• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon, the ledge god

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious, why don't more falcons use the ledge to their advantage? You have a stall like sheik, and you have invincible aerials.

When I am cornered, I like to wavedash back and grab the ledge. From there, I can either stall for a bit, or launch an invincible nair when I'm ready. Its a great option. They can either get hit by the nair or retreat to center stage, giving you more space to work with. If they go to the platform, just do an invincible upair. You should try this out, its an amazing option.

Thoughts? I think falcons ledge game is amazing and under appreciated

Last edited:

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Almost every character has invincible ariels, but shield grab counters almost every option. Obviously Hax-dashing is one way of stalling, but with the technical prowess that it requires, I'm not surprised how uncommon it is.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
I'm curious, why don't more falcons use the ledge to their advantage? You have a stall like sheik, and you have invincible aerials.

When I am cornered, I like to wavedash back and grab the ledge. From there, I can either stall for a bit, or launch an invincible nair when I'm ready. Its a great option. They can either get hit by the nair or retreat to center stage, giving you more space to work with. If they go to the platform, just do an invincible upair. You should try this out, its an amazing option.

Thoughts? I think falcons ledge game is amazing and under appreciated
I agree completely, however it is a very technically demanding option. I think Falcon has some good options from the ledge and you can capitalize on a poorly spaced opponent (use AI bair from ledge). AI bair in my opinion is the best way to leave the ledge safely, as you will be able to be positive on shield, allowing you to hit their shield and flee to center stage.

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
I agree completely, however it is a very technically demanding option. I think Falcon has some good options from the ledge and you can capitalize on a poorly spaced opponent (use AI bair from ledge). AI bair in my opinion is the best way to leave the ledge safely, as you will be able to be positive on shield, allowing you to hit their shield and flee to center stage.
My bad, what does AI stand for?

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
My bad, what does AI stand for?
AI stands for Aerial Interrupt, which can be preformed by Captain Falcon with bair to essentially auto cancel onto stage from ledge. The execution for that one is simply let go of ledge, double jump within 2 frames of letting go, and execute bair within 2 frames after you double jump. I use c stick to buffer bair out of double jump, so I can have full control of my aerial drift with the control stick. You can use this technique with platforms (similar to how Samus mains use AI to grab immediately onto platforms), however I have yet to do in depth testing on it. More to come.

Last edited:

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
AI stands for Aerial Interrupt, which can be preformed by Captain Falcon with bair to essentially auto cancel onto stage from ledge. The execution for that one is simply let go of ledge, double jump within 2 frames of letting go, and execute bair within 2 frames after you double jump. I use c stick to buffer bair out of double jump, so I can have full control of my aerial drift with the control stick. You can use this technique with platforms (similar to how Samus mains use AI to grab immediately onto platforms), however I have yet to do in depth testing on it. More to come.
This is extremely interesting. I really believe that Falcon is the hardest character in the game, up there with Yoshi and Fox at the very least.

Last edited:

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
This is extremely interesting. I really believe that Falcon is the hardest character in the game, up there with Yoshi and Fox at the very least.
Agreed, which is why I have a lot of respect for people who can harness his power. Plus, he really makes you feel like you earned your wins

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
This is extremely interesting.
Agreed, which is why I have a lot of respect for people who can harness his power. Plus, he really makes you feel like you earned your wins
Oh, definitely. His neutral game is a lot of work. Theres not much room to mess up his punish game. You die for free offstage. His tech is stupid hard. Yet for some reason I feel like he could win a national. He's got all the right tools and people are finally figuring out how to play him optimally

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
Oh, definitely. His neutral game is a lot of work. Theres not much room to mess up his punish game. You die for free offstage. His tech is stupid hard. Yet for some reason I feel like he could win a national. He's got all the right tools and people are finally figuring out how to play him optimally
I think it's completely possible. It's good to know that people are learning to maximize Falcon's options now, and refreshing to see that it still looks amazing.

tsulz

Smash Rookie
I have a huge appreciation of falcon coming from the ledge, mainly in the form of edgegaurding from it, so I don't know how well this will relate, but there may be some useful stuff here that I have to say. For the most part, what sets falcon apart is his wide variety of movement options, and I feel finding the quickest way to the ledge is key in this situation, and also knowing what you options from ledge are (which I think is a little more obvious).

I don't know if you know about this stuff, but these are some really nice posts I found, and if you did know, them someone else might benefit from these:
http://smashboards.com/threads/protato-accidentally-finds-stuff-the-thread.392989/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/36xaw0/soapsudrop_the_fastest_way_for_falcon_to_grab/
http://smashboards.com/threads/falcons-ledge-grab-options.403745/

For off the ledge, Wizzy showed a nice mixup for recovering where he haxdashed, but instead would double jump before grabbing ledge and waveland on to a side platform, I believe this is a widely known option though.
If you are looking for some offensive stuff, there are ways to dorakai jump without using DJ on quite a few stages, I know dreamland and FD are among these. Thankfully, we do have yoshi's, FoD, and dreamland as stages where we can just scar jump instead.

Sorry this is mostly just talking about awkward tech, its my favorite topic

Last edited:

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
CF can Knee from the ledge and regrab if done quick enough. It can hit ppl that are too close to the edge that have the intention to cc your up air.

I hax dash and edge stall whenever I want to kill my opponent's momentum, avoid the avenger KO, regroup and/or recover my shield.

Last edited:

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
CF can Knee from the ledge and regrab if done quick enough. It can hit ppl that are too close to the edge that have the intention to cc your up air.

I hax dash and edge stall whenever I want to kill my opponent's momentum, avoid the avenger KO, regroup and/or recover my shield.
What I'd like to try is to edge cancel a knee from ledge into a ledge regrab, now that's next level. Hell doing that with any aerial is so amazing

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
The way l do it is tap away to let go of the edge, tap jump, tap forward + A and he'll regrab if you did it fast enough.
I know how to ledge regrab with knee (I believe it's at most 1 frame leniency from frame perfect), but if you can add an aerial into an edge cancelled hax dash... Things man. Things.

Top Bottom