• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Ditto

Morbellix

Smash Rookie
tl;dr at a weekly I go to I got falcon punched in teams and now i have to call out that dude to a mm next time i see him. Sadly I've always been weak in the falcon ditto. I was wondering if anyone knows any random tidbits of info that could give me the edge over him.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
I'm not an expert, but grabs are good.

here's a relevant video:

/watch?v=8mC3huRB854

(above link is for youtube. Sorry, still can't post links yet)

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
It's said that Captain Falcon combos himself very well due to his weight and such. Also, since CF is a very fast character and his tech roll is PAINFULLY SLOOOW, dittos are more often than not decided by who can keep a combo going for the longest time and edgeguard his sub - par recovery or flat out kill to end the combo, or who can get the first grab and tech chase like the lamest Sheik EVER for the win. Try practicing against other CFs and looking at % ranges that certain combos start. A good way to do this is looking at film of falcon dittos such as the one above graciously provided by the #godlike Falcon boards. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. The CF mains of the interwebs are super helpful and are always happy to assist.

Best of luck, hope you kick some ass!

Morbellix

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help guys. I've been grinding out lab time to get those perfect wavelands, pivots and gentlemans. Honestly if i keep studying and putting in lab time I should be able to beat him, I've already improved a lot over this weekend. However I still can't figure out how to do multiple moonwalks in a row. Sure It'd be cool if i won the mm, but if I win the mm and land a moonwalk falcon punch on him it'd be over.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help guys. I've been grinding out lab time to get those perfect wavelands, pivots and gentlemans. Honestly if i keep studying and putting in lab time I should be able to beat him, I've already improved a lot over this weekend. However I still can't figure out how to do multiple moonwalks in a row. Sure It'd be cool if i won the mm, but if I win the mm and land a moonwalk falcon punch on him it'd be over.
True that. I have quite a bit of trouble with moonwalking myself, but something that's made it a bit easier has been perusing the Boards and YouTube for tutorials. You might want to check out some videos if you haven't already.

Gosh, I really don't know how I feel about giving out help to a Florida Falcon. On one hand, I want the character to succeed, but on the other...Florida's Falcon game kinda scares me. Too bad you live on the Atlantic side and not the awesome side, we might've been able to meet at a local or something. Perhaps CEO this summer? Who knows.

In any case, it sounds like you're well on your way to styling on this guy who called you out. A word of advice though: only throw out the MoonPunch if you're 99.9% sure it'll hit. It looses its coolness if you let everyone know it's coming. Like, make sure it's off a hard read or edgeguard or something. Lastly, a bit of styling advice. Double Knee off the edge to Falcon Dive or Kick should be used for maximum disrespect.

Last edited:

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
ur gentlewavepivot shenanigans are going to look stupid if you drop a late platform stomp to knee and lose the set.

if you want to actually win just make sure you hit the basic knee setups/common edgeguards 99% of the time.

Stark

Smash Rookie
Space those nairs. From my experience, the one who can Nair -> grab better usually takes it. Get the momentum flowing (since Falcon is a momentum machine), space well, punish well, play smart. That's actually the general thing for all of Falcon's match ups haha.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Approach quite a bit with the N-Air. That's key in a Falcon ditto neutral game. N-Air war. Beat him in the N-Air battle and do a lot of grab combos to not give him a chance at attacking.

smileee

Smash Rookie
make sure your nairs are well-spaced and frequent. i had a friend tell me that nairs in the falcon ditto are basically like falco's sh lasers, if that's any help.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
In terms of punish game, Falcon can punish himself really hard and it's generally pretty straight forward. Same with his edgeguarding. Assuming you can tech chase falcon and edgeguard him, the important step is getting that opening that allows you to do so.

Contrary to what most people in here are saying, just spamming nair isn't going to net you the win. The Falcon ditto is a matchup that I'm not comfortable in, and as such I've been studying it a bit lately. If you watch a falcon ditto you're seeing lots of dashdancing. They're doing it to bait an approach from one another. If you just mindlessly throw a nair where they are, then you are doing just what the person wants. A typical punish to a badly spaced nair is a grab. And getting grabbed in this matchup should lead to a lot of damage.

Now I'm not saying that nair is a bad option, it's falcons best approach, but that doesn't make it any less predictable and punishable if they're expecting it. So now you have to mindgame the opponent and to making your nair viable. There's plenty of ways to do this, such as getting a read on your opponents dashdancing, and overthrowing your nair hitbox onto where they will be by the time you approach. Another way that I enjoy is throwing a nair out that looks badly spaced and punishable, when it is actually safe. That usually will make your opponent attempt to punish you, and you can react and punish whatever they do instead.

I can see this thread is a bit old but I felt like giving my two cents because writing stuff out like this helps flesh out my thoughts, hope you owned the other falcon and styled hard. Also make sure to check the falcon index about the Falcon MU, it's got some good stuff in there.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Be very afraid of the other Falcon's nair at all times. Only try to shield grab it if you know you can do it perfectly since you only have 1 frame to shield grab a good nair

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Be very afraid of the other Falcon's nair at all times. Only try to shield grab it if you know you can do it perfectly since you only have 1 frame to shield grab a good nair
I'm pretty sure Falcon's Nair can't be shieldgrabbed if spaced perfectly, but here is a whole thread about Falcon's Nair that is good to read.

Top Bottom