• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

F-Zero Pit Stop F zero X speed technique help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_Uk

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering can anyone explain to me how to pull off the 'banging into the sides to get rediculous speed' technique in F zero X. Sorry if i'm being noobish, but this is the first time i've ventured outside of the SSB64 forum. I've spent plenty of time trying to work it out and can't find any information on the net, (from what I can remember; havn't looked for ages.) I gathered someone here might know.....?

Zurad

Smash Cadet
Are you talking about railsliding?

you need to be on full acceleration and driving into it at an angle to work. I don't remember the exact angle, somewhere around the 45 degree mark, but it also depends on turns and whatnot

it feels weird at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to rail slide rather easily

You can also use boost + railslide to gain higher speeds, but it seems more situational, and you lose alot more energy that way

There really aren't alot of resources for time attacking F-zero outthere. It used to be a big scene (obviously, if smashboards has sub section here for a board) but it's pretty much dead. Even Mrfixit is very inactive : /

Dave_Uk

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it's a shame. I always thought about time attacking it, and indeed have spent alot of time playin the game and improving my times, (not any time recently tho,) and thought I was actually pretty good until I looked about online and LOL **** was I wrong. The video on speed demo archives for example of whiteland 2 is just like :dizzy: WTF how the hell did he manage that.
As for the rail sliding thing, you mean full accelaration as letting go of the accelarator for like half a second or so and then quickly pressing it again just before you hit the rail at this 45 degreeish angle?

Zurad

Smash Cadet
Yeah, PiccoloCube is quite amazing. Definetly the best F-zero X player out there. If you want to see more crazy vids, check out his youtube account. He has the F-zero X expansion kit, so he's made a lot of really crazy custom courses and flies right through those!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=PiccoloCube

About rail sliding. I should of clarified, sorry about that. When it comes to setting your vehicle to either Max Speed or Acceleration (the screen with the bar before the race) you want to make sure your settings are all the way to the left, on Acceleration. So there's no need to let go of the accelerator right before you hit the rail, just drive right into it.

Dave_Uk

Smash Apprentice
kool kool. Well it's gonna be around a week and a half before I get back home and can give it a go. But if I have any issues about it i'll be back here to seek further assistance. Doesn't sound too difficult tho. Are there any other speed techniques in the game? I know about utilizing drifting around corners and whilst aerial double tapping R or Z to swing out to the sides to stay in the air as long as poss. in jumps.

Zurad

Smash Cadet
My aerial game is weak. Very weak. I really dont know anything about, so I generally avoid courses that call for it.

You can use the side attack (double tapping R or Z as you put it) on the ground though. You can use side attacks continously to make turns that are too sharp to drift through without losing much speed.

I think a really good course to practice all the speed techniques is Silence 2. At the very beginning, you can railslide a bit to gain some speed. Then comes the fun drifting part (huge spiraling turn). When you get out of the drift you should have quite some speed (At least 1200, but I'm sure you can get much more out of the drift if done correctly), but up ahead are some really really sharp turns. So what do you do? Side attack through them! The last test, space flying, is at the wavy bumpy road near the finish line. You can get some air off the top of a bump, *insert crazy insane spaceflying skills of the master here*, and land in front of the finish line, with a ton of speed, ready to drift that huge spiral turn again on lap 2. Otherwise, just drift that final turn, but feel bad while you do it, for you have not mastered the awesomeness of space flying!!! (I wish I could space fly...)

I still don't really have this course down, as my time is still a whopping 13 seconds off of the world record, but it has certainly helped me to get railslide, drifting, and side attacking turns down.

I think you can safely assume you're getting the hang of it when you get around 1:20, and that you've mastered it like PiccoloCube if you get around 1:10

hope that helps

oh yeah, and if you have ANY tips for aerial, please let me know, because I just don't get it at all...

Dave_Uk

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'm fine with side attacking (sorry for the lack of vocab. in my previous post, I havn't played the game in quite a while and now am just starting to get back into it) round sharp turns and the likes, it was just the rail sliding that I couldn't work out on my own. As for aerial techniques, all I do when in the air is side attack or pull back (depending on how far I wanna travel in the air, EG/ if its a small jump then just side attack, or if you want to cut of a big chunk of the track, pull back,)and start heading out to the left or right before turning back in and nose diving for as long as poss. before pulling back again and landing. This way you arc as opposed to taking the jump straight on and therefore are in the air for longer and so have the opportunity to gain more speed. I have no idea if this is as good as it gets and you might even already do this. If I come across anything i'll let you know. I'll be getting into time attacking the game again once i'm back from uni next week, so I got the whole summer to get practicing so will see how it goes. I dont expect to be getting times anywhere near that guys anytime soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom