• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Freakout

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Many people on this forums seem to be having exactly what the title of this thread says; a "Falcon Freakout." I would say that a distinct majority of people on this forum are either pessimistic about Falcon from watching videos or are disappointed with him after actually playing the game as him. Let it be known that like 95% of the people on this board, I do NOT have Brawl yet. However, I have seen many Falcon videos and I think I finally have come to a proper conclusion about Falcon thusfar into Brawl's life.

People don't know what the heck they're doing when they play as Falcon. I have only seen one video in which I thought to myself afterwards "dang, that player really knows how to play Falcon", and all of the others have left me thinking that some 8 year-olds have taken over YouTube (the only video I was impressed by was the 10 second or so Uair combo video). Here's why I think that people are fearing and thinking the worst about Falcon.

1. No one on YouTube (as far as I've seen) has displayed any form of accuracy. I know it's a new game with new physics, but missing 80% of your aerials in a 3 stock match is pathetic. Falcon users that I've seen also look confused on the ground and tend to just use random moves in hope of connecting something. This leads into my next observation...

2. No one seems to have a plan for the match when they are playing. It seems to me like everyone is just diving into combat with some hope that Falcon's testosterone will propel them to victory. I know Brawl is a new game and not like Melee, but there are definitely simple strategies that all good Falcon users know from Melee that MUST translate over to Brawl. Once again it just seems like everyone is confused like they aren't familiar with his moveset or something even though it's exactly the same (though with notable property changes).

Those are the two key flaws that stick out to me in every Brawl Falcon video I watch. Lack of well-thoughtout strategies and lack of accuracy. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that mastering those two things are easy in Brawl. I just think that as people start to make strides in their game, Falcon will look better and better. To be honest I thought Falcon was a terrible character when I first started playing Melee. But after I learned the game and understood it much more, I was able to awaken the beast within Falcon. I'm certain the same will apply in Brawl.

Just give Falcon time people, he will come through. He is no doubt not the spitting image of his former Melee self, but he is definitely not terrible like many think he is. Many believe Falcon to be the worst character in Brawl, but I have yet to see anything that would make me think he has much less potential than he had in Melee.

Feel free to let loose your own thoughts on Falcon. If you think I'm full of it, let me hear it. I'm not the Falcon expert by any means, so I'm sure there are some problems with my thinking. As soon as Sunday hits I'll be sure to update you all with my opinion on Falcon (also look for videos to come later on).

By the way on a final note, does anyone else get bothered by how ridiculously LOUD his footsteps are? It sounds like he's hammering an I-Beam! That has just been on my chest for a while so I had to get it off in here somewhere.

Lid

Smash Apprentice
well said. alot of my friends are complaining about him too, but to me he looks like he just has a new style, which isnt bad at all.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
It doesn't matter how much Falcon has been debuffed in this game. If it means smaller hit boxes, un combo-able grabs, even slower jumping, he'll always be that guy with potential. Not to mention his forward B is a good spike after a few U-airs.

Jigglypuff is doing pretty bad also.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Uh, there is a reason why he has trouble hitting stuff. It's because his attacks really aren't reliable without that godly combo setup he had in Melee.

Many people are doing much better with completely new characters. The fact that Falcon is a recurring character and coming out below these new characters with entirely new movesets really should say something to you, and people by now should be able to pick out the few differences from his moveset and adapt to them more quickly than someone else should adapt with a new character.

Likewise, there are recurring characters that are also getting better feedback than Falcon, despite also receiving several changes. Zelda for example is harder to play in Brawl, but she's clearly improved a lot. Captain Falcon doesn't have anything going for him to remedy what seems to be making him harder to play, unlike Zelda.

Falcon not having real variety in his moveset is now actually an issue for him in Brawl. If only he used his gun....he'd be so much better.=(

HesJustABoy

Smash Cadet
EVERYONE WITH THE GAME SUCKS WITH FALCON AND YES I CAN FREAKING TELL, I can't wait for the flame of "who is this nube?" etc etc etc well guess what give me your Wii # after march 9th, ill show you

Green Falcon

Smash Rookie
Falcon owns.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and forums in general. Hope i can contribute. =]

I've played Brawl multiple times. Been a falcon player since melee and i have to say that although he is different, he is far from a bad character. It took me a while to get used to his new play style but in the end i still found him to be very effective. His combat style is a bit more reserved, and combos are harder to pull off, but with a bit of practice i was able to pull off a few amazing combos that completely dominated my opponent. Just had to get used to being a bit more defensive. He was my fav. in melee, and he's still my fav in brawl.

I have played all the other characters as well... not just saying it because i love falcon. his style just works best for me.

Helicore

Smash Rookie
By the way on a final note, does anyone else get bothered by how ridiculously LOUD his footsteps are? It sounds like he's hammering an I-Beam! That has just been on my chest for a while so I had to get it off in here somewhere.

Yeah i know exactly what you mean. It drives me up the wall hearing that sound every time he starts to run and no one else has the same thing

Peaquak

Smash Rookie
i'm guessing nobody remembers falcon being 15th out of 26 in the melee tier list for awhile.

Give it time to see his true potential. Maybe he sucks...maybe he is god tier the future is uncertain.

I disagree with the "old characters should be easier to figure out than new ones" thing

Does your brain work that way? Mine doesn't. I think if you are playing ssbm on a high level you barely even think about what you are doing. Do i think to L cancel? no...to tech? no.

I have even found myself trying to tech when i play virtual fighter and other fighting games at a friends house. The stuff comes like a reflex. Its hard to change reflexes.

I was messing around one time and tried to play single button melee vs someone who didn't play ssbm nearly as much as me and i could not for the love of god press up on the stick to jump. Yet the person i was playing used up to jump when he played ssb64 and had no problem using it to jump again.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
I agree honestly.

I haven't played, so I can't really say, but there's little doubt that I WON'T play Falcon, I mean hell, I also played Mewtwo in SSBM and rocked face. I'm pretty sure I can play the new Falcon and do the same.

We'll have to wait to find his true potential yes, but meanwhlie I'll be having a blast with my reverse falcon punches. =D

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played CF in Brawl yet, but it does disappoint me that he's not the fastest character in the game anymore... He still can use his knee, but it's much, much harder to hit with. Oh well...

Winnar

Smash Lord
I'd like a link to that one match where you felt the Falcon player tapped into the potential that is Captain Falcon.

In any case, well put. I pretty much agree.

Also, don't underestimate how very strange the new physics are. In my first match I think I had about that same attack to hit ratio going. It obviously got better as I played more matches, but I totally agree. If you own the game then your accuracy should be better than 80%.

Also, Green Falcon, that's a relief to hear :D

The-Hobo

Smash Rookie
I went from the N64 Falcon straight to the Brawl Falcon...

I'm slightly discouraged at this point because of just how different it is - but there's no way I'm changing. I agree with your post, people simply need to try it out for themselves. Melee wasn't mastered in a month, was it? If it was... that was then :D

Good luck, fellow falcons.

and by the way, what's bugging me are the controls - falcon seems to be the one I have the most trouble with using B moves... half the time it falcon punches when I try to falcon dive, and I don't think it's my timing, I can do it all the time with any other character :S

Waka_Waka_do_do_yea

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter how much Falcon has been debuffed in this game. If it means smaller hit boxes, un combo-able grabs, even slower jumping, he'll always be that guy with potential. Not to mention his forward B is a good spike after a few U-airs.

Jigglypuff is doing pretty bad also.
My mains have definitely been nerfd. especially Doc :(.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I saw that video and thought it was great, but now that I have the game and have played a ton of matches against my friend who mains Ike, I can see a lot of places where that Ike just played really poorly and could've broken things up with some better maneuvering. Impressive video yes, and that Falcon is an example of what we should all be striving to be able to do, but things like that won't happen against the best players out there.

Top Bottom