• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon combo help!

DraculaSb

Smash Cadet
Hey Falcon mains, I understand the main things about how to use falcon but I cannot string combos together or end them properly. I can't figure out how to uair + knee or knee + knee while in midair. I would appreciate any advice or tips to get combos together/how to uair+knee. I play friends who use Falcon, Marth, Falco, and Sheik. If that helps with what I should do in those matchups. Thanks in advance!

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
Hey Falcon mains, I understand the main things about how to use falcon but I cannot string combos together or end them properly. I can't figure out how to uair + knee or knee + knee while in midair. I would appreciate any advice or tips to get combos together/how to uair+knee. I play friends who use Falcon, Marth, Falco, and Sheik. If that helps with what I should do in those matchups. Thanks in advance!
Upair Upair Knee, or the Wheel of Fortune, is USUALLY (when I do it) DI Dependant, for example I'll Upair, see the angle they fly in is open for another Upair, then see that they're close enough to knee so, what the hell. Additionally it is important to note that this is also % dependant on different characters, so like Based Protato said, you'll just have to lab it out on YouTube or in your room or whatever. You usually go about completing this combo by Launcher -> Upair -> double jump -> Upair -> L Cancel -> Weak Upair -> Double Jump -> Knee.

Soft Knee to hard knee is like the last, in that you will need a double jump and quick thinking. Whenever you get a weak knee, the opponent will be put into just a LITTLE bit of hitstun, so that's your chance to DJ -> KNEEEEEE in the face. Good luck!

DraculaSb

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. So a few days ago I was playing Marth and did an upthrow -> uair -> l cancel -> soft knee -> hard knee. It felt really hype. I just figured out the soft knee -> uair trick. Is there a specific part of my uair I should hit them with? So I can uair -> knee or uair -> uair, etc.

DraculaSb

Smash Cadet
I recorded it too and rewatched his % and how I hit him with the soft knee into hard knee. ALSO should I full jump uair or shorthop uair for those types of things?

coilerr

Smash Cadet
something that helped me was to make gifs of combos and try to reproduce them, you have everything in a gif (timing % DI).

DraculaSb

Smash Cadet
I figured out how to do the WHEEL OF FORTUNE! I only figured it out on level 9 Falcon. I recorded a bunch too.

anandb

Smash Rookie
Something that I've been doing as a falcon noob to practice shffling and stringing aerials together is play against an unplugged 'human' opponent, or in training mode. Some examples of this would be vs ganon : stomp (for %), then raptor into like 4 nairs and a knee which I originally saw mentioned by gravy in some other thread. Another example vs marth (@ ~20%) is stomp - nair - uair -knee which was mentioned possibly by Kadano Zhea as something he would practice? I can't quite remember where I read that one.

*Edit: looked up said thread, it is here: http://smashboards.com/threads/bread-and-butter-combos.331988/

Now, obviously you shouldn't be able to connect so many versus somebody with DI, but I doubt you'll be able to do that without doing these. And they're fun to practice imo.

Personally I like 20xx with red on missed l-cancel, and the timer as the combo counter so you can see if you are really connecting.

i'll post some gifs of these later cause I'm board and procrastinating.

**gfycat took forever so I'll just put up some vids

Ganon nairs knee

marth stomp nair uair knee

marth uairs

harder link nairs

probably not good even for practice
marth - nair 2xKnee

I plan to eventually make things like these out of grabs too, like the one from the falcon trials thread

Last edited:

DraculaSb

Smash Cadet
Thanks! I'm gonna practice those set ups. I honestly need a good punish game. That's why I created this thread. I'm trying to figure out how to develop a strong punish game against top or just any characters. I can't Hax dash or shield drop consistently. However I want to shield drop consistently enough to incorporate it. I want to get hax dashing too. Heard it's really difficult.

DraculaSb

Smash Cadet
Those set ups might work against my friend who is @SS with DI. Lol. He plays Marth. I hate that match up so much.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
I just want to add: make sure you have good fundamentals first. Stringing combos together is never the most important goal to any character. Combos are cool and all, and usually necessary for falcon players to making sure we finish off a stock in some situations, but without good fundamentals (SHFFL aerials, tech chasing, good spacing, etc.) not only will you not be able to perform combos in intense situations, but you won't even get many opportunities to perform them. Practicing combos is important, but I think focusing more on fundamental techniques is more important for most amateur falcon players (myself included). I find that if I'm trying to focus on getting a combo while I'm playing, I usually end up getting punished for it before I can really even get it started. Instead, I focus on what I should be doing (controlling space, tech chasing, etc), and execute a combo ONLY when the opportunity arises.

My favorite (and currently relevant) analogy using basketball: don't spend your time trying to learn how to dunk if you still have trouble dribbling the ball.

That said, if you find that you have a lot of opportunities to actually combo and fail to execute it, all you can do is practice execution. A successful combo is really just a series of successful punishes which means your opponent shouldn't have much of a say in how they get punished. One thing I'll note about 20xx is that the random DI is both a blessing and a curse. The random DI makes it a bit unrealistic at times and often causes combos to be way harder than they would against a real opponent. However, this allows you to find what combos are guaranteed regardless of DI (like the basic stomp -> knee) and also makes you focus on reacting to their DI.

Last edited:

DraculaSb

Smash Cadet
Yeah I definitely see your view. Being good in the neutral, tech chasing, and spacing should be present in every Falcon players game. Thank you for your input. Being a skateboarder I understand how important is it have good fundamentals.

SAO-Lucianous

Smash Rookie
I just want to add: make sure you have good fundamentals first. Stringing combos together is never the most important goal to any character. Combos are cool and all, and usually necessary for falcon players to making sure we finish off a stock in some situations, but without good fundamentals (SHFFL aerials, tech chasing, good spacing, etc.) not only will you not be able to perform combos in intense situations, but you won't even get many opportunities to perform them. Practicing combos is important, but I think focusing more on fundamental techniques is more important for most amateur falcon players (myself included). I find that if I'm trying to focus on getting a combo while I'm playing, I usually end up getting punished for it before I can really even get it started. Instead, I focus on what I should be doing (controlling space, tech chasing, etc), and execute a combo ONLY when the opportunity arises.

My favorite (and currently relevant) analogy using basketball: don't spend your time trying to learn how to dunk if you still have trouble dribbling the ball.

That said, if you find that you have a lot of opportunities to actually combo and fail to execute it, all you can do is practice execution. A successful combo is really just a series of successful punishes which means your opponent shouldn't have much of a say in how they get punished. One thing I'll note about 20xx is that the random DI is both a blessing and a curse. The random DI makes it a bit unrealistic at times and often causes combos to be way harder than they would against a real opponent. However, this allows you to find what combos are guaranteed regardless of DI (like the basic stomp -> knee) and also makes you focus on reacting to their DI.

Yep, I find my self getting better by focusing on the core aspects as well. I noticed that being able to execute all the basics of advanced play sets up for more punishes and combo opportunities. =,)

Top Bottom