• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Players Unite... 2016, Where We At?

Astherath

Smash Cadet
Hi board, my tag is Valor, and this is my first post (but you've heard this a million times, I know). I'm here to talk about the only spot of light in these dark, dark days where our Falcon gods aren't even getting top 8; 20GX. The time has come where we have to stop seeing the Florida Falcons (Gravy, Wizz, and Gahtzu) as the lonely gods that rule our little movement. Yeah, they're leaders and they're the founders of something bigger than themselves, but they need help. Our help.

What do I mean? Well, I think the chance of the 20GX movement, and optimized falcon as a whole, being true is very possible. But as Falcon players we need to let go of something that has been holding us back for more than a decade.

Pride

Think of all the times S2J told us that "lame" Falcon is bad, and it's not right. How can we progress as a movement, and as a character, if we hold on to the idea that if we don't play with style and go for dumb and unnecessarily risky moves, then we're somehow not playing the character correctly.

This is the reason Falcon doesn't win any majors. How can we expect to play in an optimized way when we feel bad for doing an up air instead of going for a 50/50 knee. I understand that Falcon is a crowd pleaser, but where does that leave our movement?

Would we rather have a very fun character to watch in combo videos, or be able to cheer on one of the optimized Falcons in the grand finals of a super major?

While playing friendlies with my training partner, he called me while I was doing knee option coverage tech chases lame and I, previously being a Sheik main, felt something I had never felt when I tech chased him 0-death with Sheik; I felt ashamed. I felt like I was doing all of my Falcon predecessors wrong, yet I never felt like that when I played Sheik. Why? It's been established that Sheik is a character that is supposed to be played for optimization, yet Falcon hasn't.

Our 20GX scientists are hard at work finding the theoretical and practical limits of our character. What's our role? We need to let go of the thoughts that have been implanted into our heads by people like S2J and MaNg0 (even though he even admitted that Falcon still has the room to be optimized). Do you think that the first Sheiks didn't feel dirty when they did ftilt --> fair instead of some bs crowdpleaser combo? But they grew past it and now look where they're at.

Let's establish this, and finish it once for all.

Thank you.

Last edited:

poopboy2002

Smash Rookie
Placing 13th at locals :^)

Honestly I don't think optimal play is the way to win with falcon. You simply won't be able to play against your opponent if you don't throw in some mix-ups. They'll learn how to DI everything properly, how to counter the grab-centric playstyle, and such.

Last edited:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
If you're mixup oriented, optimal decisions/punishes should be seen as the strongest mixup.

It's what covers the most options and what'll threaten your opponent the most because unless they choose the most specific counter decisions, they'll lose.

From there, you have other mixups to control the rest of the game.

Optimal play is super ****ing important if you want that to be a reality though.

Astherath

Smash Cadet
poopboy2002 poopboy2002 I didn't mean that mixups die when you optimize the character, I'm just saying that the mixups we use are absolutely terrible. I mean we try to do stomp on shield instead of a gentleman for what? Style? That's the kind of thing I want to change from our community.

Plus, it's been proven that (if fast enough) they can't get out of a techchase scenario/optimized combo.

PS: Good job on placings tho ;)

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
A healthy mix of both optimal play and good reads and mix ups is what will bring Falcon to the top. S2J is the best Falcon right now, and there are so many times during a set where he does something so sub-optimal that he will usually end up losing the set or game because of that decision. Good decision making is essential, on top of fantastic tech skill, which is what I think makes any play optimal. If S2J became better at edge-guarding and better, more optimal decisions, I think he would easily be in contention for the number 7 or 8 rank, or possibly even higher (Falcon mains can dream, too).

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
IMHO, Falcon has all the tools required to beat the rest of the cast; however, choosing one style over the other is not what is holding us back, I believe it is the ability of the player to blend the old school reads with the newer optimized reaction style. I practice everything based on reaction, but once I win the neutral I mix up my read/reaction follow ups by reading my opponent. This is one element of the game that I believe Falcon has given me much insight on. Optimization will only take Falcon so far, remember that this game is played by players.

It doesn't matter how many options your opponent has if you can condition them into reacting the way you want them to. It is because of this that I base much of my game upon optimized movement and spacing, and then once I get an opening changing my behavior so I don't get read in turn.

PS: The mentality that Falcon is supposed to be played flashy can be used to con your opponent. Often opponents will come to expect the less optimal option until you show the optimal one to them. If you convince them you aren't there to make a combo video, the next think they know they'll be part of your next one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hi board, my tag is Valor, and this is my first post (but you've heard this a million times, I know). I'm here to talk about the only spot of light in these dark, dark days where our Falcon gods aren't even getting top 8; 20GX. The time has come where we have to stop seeing the Florida Falcons (Gravy, Wizz, and Gahtzu) as the lonely gods that rule our little movement. Yeah, they're leaders and they're the founders of something bigger than themselves, but they need help. Our help.

What do I mean? Well, I think the chance of the 20GX movement, and optimized falcon as a whole, being true is very possible. But as Falcon players we need to let go of something that has been holding us back for more than a decade.

Pride

Think of all the times S2J told us that "lame" Falcon is bad, and it's not right. How can we progress as a movement, and as a character, if we hold on to the idea that if we don't play with style and go for dumb and unnecessarily risky moves, then we're somehow not playing the character correctly.

This is the reason Falcon doesn't win any majors. How can we expect to play in an optimized way when we feel bad for doing an up air instead of going for a 50/50 knee. I understand that Falcon is a crowd pleaser, but where does that leave our movement?

Would we rather have a very fun character to watch in combo videos, or be able to cheer on one of the optimized Falcons in the grand finals of a super major?

While playing friendlies with my training partner, he called me while I was doing knee option coverage tech chases lame and I, previously being a Sheik main, felt something I had never felt when I tech chased him 0-death with Sheik; I felt ashamed. I felt like I was doing all of my Falcon predecessors wrong, yet I never felt like that when I played Sheik. Why? It's been established that Sheik is a character that is supposed to be played for optimization, yet Falcon hasn't.

Our 20GX scientists are hard at work finding the theoretical and practical limits of our character. What's our role? We need to let go of the thoughts that have been implanted into our heads by people like S2J and MaNg0 (even though he even admitted that Falcon still has the room to be optimized). Do you think that the first Sheiks didn't feel dirty when they did ftilt --> fair instead of some bs crowdpleaser combo? But they grew past it and now look where they're at.

Let's establish this, and finish it once for all.

Thank you.
I have only said they were lame ONCE in a troll tweet I made while drunk A LONG ASS TIME AGO. Literally nothing you said in your post is correct about the way I think about the game, or about 20GX falcons rofl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanpi

Smash Rookie
I have only said they were lame ONCE in a troll tweet I made while drunk A LONG *** TIME AGO. Literally nothing you said in your post is correct about the way I think about the game, or about 20GX falcons rofl.
Ikr he should kill himself phuken piece of sheet. what a phaaaaag. S2J god would never say that seriously ******** Her tag transexual.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that his tag isn't Valor, it's Her.

kappa

Last edited:
Top Bottom