• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco for a noob

KatanaStrife

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlueLightningWlf
Hey, title says it all, I'm a noob, but I know quite a bit about falco, I know a lot of the basics but I can't seem to do multi shining and I usually always get grabbed out of my SHFFLed aerials, so basically I need tips on ultishing and mixing up my approach.

Thor

Smash Champion
KatanaStrife said:
Hey, title says it all, I'm a noob, but I know quite a bit about falco, I know a lot of the basics but I can't seem to do multi shining and I usually always get grabbed out of my SHFFLed aerials, so basically I need tips on ultishing and mixing up my approach.
Lasers.

Short hop Lasers are AWESOME, even in PM (with distance decay) - sending opponents into hit [or shield]stun is a great thing (powershielding happens - beware it, but don't let it stop you from using one of Falco's best tools). And if your opponent is airborne, it can lead to fsmash rather smoothly, for damage or (more practically) KOs. You can also do laser -> shine grab if you're close enough, or laser -> SHFFL something.

Although I think you know, shining after a SHFFL'd aerial hits shield is almost always the best option, because it's frame 1 (so least vulnerability) and you can shinegrab from it, as I'll explain in a bit (though just grabbing after is good too).

Shinegrabs are a good thing to have in your toolkit too - if you shine a shield, you may want to do a SHFFL'd aerial, but Falco's shield pressure has holes based on how you fire your aerials out - if you do an aerial on shield and shine again (or even just shine their shield), grabbing them out of shine lets you get more damage through and also possibly conditions them to spotdodge or roll away from shielding a shine which is good because you can wavestall or wavedash and follow up if you see the dodge right away. It also means (at least if they roll away) they've moved from punishing shine to avoiding it, and anything your opponent is more worried about purely avoiding than dodging and punishing is very valuable.

If you're going to SHFFL aerials, make sure you're A) L-cancelling them and B) mixing up high-low shield hits and front-behind landings. If you SHFFL a nair high, it may be a good idea to try to land behind them - if they immediately shieldgrab and miss, they're wide-open for a shine, fsmash, or bair (fsmash may be too slow, the others shouldn't be). If you don't launch the nair right away, but low to the ground [and still hit the L-cancel] you make it much harder for them to grab or OoS attack before a shine that will let you either jump out to (relative - out of grab range) safety or grab them (those shine grabs).

Best SHFFL'd aerial is probably nair, dair is good too but less range, if you RAR a SHFFL'd bair you get even more range and may surprise opponents. Don't SHFFL fair for somewhat obvious reasons (most laggy aerial and it's not as strong as other options). I think uair is also a mediocre choice.

You can also approach with full-hops - not a good idea to do often, but if you condition the opponent to expect a dair as you land, you can actually manage to fullhop tomahawk and grab them (this sounds crazy but I tend to fullhop unintentionally so I use it to my advantage - my own techskill breakdowns sometimes net me a kill based on my previous errors XD)

No idea about multi-shining, ask others.

I'm not great at Falco by any stretch, but I hope some of this gives you some ideas to work with.

Last edited:

KatanaStrife

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlueLightningWlf
Lasers.

Short hop Lasers are AWESOME, even in PM (with distance decay) - sending opponents into hit [or shield]stun is a great thing (powershielding happens - beware it, but don't let it stop you from using one of Falco's best tools). And if your opponent is airborne, it can lead to fsmash rather smoothly, for damage or (more practically) KOs. You can also do laser -> shine grab if you're close enough, or laser -> SHFFL something.

Although I think you know, shining after a SHFFL'd aerial hits shield is almost always the best option, because it's frame 1 (so least vulnerability) and you can shinegrab from it, as I'll explain in a bit (though just grabbing after is good too).

Shinegrabs are a good thing to have in your toolkit too - if you shine a shield, you may want to do a SHFFL'd aerial, but Falco's shield pressure has holes based on how you fire your aerials out - if you do an aerial on shield and shine again (or even just shine their shield), grabbing them out of shine lets you get more damage through and also possibly conditions them to spotdodge or roll away from shielding a shine which is good because you can wavestall or wavedash and follow up if you see the dodge right away. It also means (at least if they roll away) they've moved from punishing shine to avoiding it, and anything your opponent is more worried about purely avoiding than dodging and punishing is very valuable.

If you're going to SHFFL aerials, make sure you're A) L-cancelling them and B) mixing up high-low shield hits and front-behind landings. If you SHFFL a nair high, it may be a good idea to try to land behind them - if they immediately shieldgrab and miss, they're wide-open for a shine, fsmash, or bair (fsmash may be too slow, the others shouldn't be). If you don't launch the nair right away, but low to the ground [and still hit the L-cancel] you make it much harder for them to grab or OoS attack before a shine that will let you either jump out to (relative - out of grab range) safety or grab them (those shine grabs).

Best SHFFL'd aerial is probably nair, dair is good too but less range, if you RAR a SHFFL'd bair you get even more range and may surprise opponents. Don't SHFFL fair for somewhat obvious reasons (most laggy aerial and it's not as strong as other options). I think uair is also a mediocre choice.

You can also approach with full-hops - not a good idea to do often, but if you condition the opponent to expect a dair as you land, you can actually manage to fullhop tomahawk and grab them (this sounds crazy but I tend to fullhop unintentionally so I use it to my advantage - my own techskill breakdowns sometimes net me a kill based on my previous errors XD)

No idea about multi-shining, ask others.

I'm not great at Falco by any stretch, but I hope some of this gives you some ideas to work with.
This actually helped me a lot, because I actually have a bad habit of accidentally fullhopping, or spamming short hop dairs, thanks again for the advice, and I almost forgot shinegrabbng existed, but it's going to be something im going to have to practice, jump-cancel grabbing out of shine looks easier than it is.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Multishines are hard to get down but I put my thumb inbetween Y and B and quickly go back and forth:

Multishine Tutorial Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAMoJ8ZpvjE

My Favorite approach is SHFFL laser to JC-grab - Up throw - Dair
or
I just SHFFL A LOT

Last edited:

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
One problem i have with Falco is following up with a dair once I've gotten my opponent airborne. Either I full hop and get too short of hitting or double jump and end up above them. I would think double jumping is a better move because I would have a chance of catching up with them by fast falling, but I'm honestly not certain of anything when it comes to pillaring.

KatanaStrife

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlueLightningWlf
One problem i have with Falco is following up with a dair once I've gotten my opponent airborne. Either I full hop and get too short of hitting or double jump and end up above them. I would think double jumping is a better move because I would have a chance of catching up with them by fast falling, but I'm honestly not certain of anything when it comes to pillaring.
I definetly feel you on that, I have a problem with fullhopping during a good pillar, and sometimes accidentally double jump, I really need to focus on having a really fast reaction out of a pillar, so I could go to pillar>Nair/Bair

Top Bottom