• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco keeps every other top/high tier viable

red stone

Smash Ace
What I am about to say, I have thought for years and it keeps getting more true every day.

20XX is a school of thought that says only fox is a viable tourney character for winning a major tourney.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I believe Falco is a solid 50/50 matchup for fox and will continue to be so no matter how good humans get.

Because falco can compete with fox on an even playing field, 20XX will not happen. There is no other character that can go against fox. Mark my words, if you are playing with the best fox in the world, you are playing a losing matchup no matter what character you play unless it is falco (except for marth on FD).

Now onto falco. I think there are many characters that can hang with falco. I think marth can be even or better against falco on certain stages. Peach is a 50/50 matchup for falco. Jigglypuff slight loses to falco but still viable.

Now that marth and peach players are on the table, this makes sheik viable. sheik can go toe to toe with marth and peach. sheik however, loses to falco and fox dearly. You may not think it is not that bad but trust me, at the highest levels, sheik loses to the spacies, not by much but still substantial.

Falcon is viable against jigglypuff, and peach on yoshi's story only. Do not EVER choose falcon for another stage (unless you feel comfortable with the platforms on fountain of dreams). Falcon loses to marth on most stages.

Ice climbers are not good. All gimmicks.
Luigi is good against falco.....but not good enough to win
Pikachu loses to both spacies as well as other high tiers.
Young link loses to jigglypuff easily

So there you have it. Barring gimmicks (that shouldn't even work that well), the meta game should have fox, falco, peach, marth, jigglypuff, and sheik vying for 1st place tournament placings. Captain falcon can come in sometimes. Otherwise, the rest of the cast will never get to that 1st place level.

This is all thanks to falco opening the flood gates because of how easy it is to combo him and also his crappy recovery. Thanks falco for being so good against fox but still sucking enough for other characters to beat you.

And thanks to Fox's technical demands, whenever he makes a mistake, he'll get hurt. Mistakes can happen very easily for him

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
So, that's some interesting logic that I don't quite understand but I love the bird so uh, go Falco I guess.

More importantly, just because Fox has the better matchups doesn't mean that Fox will always win. At Evo we saw Hbox beat both Mango and Leffen in a very one sided match up that they are both good at. We also saw Plup beat Mango and Leffen with Sheik and Samus. Fox is not as unstoppable as you make him out to seem.

Top Bottom