• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fair autocancel troubles

IckyCafe

Smash Rookie
I am relatively new to the game (playing about 1 year now) and decided to main Sheik a little while ago. I can do basics and what not but for some reason I'm having trouble with the autocancel on the shffl fair. I practice this on FD against a lvl 1 fox and just repeatedly shffl fair trying to practice for shffl fair into JC grab at low percents, but almost everytime I fair I end up in recovery lag. This isn't too bad of a problem so I just threw in an L-cancel there. But I found out that the more damage I rack up on Fox, the more hit lag there is to the fair, messing up my l-cancel and usually leaving me in shield. Also, on the rare occasion that I do pull off an autocanceled fair, I just end up in shield because of the L-cancel soon to follow. Any advice????

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Getting the AC fair really just takes practice unfortunately. Someone may be able to give you the exact height to fair to get the AC, but I'd just practice it. As for the shield coming up on a successful AC, just hit R (or L) and release it really fast. That's something I've just had to get used to.

Sorry, no workarounds from me :/

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
You can't L-cancel and autocancel at the same time. An autocancel occurs when you land at a certain point at the beginning or end of an aerial (it varies; Sheik's fair will autocancel if you land before frame 4 or after frame 11), which gives you the same the amount of lag you get when landing from an empty jump (4 frames for almost all characters, including Sheik) instead of the attack's normal landing lag. To autocancel fair, execute the fair early in the jump and don't fastfall.

Hitlag doesn't vary with damage.

If you're shielding after your L-cancel then you're holding shield for too long, or inputting it far too late.

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
You can deffinatly Fast Fall an AC Fair.
Just input the Fair shortly after reaching the apex of your SH and you'll be fine.
Play around in 20XX with flash red on failed Lcancel. Set it to slow motion like 1/2 or even 1/4'th speed to find the latest timing it's possible and then try and do it real time.
Lmk if you need further tips

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
Or if no 20XX, in regards just to AC fair, you'll see your "landing floor effect" when u land, either showing white smokey dust meaning you didn't AC or white pointy spikes (with a little dust), meaning your AC was successful.

As far as you feeling your L-cancel & AC timings sway off, I think you are actually noticing something, it's just not percentage based. You might be noticing the timing's alter & vary when you A.)hit them or B.)hit their shield. Which it is actually true you'll need to do completely different timings for LC depending on whether your hit will hit their shield or no shield.

This is the solution proposed by a Kadano video but I forgot which: Since you need to input L within the 7 frames before you land to succeed L-canceling, & since L/R has a downtime where u can't press L/R again (i forgot the numbers), you have to press L twice while coming down with your attack. I think it was 5 frames apart, at very least pretty quick. From my experience it has been: press L 1st before "hitting", since u don't kno if their shield will be out or not, then pressing L a 2nd time half way before reaching the ground. This usually covers your L-cancel differences with hitstun from hitting shield to hitting a person, sealing your L-cancel regardless.

Doing this will cover your L-cancels IN CASE you don't auto cancel in BOTH hitlag scenarios (hitting a shield or person). & It will also DO NOTHING if you autocancel (optimal). It literally covers your AC, LC, & hitlag problems in one swoop. But you pros already knew that & this is so 2000 & late that I'm sharing. Wrong. You pros were so proud you didn't even read into his problem right. You're welcome. Er, i mean thank Kadano.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Which it is actually true you'll need to do completely different timings for LC depending on whether your hit will hit their shield or no shield.
Attacker hitlag (and therefore L-cancel timing) is the same on shield and on hit. The only time hitlag differs between hitting a shield and hitting a hurtbubble is with electric element hitbubbles, since they don't undergo the 1.5x defender hitlag multiplier on shield like they do on hit; even then, that only applies to the opponent, so your L-cancel timing is the same regardless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom