• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco VS Jigglypuff

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
telling people that my name is pronouced "Typ
Ok so I've read dozens of threads about jigglypuffs apparent advantage against fastfallers (and created my fair share). I hope to use this thread to clear up any problems anyone may have against jigglypuff as falco.

The biggest problem with jigglypuff is the upthrow to rest. It's very easy to get caught up in it.

Ok so, the first step is DI. There are two types of DI in the upthrow rest...The first is the DIing of the throw. If you DI to the right or left, you should get out of harms way for a rest. HOWEVER, don't forget that they can still get you with a bair or fair, so just because you DI the throw doesn't mean you're completely out of danger.

The second type of DI is the more desperate one. If you're at very low %s or in a very large stage, you can DI (or smash DI) the rest attack. So basically, if you get caught in the upthrow and fail to DI, you can DI the rest to survive(sometimes). DI up and away from which ever side he's blasting you. If you're not sure what side he's going to hit you on, just DI up.

So by now, you've probably realized that you'll need some pretty good reactions to tell when a uthrow rest is coming. But it's not all about reaction time. Nobody can go "Oh...he grabbed me...I better DI!". The throw comes out way too fast for you to DI like that. No, you need to DI smarter. When a Jigglypuff wants to grab you, they look for an opening. Now, jigglypuff doesn't have the speed of fox or the grab range of marth. What does this mean? It means YOU need to approach Jigglypuff. This means that if you are gonna get grabbed, they need to look for an opening. And who has a better grasp of any openings in your defense? You? Or your opponent? The answer should be YOU. You need to know EXACTLY what you're doing, and if you mess up, you need to know exactly what they're going to do. So if you're in jigglypuff's grab range and you mess up(all of us do), most jigglypuffs are going to grab you, so just immediately hold left or right. You need to be DIing BEFORE he grabs you. Get it now?

Ok, moving on...

In this matchup, who has the projectile, and who doesn't? Oh, that's right. Falco has one of the BEST projectiles, and Jigglypuff has *gasp* NONE! Then, why, tell me *WHY* do falcos feel that they must approach jigglypuff! The answer is they don't need to. Yes, jigglypuff can duck under the lasers. However, good SHLing can get them occasionally. Also, jigglypuff can't stay ducking there forever...they're gonna have to approach sooner or later. Now, I don't know how many of you know this, but jigglypuff is at the biggest disadvantage when it advances, especially against falco. Jigglypuff can't do ANYTHING to a falco who SHLs correctly. Even the wall of pain can be metaphorically knocked down by falco's lasers. If he chooses to jump above your lasers, don't be intimidated by his aerial priority. Your bair or nair have great range and priority against his fair or bair. Remember, the key is that he approaches you.

Hand to hand combat: It's gonna happen eventually. The first thing you need to remember is to get out of jigglypuff's grab range. Falco's ftilt comes incredibly handy here. It's fast, it's got range, and at high %s, can actually kill jigglypuff. Also, if your back is facing the opponent, the utilt comes in handy...just make sure you hit the jigglypuff regardless of whether they sheild/etc because it has lots of priority. but it doesn't have much range, so make sure you hit with it. Basically, you should do any move that ends with you out of jigglypuff's grab range. Ftilt will work if you make the most of ts range. A shffl will work, however, you need to make sure you jump behind jigglypuff to avoid the grab. But make sure you hold away with your control stick when you miss or he blocks ANY attack when you're in grab range in front or BEHIND him, because jigglypuff can also use utilt as a setup for rest.

One of the best things to remember in close combat is this: If jigglypuff uses WoP or any variant thereof, immediately get out of there and SH laser. If you can do it reliably, reverse SHL works well.

......................Aaaaaaaaaaand of course you could just go viperboy style...do nothing, i mean like NOTHING but laser. But if you're not comfortable spamming at such levels, you don't have to do it ;)

Guys, I want to make this as helpful as possible...please suggest anything you find helpful against jigglypuff, I'll add it. ^_^

Cheezzhead

Smash Rookie
well, that pretty much sums it up...
but about the SHL, i've seen jigglypuffs do a wavedash and immediately flattening themselves after that, wouldn't that work against Falco's spam laser?

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
well, that pretty much sums it up...
but about the SHL, i've seen jigglypuffs do a wavedash and immediately flattening themselves after that, wouldn't that work against Falco's spam laser?
That's the point. :laugh:

The point is that the jigglypuff is wavedashing TOWARDS you. Remember, jigglypuff almost always does better on the defensive. Getting a jigglypuff to advance is harder than you might think, and sometimes the best thing to do is just laser spam.

Nurok

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff is gay
utilt is your friend for this matchup-lot of priority.
just wanted to add that on
ALSO
another thing a friend of mine told me- always DI(when you know the jiggly is gonna upthrow you) to the direction its eyes are facing
So,
if its facing right, DI right.
Believe me, this works.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff is gay
utilt is your friend for this matchup-lot of priority.
just wanted to add that on
ALSO
another thing a friend of mine told me- always DI(when you know the jiggly is gonna upthrow you) to the direction its eyes are facing
So,
if its facing right, DI right.
Believe me, this works.
What...? Just DI either way...if you DI to the left or right, it sufficiently gets you out of harms way. =/

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Uhh, it might be a bad idea to always DI the way the jiggs is facing, Nurok? If the jiggs catches on, thats an insta-WoP to the face, and quite possibly a stock. I would be tempted to mix up my DI on uthrows, even if it means not getting as far when DIing behind puff. Besides, even if you DI right into a utilt, your DI is already correct to deal with that too. Chances are, you won't eat a rest unless it's the like the third time that's happened.

Of course, as it's already been mentioned several times, SHL > Jiggs in every way. It steals Jigg's jumps, it pulls her out of the sky, it forces her to approach you and you are completely lagless no matter how long you do it for.

Assuming Jiggs tries to approach you and (somehow) succeeds in getting to you, you've got ground moves that completely outprioritize her ground moves (your ftilt, utilt and dtilt especially. Dtilt can KO a puff at surprisingly low percentages, especially if the puff dosn't expect it and has no time to DI. It has deceiving reach too. Keep that in mind). The only thing to watch out for it a grab...blah blah blah...already mentioned. Any Falco proficient with DI and his lasers should be able to take a Jiggs on.

Spartamus

Smash Apprentice
pritty much what you have to do when fighting a puff with and fast fallers is... make sure you DI the up through or just dont get grabed. don't miss your l-cancels or land on the other side of their sheld to avode grab.

mathos

Smash Champion
Well pillaring is supposed to be hard too. Jiggs can be a tough matchup.

Something is going to have to change for you sometime. Thats why practice is amazing.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
Mathos, what i meant is that it takes very little skill to laser spam, in the technical sense. But I find that it's harder to spam when it's not your normal playing style...just because it's easy doesn't mean it's not going to take any practice. But I think that's what you're trying to say in the first place. >_>

Anyway, if you can, add some suggestions for me, I for one know its far from perfect. :p

Spartamus

Smash Apprentice
hey but when the puff is tech chasing you what can you do... she doesnt move fast but if your oppoent is smart they will read your tech and could even tech chase you with a rest... pritty much the only thing you can do is to yes have a good apporoch but also stay on your feet. i have problems with this and still i mean really... a blind baby without the controler pluged in can beat my with jiggs. falco has a few good combos but even then you still may get graded and then i have seen this happen as well... follow the grab into a light fair into a up smash rest into a a rest.

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
Stealing Many Burritos and Miscellaneous Beverages
Man.........is this useful. I have friend that mains jiggz and im significantly better than him n he winds up beating me half the time and using the same stuff! Up Throw rest. omg is this annoying! i DI 50% of the time but it is still a pain. I usually do most of the stuff that is said too, but not all of it. I must try all of it out. Thank you so much though. :)

festizzio

Smash Champion
I was fighting a jiggs the other day and when he started to crouch + wavedash forward I found it was really easy to just run up and grab him, then retreat and spam more lasers.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I feel on the larger stages ( FD, dreamland and pokemon ) Falco has the advantage cause his spam is just obnoxious, however on the small levels battlefield, FoD, and yoshi's story its pretty much even maybe a 55-45 favor of jigglypuff, as spamming is a bit tougher and its easier for jiggs to approach you and gay of you off the edge, jiggs is one of the better characters you can choose vses falco actually.

Top Bottom