• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Shine-Waveland Platform Combos

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
I have seen this used in tournament a bunch and was wondering about a couple of things. First I wanted to make sure I understood the mechanics. I believe it requires you to jump, shine when you pass through the patform so you "snap" to it, then WD out of it to cancel the shine. Is that correct? Also I was wondering if there was any other things about it I should know like percents it works at, tips for practicing it, or anything that might be useful. I realize I packed a lot into that question so any info at all would be useful! Thanks!

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I have seen this used in tournament a bunch and was wondering about a couple of things. First I wanted to make sure I understood the mechanics. I believe it requires you to jump, shine when you pass through the patform so you "snap" to it, then WD out of it to cancel the shine. Is that correct? Also I was wondering if there was any other things about it I should know like percents it works at, tips for practicing it, or anything that might be useful. I realize I packed a lot into that question so any info at all would be useful! Thanks!
U wont "snap" to the platform, your wavedash has to be timed so it causes you to land on the plat. Start by just jumping to the top plat, but shining halfway up, then jump out and wd straight down onto the top platform. That is all there is to the mechanics of shine to wavelanding.

Wding down will be easy of course, as long as you are above the plat you should hit it, the tricky part is getting smooth wavelands in a direction (done by airdodging on an angle instead of down). The more horizontal you angle the airdodge and the closer to the platform you can time it, the smoother it will be. The lower the platform the faster all this has to be done, but the worst thing you can do is just to do it as fast as u can in practice. Its all musle memory to do it faster. Just focus on each part.

If u are doing the wavelands smooth enough, you shouldnt here falco go "HuH" when u airdodge.

Also, like half the threads posted, this has been asked a bajillion times. Unless you are asking something very uniqe, u can use the search bar to find the previous responses.

Last edited:

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
With very precise timing, you CAN make it so that you "snap" to the platform, but you will almost exclusively use what C-SAF describes since even if you mess it up a bit there's a good chance you can continue you combo, and you have more freedom with it since you could, say, shine someone at the height of the lower platforms while you're underneath the middle one, then jump and waveland onto the top one.

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
U wont "snap" to the platform, your wavedash has to be timed so it causes you to land on the plat. Start by just jumping to the top plat, but shining halfway up, then jump out and wd straight down onto the top platform. That is all there is to the mechanics of shine to wavelanding.

Wding down will be easy of course, as long as you are above the plat you should hit it, the tricky part is getting smooth wavelands in a direction (done by airdodging on an angle instead of down). The more horizontal you angle the airdodge and the closer to the platform you can time it, the smoother it will be. The lower the platform the faster all this has to be done, but the worst thing you can do is just to do it as fast as u can in practice. Its all musle memory to do it faster. Just focus on each part.

If u are doing the wavelands smooth enough, you shouldnt here falco go "HuH" when u airdodge.

Also, like half the threads posted, this has been asked a bajillion times. Unless you are asking something very uniqe, u can use the search bar to find the previous responses.
I may have worded it a bit differently from how I meant it. Just to clarify, at 9:50 on this clip when PP shines, the shine starts on the platform and it is the shine that "snaps" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEsp996TGak . As opposed to something like this where the shine happens below the platform which I believe is what you are describing ( at 3:15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWEEoqvjoqk ). I had tried searching for it but couldn't find a distinction between these two and wanted to know where each is best used. So yeah, i didn't just randomly ask w/o looking first.

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
Doing the shine below the platform (so no snap) will give you a bigger frame advantage because you skip the jumpsquat frames by JCing the shine in the air

Barry BlaZe

Smash Cadet
With very precise timing, you CAN make it so that you "snap" to the platform, but you will almost exclusively use what C-SAF describes since even if you mess it up a bit there's a good chance you can continue you combo, and you have more freedom with it since you could, say, shine someone at the height of the lower platforms while you're underneath the middle one, then jump and waveland onto the top one.
What you are referring to can be called "shine landing".

When you shine at a certain height above the platform, you distort your ECB (Environmental Collision Box : basically three triangles in the game that lets it know where ur character is). You shine at these certain heights u instantly become grounded on the platform and skip the waveland frames. You can even immediately jc grab when done properly. These are the small optimizations falcos havnt really made in their combo game yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom