• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Neutral Game Help?

JTimps

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thesuperguide
3DS FC
4468-0969-2266
Hello I fairly new to competitive play and don't have many people to play with. I recently when to a tournament and thought my combo game was good but my neutral game was lacking. I was wondering how would i practice my movement and neutral game stuff by myself?

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
Download the 20XX Hack Pack.
Somewhat this

Use the AI to practice things like shield pressure and OoS options. Start a match alone to practice movement and some laser stuff.

As for other aspects of the neutral game, watch videos of Falcos and see what they do. Understand why they did it and why it worked/didn't work. Take the good stuff and make the effort to consciously incorporate it into your play until it becomes second nature. That's the hardest part.

JTimps

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thesuperguide
3DS FC
4468-0969-2266
Somewhat this

Use the AI to practice things like shield pressure and OoS options. Start a match alone to practice movement and some laser stuff.

As for other aspects of the neutral game, watch videos of Falcos and see what they do. Understand why they did it and why it worked/didn't work. Take the good stuff and make the effort to consciously incorporate it into your play until it becomes second nature. That's the hardest part.
Ok thanks for the help

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
What will 20XX teach you about neutral game? I thought it mostly helped with pressure and punishes.
I think the most important parts about the Falco neutral game is being super clean with wavedashes and being able to reliably vary laser height. If you can shoot low enough to hit a dashing Sheik or Marth, they can't run in on you when they see you jump and if you can shoot high quickly, Fox, Jiggs, and Falcon are going to have a tough time approaching.

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
How does one get a copy of 20XX... do i need to download it on the wii or is it a gamecube hack... also how is it helpful to my competitive game. what does it teach you.

_A1

Smash Apprentice
Don't just throw lasers out just because. The best Falcos don't shoot at every opportunity.

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
Don't just throw lasers out just because. The best Falcos don't shoot at every opportunity.
Yeah you basically want to use lasers to interrupt your opponents attacks and movements given falco the opportunity to capitalize on them being vulnerable. The only characters you'd really "Spam Lasers" against are Captain Falcon and Ganon because they are very easily laser trapped.

The whole point though is not to spam lasers to keep opponents away or to rack up percent, but to be close enough to follow up on your lasers.

Learn spacing and know what each character can do after you hit them with your lasers. Also remember that an opponent expecting lasers can power shield, roll (if your camping), jump, etc. SO DONT BE PREDICTABLE WITH YOUR LASERING.

2Fox

Smash Rookie
Been watching a ton of Falco videos to learn the neutral (shoutouts to PPMD!). It's really hard to discern the reasons for certain actions though. For instance, Falco's nair. It is often used as an approach, along with other moves of course like nair-shine, etc. But obviously approaching with nairs all the time isn't a great strategy. Did he use a nair because the spacing was right at that moment? Was it a mixup? Was he hard-reading an aerial from the opponent that would lose to a nair?

I also think that neutral has a lot to do with the matchup. As a character, Falco has a lot of good options. Shooting lasers and threatening a large range with DD and aerials can be moderately effective against many characters and players, but I really need help uncovering the nuances of how to beat great players. How to choose not just a decent option but the best option. How to know when to be aggressive, when to stay aggressive, and when to back off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom