• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Dash Attack

Riqbic

Smash Rookie
First off I am quite new, I have been practicing for about 2-3 months, pretty much exclusively Falco.

Is Falco's dash attack worth while? I find myself using it quite often to extend a low combo or if someone misses a tech, it leads really well into a dair or shine. Should I just replace all of these with SHFFL nairs? They feel fine and useful to me but I don't really see any competitive players using it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Apologies if a similar thread already exists somewhere, I did a search on Smashboards and nothing came up.

Last edited:

PepaCorn

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't use it too often, if you are getting dair/shine follow ups it's because your opponent isn't DI'ing right,
SHFFL nair is just better

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
First off I am quite new, I have been practicing for about 2-3 months, pretty much exclusively Falco.

Is Falco's dash attack worth while? I find myself using it quite often to extend a low combo or if someone misses a tech, it leads really well into a dair or shine. Should I just replace all of these with SHFFL nairs? They feel fine and useful to me but I don't really see any competitive players using it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Apologies if a similar thread already exists somewhere, I did a search on Smashboards and nothing came up.
At higher percents (like 70% and up) dash attack can be useful. Its use is very character dependant though. U never want to get cc'd when u dash attack someone b/c it will lead to death against good players. Most good players are always ccing either with the c-stick or control stick, so its not even a mixup either.

As for characters its useful against, its best to see how high of a percent they can cc to. The better they are at ccing, the less dash attack is useful. The only other instance dash attack can be used is if u now they will be in the air when u hit them. In the marth matchup I will sometimes dash attack under his nair if he does it high and I can catch the hurtbox on his feet.

PepaCorn PepaCorn Nair can also be cc'd to very high percents, so nairing in its place is not very useful. Dair is ur best move to beat cc or u have to shine them. Dair is also a better combo starter.

Last edited:

Riqbic

Smash Rookie
At higher percents (like 70% and up) dash attack can be useful. Its use is very character dependant though. U never want to get cc'd when u dash attack someone b/c it will lead to death against good players. Most good players are always ccing either with the c-stick or control stick, so its not even a mixup either.

As for characters its useful against, its best to see how high of a percent they can cc to. The better they are at ccing, the less dash attack is useful. The only other instance dash attack can be used is if u now they will be in the air when u hit them. In the marth matchup I will sometimes dash attack under his nair if he does it high and I can catch the hurtbox on his feet.

PepaCorn PepaCorn Nair can also be cc'd to very high percents, so nairing in its place is not very useful. Dair is ur best move to beat cc or u have to shine them. Dair is also a better combo starter.
Huh that's interesting, my practice buddy is a Marth main so maybe that's why I developed the habit. Thanks for the help.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Dash attack is a good follow up. Gives you plenty of things, especially on midwheights like marth/shiek. Worry about changing tactics / mixing it up once you start getting punished for it.

Of course nair is a great combo move too, and obviously you can use it in the air and has significanly less lag as dash attack.

You can also start experimenting with reverse bair. Very juicy launcher as well !

Falco's combo potential is extraordinary. If a move keeps getting you follow-ups, why stop using it ? Trying new stuff is obviously key to stepping up your game, so keep watching good falcos and pick-up things you see them do.
There's no better way.

Riqbic

Smash Rookie
Yeah I guess I should specify that it's never an approach, I really just use it as a followup. Thanks everyone for the help just wanted to make sure I wasn't creating a bad habit.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
First and foremost, dash attack is NOT by any means an approach. In mid-high %s, depending on who you're fighting, it's extremely useful for extending some combos and for tech-chasing due to it's relatively low knockback. If, for example, I have my brothers' Sheik a bit above 100%, I'm more likely to go for a dash attack -> bair because followups from utilt feel a bit sketchy. This is assuming, mind you, that he's already in a bad position and/or being comboed. Fox and Falco are extremely similar in the sense that their combo potential is through the roof.

spk416

Smash Rookie
Dash attack is good vs floaties for extending combos that can lead to dair or bair. Loses to crouch cancel so use it sparingly
Sometimes I like to dash attack past them into u-tilt. But this only works if they whiff a shield grab so it only works against noobs.

Last edited:

SavantGardener

Smash Rookie
If you're playing someone who isn't too keen on crouch cancelling, dash attack can easily extend a combo if timed right (usually sets up for an up tilt or at least a dair depending on their DI).

Last edited:
Top Bottom