• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon platform movement

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
I was just wondering what exactly the use of platforms is for Falcon. I always see the pro's use the platforms to weave their way around their opponent. When I play myself I do this as well, but would like to have a more profound knowledge of why and when you use platforms exactly against say a marth. I know it's character dependent, but would still very much like to discuss platform movement as a neutral game offensive/defensive tool.

DruP

Smash Rookie
I've been using platform wavelands as a movement mixup.
Staying unpredictable even while comboing is mostly why I'll throw in a waveland.

Metal Gear Salad

Smash Apprentice
simple stuff like jump waveland in place fall through bair works nice

more advanced things like shield drop (facing away) uair is lovely to flick someone up for a juggle

if you're too far centered on a platform for a ledge cancel you can waveband off to continue an aerial combo too

with falcon's double jump, he rolls in to a ball tucking his legs in meaning you can perfect waveland fairly easily and get massive boosts in speed for some sick chases

Last edited:

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
Something simple you can start with to get quicker movement with platforms is jump and airdodge down (or waveland if you can already) into the platform. Just doing that will dramatically cut down the time you take to land on the platform. Once you get comfortable with this your game will continue to speed up and improve your movement options. It also just feels really nice wavelanding across platforms, if that's reason enough.

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
I understand how to do it all, because I can move around pretty quickly, I just want to understand exactly in what situations it's appropriate.

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
I understand how to do it all, because I can move around pretty quickly, I just want to understand exactly in what situations it's appropriate.
Oh my bad, I mostly do it to mix-up my approaches, or to get around quicker and in a trickier way. In situations where my opponent is respawning, I will wait in the middle of the stage, then when they come down to get me, I'll quickly jump up to top platform and waveland off and around the platforms, it actually works a lot for me on higher caliber players.

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
Yo thanks man!
Just for a bit of advanced elaboration, are there any guides out there concerning platform movements?
No problem, and I really like this training guide, I used this back when i was starting to work on my movement and general skill. Number 12 talks about wave landing a bit, I thought it helped me get it down, on top of a few other things. Check out this video, just uploaded a few days ago and is the best wavelanding guide I have seen, I learned new stuff watching this. Follow this channel and these Falcon players, they are doing big things for the Falcon meta.

This is probably my favorite usage of wavelandings that trip up the opponent so much and coverts into a nice kill.

edit: just noticed I linked the same video twice saying the same thing in two different posts, oops.

Last edited:
Top Bottom