• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Doubles: Falcon's Best Teammate?

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
Who is it? Here's what I think.

1. I think Peach is Falcon's best teammate. She hardly has to be bailed out of trouble, and she's an absolute wall for controlling space. With Falcon's mobility I think these two could separate enemy players and then double team one of them real hard really fast.

2 & 3. Marth and Fox I think are the next best two.

Marth can sort of play that walling character, but just not as well as Peach, and marth can't save falcon as well. marth does have great range and gimp options though, and marth can grab to set up for a knee, which gives him some good kill power.

Fox is Fox, and has all the micro spacing moves to take on one or two opponents and just run circles around them while falcon supports him with knees and edge guards.

4. Shiek is next i think, because Shiek is such a good teams character. I don't think this team comp. synergies as well as the three above, but shiek is so good that it this definitely works well. Shiek can save falcon better than anyone with needles, and also has a great ledge game, but I don't think this team excels at separating opponents or sandwhiching them, although Shiek's D-smash and Falcon's Nair can do a pseudo sandwich.

-- Not sure about Puff, Falco, or ICs. Drop some knowledge if you have it.

A friend of mine plays Luigi, and I've been thinking about that team comp. I think it could work well too, since Luigi is so fast and can cover multiple options. He is really good at juggling and has a pretty good tech-chase, ledge-game, and survivability, so overall a pretty good teammate.

What do you all think?

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
My practice partner and I will play the Captain Falco doubles strat because Falco can help bail out Falcon's recovery with lasers, and Falco and Falcon get similar sandwiching opportunities to Fox Falcon. Falco may have a worse recovery, but Falcon should probably be trying to soak up the hits anyway while Falco SH lasers behind him anyway. That being said, I'm pretty bad at teams, so please reply if anyone has any more info.

MattyMutt

Smash Cadet
I feel like puff and falcon have great teams synergy, they compliment each other so well. Falcon is fast as **** so he can make it to bail her out of rest endlag faster than any character except for maybe characters with projectiles in certain situations. Puff upthrow is the juiciest combo starter for falcon. Puff can stay in the air for ever and save falcon when his poopy recovery doesn't cut it. Not to mention both of them murder fools off of grab < hold < rest/knee. The only time puff fails falcon is when she's all the way across the stage while falcon is getting double teamed. Takes forever to come help, especially if your puff teammate is campy and defensive by nature.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
I second that, Puff Falcon is a very scary team, especially if the puff can handle edge guarding. I'm a fan of Ice Climbers and Falcon teams. IC's get to control the stage, while Falcon can throw out short hop aerials, to clip opponents with a knee after IC's Dash Attack for example. Falcon can be great support for IC's when they're in a tight spot, and their ice blocks really help with Falcon's recovery. Also, if either gets a grab it's definitely not good for the other team.

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
I'm curious, how does ICs control the stage so well? Is it with WD Dsmash? I agree that Falcon could be pretty good at bailing them out with cross stage nairs and stuff.

I don't know much about puff in teams, I think in Falcon team comps. its essential for falcon's teammate to control space since he's not the greatest waller or approacher in my opinion. Can Puff control space well? Puff seams like a cool teammate for falcon yeah.

MattyMutt

Smash Cadet
I'm curious, how does ICs control the stage so well? Is it with WD Dsmash? I agree that Falcon could be pretty good at bailing them out with cross stage nairs and stuff.

I don't know much about puff in teams, I think in Falcon team comps. its essential for falcon's teammate to control space since he's not the greatest waller or approacher in my opinion. Can Puff control space well? Puff seams like a cool teammate for falcon yeah.
Puff, like many floaties is all about controlling space. Just watch hbox play, 90% of his neutral game is just smothering his opponent's movements with back air walls.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863

WD downsmash is just one option, Desync's allow for a lot of uses for tilts with smash attacks, and IC's Dash Attack is amazing for setups, you can actually desync dash attack with Popo and have Nana trailing behind charging a smash attack to continue to combo. Their utilt stops opponents trying to vault over, and has decent horizontal stopping power, and desynced nairs are sure to hit something, and usually you can continue the combo from that even if one of your climbers gets hit. It's definitely not easy, but there is a lot of underdeveloped ground for people to improve upon.

Some other good moves for IC's is WD ftilt/utilt/jab mixed with desync's to vary hitboxes with different timings. And of course, most of these can lead to a grab from either Falcon or IC's themselves

Last edited:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I teamed with a Puff at HTC and did well. I think it has potential, Puff has to stay near Falcon and they need to move as #OneUnit, but it's like a moving fortress when Falcon/Puff stick together. 2v1 situations can get very nasty if Puff gets kicked away though.

Not a big fan of Falcon Peach in the limited experience I've had. Peach occupies a space very hard, but doesn't take too much space by herself and doesn't really help create enough chaos for Falcon to move around freely in teams. I think Falcon usually likes a more mobile teammate, either to always stay close enough for good support, or to take the frontline and cause as much ruckus as possible so Falcon can take advantage and knee everywhere with impunity. Just don't think Peach provides enough of either. Peach also can surprisingly get rocked in 2v1s if she gets caught, especially at lower %'s.

Falcon Marth also hasn't been too great in my experience, Marth has to play pretty passive to really shine in teams in my experience, but he can't do too much as a support without throwing moves that block Falcon. Also, both Marth and Falcon get absolutely destroyed when separated from each other.

Fox is Falcon's best teammate imo. I also think Fox is stupid mad good in teams though. Fast movement, fast moves, every single move of his either kills or leads into kill setups. Drill and shine also both reset situations for free. So dumb, so so good. You basically let Fox throw moves then kill whatever he sends your way. Fox also lives way longer in teams than should be legal.

Falco is tricky, but I see potential. Offensively, sounds amazing because laser + kicks + combo setups everywhere. Defensively though, both characters can get got very very quickly.

I have almost no meaningful experience with IC's in teams. I see potential in IC's causing lots of problems by throwing attacks everywhere and giving Falcon more room to breath as such. Both characters are pretty punish reliant though imo, so having both characters on the same team makes me wonder how well they'd actually synergize at higher levels. I also think getting this team separated is death, because IC's can get destroyed in combos, Nana can get really easy split up from Popo and killed, and Falcon of course can get slaughtered in 2v1's, and I think neither character is great at breaking up 2v1's when one of the opponents is walling well. Grab combos are also a lot less relevant in teams, though maybe Falcon can do a good job of walling an opponent out if the IC's wobbling the other guy.

Fun teams jank I did was actually Marth & IC's, my IC's friend would wobble on one side of the map, and I would chaingrab a spacie on the other side lmao

Sheik is a good teammate for Falcon too IMO. She can play both frontliner and support very well, so teamwork strategy can be very dynamic with Sheik. In both cases, she walls very hard with her moves, and it's just a matter of whether you're sending people into the wall or waiting for the wall to send people into you.

Last edited:

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
I'd definitely say that my top picks for a teammate as Falcon would be:

1. Puff
2. Sheik
3. Fox

I just really want to make Falcon/IC's work haha

Top Bottom