• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon In Doubles

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I'm probably going to be participating in a doubles tourney sometime soon, and was wondering how Falcon does in doubles. I have a Fox but I feel like my Falcon is better. In a doubles environment, would Fox just be a better partner for my teammate? He mains Falco, if it makes any difference.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I definitely struggle with Falcon in Doubles. Would love to hear some input on this.

Greed-checkTheTek

Smash Ace
Captain falcon would be a better option imagine if a marth were to fight you, Captain for sure, if an opponent has his damage raised a good knee would be great on teams.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
One thing I enjoy about Falcon is that he usually has a better time recovering in doubles, recovering super high doesn't get punished as hard so use that to your advantage. Just keep doing upBs until your teammate comes to help you out.

Falcon's really fast so I try to take advantage of that. If your opponent stop applying pressure on you, it sometimes is better to ignore them and focus on 2v1ing the other with your teammate. It's a great way to force them to approach. That applies to doubles in general, but Falcon can be and needs to be very good at switching between his opponents to utilize his speed effectively.

I think Falcon is best staying on stage for the most part in doubles, as he can still get gimped offstage easily. My main teammate is a Sheik player, so I let him edgeguard the opponents from the ledge, and I focus on punishing them for landing on stage. It works out pretty well. It's something you have to feel out though, if your edgeguards are on point then definitely go for it, but if you don't think you can edgeguard an opponent, just let him take his time recovering and work that 2v1 with your teammate. That's especially important against floaty characters like Luigi and Samus, who take 20 years to recover. There's no point just waiting for them to come back (or going offstage and whiffing lol), just keep hitting them back off stage and work the 2v1.

Also work on grab combos. Falcon's good at this, if your teammate grabs your opponent, that's a free knee if you're quick enough. Just make sure not to knee your teammate too :)

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, you can learn a lot from watching Scar in doubles (such as how horrible of a person Leffen is when he is playing).

EDIT: I have converted! Now the good Captain is now my official main!

Last edited:

Morbellix

Smash Rookie
I saw this thread a few days ago but wanted to wait to comment till i got to grind out doubles for a few hours yesterday. Everything Equal said is really good imo. From what i discovered yesterday, its really hard to preform in double if you and your teammate aren't in-sync. If you guys are playing well a grab at mid percent can lead to an easy kill via knee or you setting up a combo for your teammate. One thing to note with Falcon is you have to be wary with what throw you use because the thrown character can hit your teammate and hurt them (I've only noticed this with down throw and forward throw, im not sure if it applies to up and back throws). Using your speed and knowing when to disengage and try to make plays 2 v 1 is obscenely important and one of Falcons best qualities in teams. There's not much more that i can say that's not just reiterating Equals post.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
"Falcon is good in teams. A good Falcon is much better than a mediocre Fox."

Especially if there is a Good Fox or Good Marth working with the Good Falcon.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I would assume a good Falcon would be better than a mediocre Fox. My Falcon and Fox kind of go on and off, though. Today I was best with Jigglypuff and Young Link. Most days it's Falcon or Fox, so I don't really know who I'm better at yet.

Having played many casual games of doubles since making this thread (most of which were in PM), I found that Falcon is hilarious in doubles, and thus will continue to use him.

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
No other character can put out such a strong attack from anywhere else on the map within a second or so. There's a lot of value in that.

Top Bottom