• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon can Render Bayonetta's Grounded Side-B useless

Blush

Smash Rookie
So, I was doing some labbing just a short while ago and I discovered something interesting about Falcon v Bayonetta that might make the matchup quite a bit more tolerable for Falcon mains. Side-B at low % against Falcon can easily lead to a 40-50% string right off the bat which is expected, but still awful for us.
However, by crouching, Falcon reduces the knockback of the slide by about half and cause him to land in front of Bayonetta behind her finishing kick upwards. I didn't lab every %, but I do know that it is possible to tech the ground up until around 180% (before I stopped labbing). I'm fairly confident that at low %, you'll hit the ground at such a distance away that even missing the tech won't cause you to be hit by the launcher at the end.
I don't know how useful this knowledge could be, since a crouch could be replaced with a perfect shield and then a punish, but if Bayonetta is giving you trouble, try just crouching for the majority of the match and perhaps she'll struggle to get things going.

I'll try and get a video up at some point, but I have no time and also no second man I can use in the future, but I urge you to lab this for yourselves and practice the tech timing to save yourself from getting juggled like a madman.

Peace.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I'll wait until I see the video to hype up but if this is confirmed to work then that's pretty nice.

Now all we need is a way to get out of her up B and the matchup is ours.

Blush

Smash Rookie
I'll wait until I see the video to hype up but if this is confirmed to work then that's pretty nice.

Now all we need is a way to get out of her up B and the matchup is ours.

Alas, I tried many different directions of SDI but i think until around 60-70% falcon cant pop out of it, so if she hits an up b there just isn't too much we can do since we're so heavy. But, its possible I was messing up somehow.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
This is cool. Crouching is much more effective than it seems.

I think as OP as Bayonetta is, Falcon stil has the tools to win. If you stick to the ground during the match, crouch to avoid bullets and lessen knock back, and consistently punish her side b, I think Falcon can do it. With my experience, her grounded side b I like a better falcon kick. It slides on the ground and can lead to combos with the extra hit, but if it misses, Bayonetta's getting punished. Also, doesn't Falcon kick just beat it out completely? I think staying in shield a lot is fairly safe against her. Captain Falcon is fast enough to run away if his shield gets low. And while her recovery is great, it's still linear. If you can hit her after her midair jump or maybe stomp her side b, she'd be doomed with her Sopo up b.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yes, she is easy to gimp if she has used her second jump but no, that doesn't make herrrecovery linear or easy to gimp. There are so many ways for Bayo to come back on stage without even having to use her second jump you have to make a hard read to punish it. And then even if she is forced to use her up b the hitbox is clearly big enough to make it safe from above.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
the only problem with this is that Heel Slide (Grounded Side-B) is way too punishable as its too weak against shield (you can shieldgrab between the slide and the kick and even after the kick) so it is never used as an approach move.

however, its an pretty good punish tool when Captain Falcon whiffs an Dash Attack or Dash Grab or at catching landings. you will not have time to "duck" to reduce Knockback

Last edited:
Top Bottom