unless they're at really high percent and I can toss them off stage for an edgeguard situation. Besides that those throws are almost always on accident haha

Morbellix

Smash Rookie
As Falcon main throws are mad important. Landing a grab should lead to a heavy punish against most characters. I'd look around and see if you can find some concrete % data regarding what you can do out of what throw based on their DI. Try to find Kanado's post on falcon u-throw vs falco and memorize and practice executing it. Whether you want to use U-Throw or D-throw to punish is usually weight and percent based. I personally only use F-throw as a mix up or to gain stage control. I very rarely use B-throw and when I do its usually because i messed up trying to down throw lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom