• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

falco is a girlie man

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Ok, so i've learned to realize or it seems to me when playing falco on FD it can be a very hard match for falcon due to no platforms to escape from falcos shl. it seems to me that falco honestly is a much harder character to fight than fox, but that might just be my personal opinion.

And i've watched vids for help and such and i realize that tech chasing is one of the greatest things that falcon has on falco/fox, and i do it and all but it seems that right when a falco/fox techs he can dodge right before i dair, grab, or raptor boost. whether i'm going to slow or if i'm doing something wrong idk. Thats why i'm posting in here so if you can give me tips on things to really use and abuse against falco that'd be great.

PLZ no noobs post in this, no hate towards you but i'd like to hear it from those that have personal experience.

PS. is falco more favorable than fox in this matchup?

Vall3y

Smash Lord
if you dont have insane fast reaction time, the tech chasing is done by predicting their techs.
that is - you throw, and you go dair\fair them in the place you think they'll tech to. if you wait to see where they tech first, and dont react fast enough, they can easly shield\sidestep\whatever.
if you DO guess the tech right but still couldn't hit them, then its a problem of timing you should work on and solve easly.
tech chasing with grabs though is easier to do with reaction. im not completly sure, but its probably easier because you can grab them if they shield right after, and it takes less time to perform than dair\fair, so you can start it later and still connect.
i like tech chasing with grabs when im not sure about the teching habits, or want to try this trick: since some people sidestep right after they finished teching to avoid the suspected grab, you can use this knowledge to hit them out of it. so you throw, follow the tech as if you are going to grab them , and then shffl a dair right as they sidestep so it should hit.

audreyh

Smash Ace
In my opinion, i think falcon does better against falco on FD than on other platform stages. Here's a trick that made my matchup for falco so much easier: shield the lasers, jump out of shield sh nair as falco is approaching. (of course watch out if the falco is already doing an nair or dair since it has more priority than your nair) watch jiano and darkrain do it constantly.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
thanks i appreciate it, my friend usually techs the same, if he even does tech it'll be a regular tech or he'll miss the tech on purpose, but react fast enough where he gets up from the ground and attacks, and even if i do predict it he'll dodge then either grab or shine.

is there anything i can do about this?

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Are you standing still after you throw them? Try dashdancing after you throw. Odds are pretty good they'll tech away from wherever you are, but Falcon is fast enough that you can easily catch up and JC grab them.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Use both uthrow and dthrow. After alot of uthrow I like to sneak in a dthrow and shuffle a fair incase they miss the tech and DD after the throw to keep them guessing. Also instead of going to where they tech I'll run away then hit down to stop the run, dash back to grab.

If he's able to react fast enough as you say, it might just be your timing. I do believe there is a small window after techs and sidesteps where they can be hit but are immobile.

I'd say falco is harder matchup but I don't play good foxes to really know about that match up(I'm the best fox in my group of people I play, the others can't even waveshine). Although I need to implement audreyh's advice, it might make it easier.

edit.

try the spectre drop zone if you can. Dthrow off the edge-> slide off into knee.
Can't really do that well myself so I kinda tweaked it by: Dthrow off the edge-> sh off the stage and knee, usually they will either OverB or double jump into it. After doing that alot they will most likely drop down and recover with upB and then I just shuffle Stomps at the edge until he fails a meteor cancel.

Vethrian

Smash Rookie
I agree that Falco is harder to fight then Fox. I believe that tech chasing is all about reaction time and predictability and not actual seeing where they tech, like others have said. If you're going to tech chase with throws then I recommend the dthrow's. In my opinion, it's alot easier to tech chase and get a combo started with a dthrow then a uthrow.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Falco is easier to kill than Fox, however. Your biggest things in this matchup are reading tech patterns and landing that knee at 40%, sometimes even lower, and this should result in a KO. Eliciting missed techs from mid-level players and below it key as well, and that's why the nair is so good.

BoomStick

Smash Journeyman
Another thing to keep in mind while playing him, is how easily he combos fast fallers, and exploits rolling behind him (fsmash) You really have to keep your mind on how you're DI-ing while you're in his shine combos, as well as making sure you tech EVERY time you hit the ground. Otherwise the combo resets, and You don't want that.

I'd advise tech-chasing with grabs until mid-high damage, and then you're going to want to get a stomp in, so you get the free fair afterwards, Falco is one of the most challenging fights for c.falcon, but keep in mind, while he HAS projectile, you are a projectile, keep moving best you can, and remember that your friend can't spot-dodge Nairs

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
if your opponent consistantly spot dodges when you try to grab him, then up smash next time. he'll spot dodge the first hit, then eat the second one in the face. and BELIEVE ME falco does not like to get hit by falcon's up smash, because it loads on the %, and almost guarentees a knee. if you find him spot dodging even the second hit, then charge the smash for a milisecond.

however, dont make the mistake of doing this too often. grab too, sometimes, and stomp. if you do all 3 of these, then there is no way he'll be able to stop you every time.

also one of my biggest weapons against falco and fox is my downthrow and run forward right away. when they see you charging forward, they will very often teach either in place or behind you. AS SOON as you get past the spot where they land, forward B in the opposite direction, thus hitting him if he 1) techs in place 2) doesnt tech or 3) techs behind you. the only way to escape a perfectly timed forward B is teching away, and if you can get a person to tech away a lot, they will be extremely subject to an isai stomp, which IMO is the number 1 setup to a tapion combo.
and if there's one thing that will distress someone and mess up their game, it is getting falcon punched >=]

punisher47

Smash Journeyman
thanks i appreciate it, my friend usually techs the same, if he even does tech it'll be a regular tech or he'll miss the tech on purpose, but react fast enough where he gets up from the ground and attacks, and even if i do predict it he'll dodge then either grab or shine.

is there anything i can do about this?

well what vally said was very good so work on that. but since you seem to know your friend well enough to know how he techs and how he misses his techs just wait for him a little and dont get close enough for him to hit you or shine you and then as soon as he trys that then go in for a grab etc. it should work well if you keep switching it up but it seems to me you need to be a bit fasters so just keep working on it and watch more vids.

Top Bottom