• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

External Hard Drive problems

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
My computer (and no other computer, I've tried it on two other machines) isn't being recognized as an external USB device. A couple of times I've connected and it made the USB device noise, but nothing would happen after that. Other times, I've connected it and my computer warned me that there was a power surge on the USB hub and to disconnect and try again. One time it said that the USB device was not recognized. And when I tried to plug in my printer to the USB port next to it, the computer abruptly restarted.

I have noticed small, barely visible sparks when I try to re-connect the female end of the USB cord to the hard drive. And when I try to connect the male end of the USB cord to the computer, I start to hear static on my speakers and the subwoofer.

I'm starting to suspect that there may be some sort of short in the hard drives' USB port, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

L__

Smash Master
Funny. My Ext. Hard Drive isn't recognized as a USB device, it's recognized as a hard drive. Go figure. Ask a local computer "fixit" store to repair your USB port.

Peeze

Smash Master
You might need to plug the harddrive into a self-powered usb hub then plug the hub into your computer, because either your computers usb port is outputing too much power or your usb harddrive isnt getting enough.

Xykonaut

Smash Rookie
ONE: It could be that the hub just can't give it enough power, so just don't use it for that USB. Period.

TWO: L_'s hit the nail fairly well on the head. If YOU can't fix it, and you don't know about anyone else who can, just take it to Geek Squad or whatever other pooter fixers you got nearby.

THREE: Sparks from your computer are NEVER a good thing. When you see that, you REALLY shouldn't try doing what made them again, unless you know how to fix that. Again, see #2

FOUR: If all else fails, you could just shell out for a new hard drive.

Top Bottom