• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extreme Speed Hit Reversing

Triburos

Smash Cadet
Heya folks.

So I did a quick google for this tech I discovered recently, but didn't find much information on it. Which is surprising because it's pretty easy to do. So maybe I just didn't search the correct terms or whatever. Apologies if that's the case!

Anywho, the deal is simple:

Normally, when you hit an opponent with Extreme Speed, they go flying roughly in the same direction as where Lucario is flying. So say you do a clean flight to the right, straight ahead, and hit them. They'll go flying right.

However, if you wait till the very end of the flight and then press the opposite direction, they will instead go flying that way instead.

So if you are flying right and then turn around at the very end, they get 'sucked' left.

Not sure how useful it is over-all, as I havn't seen any Lucarios using it. But I have done some silly, gimmicky gimps with it by launch an opponent off stage, following them far out there, then as they recover, follow them then do the hitbox reversal. This tends to suck them right away from the edge again for a pretty funny gimp, though it can kill yah if yer not too careful.

Sadly, I cannot give you a video with decent quality as I'm a 3DS player. Edit: Well, okay. If you don't mind phone quality.

And here's a cleaner execution of it.

However, it's really not hard.

I also imagine you can quickly turn the tables on anyone waiting for Luc at the ledge if you don't make it blatantly obvious that you're not going for the edge.

I dunno. Anyone think this is useful in Luc's kit?

Last edited:

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
Cool find!
Seems useful if being edge guarded and want to turn the tables like you said or make sure the player cant wall tech to live the hit.
Also if they shield the hit you are facing them, which is nice.

Last edited:

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
Do you get the same effect holding the stick up or down?
If you mean to get some kind of spike effect, as far as i can tell sadly not. It seems to just flip the knockback left and right but not change the angle.

Last edited:

Triburos

Smash Cadet
Do you get the same effect holding the stick up or down?
Sadly not, it seems like the knockback is locked to either the left or right.

Anywho, ive been using this in For Glory, and wow. Makes trading hits with Luc's ES alot more dangerous whilst recovering.

It's also worth mentioning; yes, you can grab the ledge even if you're facing backwards at the end, it just seems harder to snap to it. Didn't show it in the clips up there, but it's defo possible.

Last edited:

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
I've been using this in tournament a lot more and it's something that you should almost always incorporate into your game play. It can instant turn momentum into your favor as the hit now becomes a mixup for the opponent.

Triburos

Smash Cadet
I've been using this in tournament a lot more and it's something that you should almost always incorporate into your game play. It can instant turn momentum into your favor as the hit now becomes a mixup for the opponent.
Oh sweet, glad to see someone actually using this.

Never seen footage of a Luc player doing it. Got any VODs or YTs of yourself by chance?

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
You also get a sweet landing lag reduction when you do this. I don't understand the mechanics behind es but when you reverse it, I notice a huge reduction in landing lag how lucario slides instead of smacking the ground with his face. I only use lucario against sheik and the less landing lag you have against her on recovery, the better!

Triburos

Smash Cadet
You also get a sweet landing lag reduction when you do this. I don't understand the mechanics behind es but when you reverse it, I notice a huge reduction in landing lag how lucario slides instead of smacking the ground with his face. I only use lucario against sheik and the less landing lag you have against her on recovery, the better!
I actually havn't noticed a decrease in landing lag with it. Are yah sure it's not just a standard Slide ending?

There's 3 ways to end an ES as far as I know; Freefall, Bounce, and Slide.

Freefall and landing gives absurd landing lag that lasts like eight years, we all know this too well.

Bounce landings involve hitting a wall or floor at a 'head-on' sorta angle, and offers less lag.

Lastly, Slide landings involve gliding into the ground at a shallower angle and gives the least lag.

Yah sure you're not just experiencing a slide landing? Because if it does give less endlag with a reversed ES, wow. Pretty neat.

Triburos

Smash Cadet
Ah, no you can do the slide out of a normal ES as well.

From what I can tell, the only difference is the direction Lucario faces at the end of ES if you reverse it. Can't say I've noticed any difference in land lag off of a slide with or without reversed ES :(

Zyflair

Smash Rookie
I tested this, and from what I can tell, you don't even need to flip control stick in the reverse direction. You could instead just press and hold the C-Stick in the opposite direction and this odd reversing also happens.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I should try to implement this into my Lucario game more often, especially now that I picked up on him again.

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
Just saw a lucario (pthas) do this to a little mac (sol) to get him off stage and it kind of lead to a kill, so thats cool.

Top Bottom