• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco, the anti-Wolf

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I main multiple characters in Brawl, or at least I frequent multiple characters. Of the characters I main, a few of them have a very difficult time against my friend's Wolf. For example, I obliterated my friend's two mains, Wario and Snake, with Sheik, ICs, and Falco, them being my true mains. My mains were more than enough for my friend to handle. Especially seeing as how I've practiced a ton since my friend last used those characters against me.

When his characters fail, he neglects them, lame, but true. He no longer attempts Wario or Snake against me, because he can't beat my main characters with them, suddenly, he turned to Wolf.

I went from kicking his @$$ as Sheik, a character I mained in Melee and had only just picked up in Brawl (Ftilt ftw) to being beaten to a pulp by his Wolf. Wolf was a surprise to me, I didn't know he'd been playing him.

Last night we played again, this time he went Wolf, and against my non mains he used Ganondorf, and surprisingly his Ganondorf is good. I whipped out my Falco against his Wolf... I've been practicing against Wolf in training.. Ultimately, If I didn't spike his side b-at the edgde, I was chaingrabbing him, and laser locking him with tilt kicks and nair. After I trashed him, he demanded a re-match, and was quite annoyed... Same result, I'd perfect shield and grab him whenever I had the chance, upon doing so, I'd chain him till about 60% or so. He got so pisssed, that he gave up and whined that Falco is broken. Then he cried that chaingrabs ruin the game... blah blah blah. He went to his Ganondorf now, and my shdl slowed down his every advance, then I met him with the same chaingrabs, at this point, he tossed his controller aside and was like "F this!" At which point, I continued to kill his lifeless character.

What a SCRUB. lol

LOL. I love Falco, and typically my friend is so lame as Wolf, spamming his laser... Falco has a counter to all of Wolf's ways. He reflects spammage, can chain grab, good smashes... I could go on and on..

Now my friend can't beat my Falco with a single character he plays.. hmm.

I love Falco!

whisperingtears

Smash Apprentice
Well if your freind is a poor sport at least humor him, in about a month he will have gone through all the charectors and just quite.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Not to be rude but I thought this thread was going to provide reasons WHY Falco would be an anti-wolf and not some story bout your friends(but trust me, i can so relate to that xD)

I wouldn't say Falco is the anti-wolf because I've actually played a Wolf player who is very good. I say it depends on the players skill rather than character superiority.

Keyblade-Dude

Smash Rookie
How cheap I agree with your friend on chain grabbing use it as a last resort. I don't chain grab at all and I'm a pretty good Falco. Chain grabbing is aggrivating and I don't use it. Oh your poor "friend".

khoasgotrice

Smash Cadet
i chaingrab my friends that are good at brawl, but i dont bother with my other friends. it will only piss them off and delude them from playing the game more.

but i actually have a hard time against wolf. my friends really good with him, if it wasnt for chaingrab i wouldnt win matches against him

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
If it was two players of equal skill it would most likely be a very close match. I wouldn't say Falco has any advantage over Wolf other than the chaingrab, so this is a very skill-based matchup.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Not to be rude but I thought this thread was going to provide reasons WHY Falco would be an anti-wolf and not some story bout your friends(but trust me, i can so relate to that xD)

I wouldn't say Falco is the anti-wolf because I've actually played a Wolf player who is very good. I say it depends on the players skill rather than character superiority.
Okay... let's see... Here's a few reasons why Falco is good against Wolf.

•His shine halts Wolf's spammage, not to mention his shine hinders approaches and is overall annoying for the enemy to deal with.

•Wolf can be chain-grabbed till about 60% or so... That's a HUGE plus.

•His gun is effective if used as a surprise, SHDL can halt aerial approaches.

•His gun shoots further (across the entire map)

•If you're spamming your laser, and you hit Wolf, usually the spamming lasers can hit Wolf a few times before he can get his shine up. This seems to be because of Wolf's slower starting shine animation...

•Falco is also one of few characters in the game to be able to cancel their dash attack animation and immediately follow up with a Usmash. This is great for racking up damage...

Yes, skill is a huge factor, obviously. My friend is really good, and has been really good at each character he's played. The thing is, he abandons his mains when I learn how to overcome them... Wolf was his secret weapon, a weapon that no longer devastates like it did at first. I can beat him with many of my mains, especially Falco. He's a real good Wolf, he's just a poor sport, or so it seems, which explains the abandonment of his mains. When we play it's VERY competitive...

How cheap I agree with your friend on chain grabbing use it as a last resort. I don't chain grab at all and I'm a pretty good Falco. Chain grabbing is aggrivating and I don't use it. Oh your poor "friend".
I'm sorry that you agree, but I play to win. I'll use any tactic at my disposal that will give me the upper hand. For you to avoid chain-grabbing is simply your loss. It's not using Falco to his maximum.

If you want to win tournaments as Falco, I suggest you chaingrab.
Exactly

i chaingrab my friends that are good at brawl, but i dont bother with my other friends. it will only piss them off and delude them from playing the game more.

but i actually have a hard time against wolf. my friends really good with him, if it wasnt for chaingrab i wouldnt win matches against him
Yeah, as of right now, I've only played my friends who are good at the game. I'm not saying the rest are terrible, it's just, they aren't as hard core smash as we are. They grow discouraged easily, so I'd hate to make them dislike the game. Don't get me wrong, I plan on chain-grabbing... but still... I hope they don't whine.

When I first got the game I played against my friends and played Dedede. I used his chaingrab, and my friend went on to say something like "that's cheap... looks like you found a way to be gay at this game... at least in Melee you had skill." My friends acted like what little they've seen of my game play showed that I was "cheap." Unfortunately, they've yet to see my Ice Climbers, they don't even know what cheap is.. :p

If it was two players of equal skill it would most likely be a very close match. I wouldn't say Falco has any advantage over Wolf other than the chaingrab, so this is a very skill-based matchup.
Yeah, aside from the chaingrab, there's no other clearcut definitive example of why Falco is better. Let's say my friend and I are near equal skill, I win. The chaingrab definately helps...

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
I can sincerely relate to this. Falco's chainthrowing was a primary tool I used at a local tourny I won a few weeks back. The finals were me and Kyd (a very good Wolf), and usually we are near equal in performance. Sadly, the matchup broke the equivalence present and I easily beasted with that chainthrow. I felt pretty guilty for doing it, not so much as when I saw the money afterwards, but still...

Fox, Wolf, Snake, and alot of other prominent characters are chainthrow bait. What can you do, NOT use it?

It isn't bannable due to it being escapable at higher percents. It isn't infinite (save for a wall), it eventually stops when you reach the ledge, some characters can recover from the spike, and furthermore some characters cannot be chainthrown at all.

But for the most part, I've decided now that in friendlies I'll rely on Dthrow -> Dair -> Grab rather than the chainspike. I don't like seeing my friends who try their best to beat me fail and lose confidence because I happened to grab them.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Okay... let's see... Here's a few reasons why Falco is good against Wolf.

•His shine halts Wolf's spammage, not to mention his shine hinders approaches and is overall annoying for the enemy to deal with.
True

•Wolf can be chain-grabbed till about 60% or so... That's a HUGE plus.
Really? I must test this

•His gun is effective if used as a surprise, SHDL can halt aerial approaches.
True

•His gun shoots further (across the entire map)
Common knowledge but yea

•If you're spamming your laser, and you hit Wolf, usually the spamming lasers can hit Wolf afew times before he can get his shine up. This seems to be because of Wolf's slower starting shine animation...
Actually, that is more a player error in reaction rather than a slow start up for his shine

•Falco is also one of few characters in the game to be able to cancel their dash attack animation and immediately follow up with a Usmash. This is great for racking up damage...
True
I agree with everything but as I've said before, Wolf and Falco match ups require knowing the strengths and weaknesses of both in order to prevail. They are pretty even and even know, its still too early to see which is better than the other.

What you've stated is true, but that alone does not prove superiority. What you have done is just explained some of Falco's capabilities but you have not fully explained how they can be used against Wolf that would give you an edge every Falco-Wolf match up.

Mr.Trite

Smash Apprentice
Wow you CG your friends? I wouldn't like being your friend then >: (

Its one of the most irritating things to experience =\ In a tournament, I'm all for it but not in casual matches.

Also Wolf's shine being slow isn't an issue really since he is actually INVINCIBLE during his shine start up from the instant you press B until the shine's hitbox comes out.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Not fun... cg

Anyways, my Falco beats my friend's wolf, and he 2 is a bad sport (in FFA 4p, he thinks I always target him when I throw a few projectiles). Of course, it's a coincidence that these "party poopers" pick Wolf, since Wolf doesn't quite "play by the rules" either (his landmaster and Wolfen are Fox/falco's on steroids).

BEES

Smash Lord
His landmaster doesn't last as long. You kill someone, but can't kill them again after they respawn. With Falco's taking two stocks off one person is possible.

I would note that Wolf doesn't really need to dash into u-smash. His normal dash attack kicks people up already.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
His landmaster doesn't last as long. You kill someone, but can't kill them again after they respawn. With Falco's taking two stocks off one person is possible.
Very possible and easily accomplished. Falco's Landmaster easily kills off the top, and can again after the respawn even when they have invincibility frames. If they drop off the spawn platform, you follow, hover, gg. They stay on it and you've got them.

BEES

Smash Lord
What's worse is that with his high jumps and the unlimited range on his blaster, it is easier to actually GET the smash ball with Falco.

Top Bottom