• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extender Sweep!?

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
So my playing partner recently discovered a neat gimmick with the extender. This is probably a known tech but I find it interesting and would like to discuss it.

So the extender requires the Samus to activate the grab box by pressing A. If you miss the timing then the rest of the extender animation is a big free punish. The quirk I learned is accomplished by pressing A when the extender reaches it's max distance. As the extender retracts, the grab box is active the entire time. This means you can extend past someone and "sweep them back" as it returns. It works with both standing and running grab.This leads to some interesting baits. You can face away from your opponent and lock on halfway for a tricky grab. Thoughts?

rye_un

Smash Cadet
I guess I can see that being a quirky move to make just to style on your buddy. But yeah you can always just grabs them while they're on a different platform with homing too :p

Smash Journeyman
From our favorite thread:

Extended grab

Total: 94
Grab: 18-41 or 42-57 or 59-94
You must press A during the grab window to start grabbing; the grab will continue the remainder of the grab window . The grab-box is larger until and including the last frame before a big flash in the beam (for the first grab window only).

Flashes: 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36, 39
Press L to home in
In particular, yeah, the last grab window is huge compared to the other two (23, 15, and 35 frames respectively, unless I misunderstood what those numbers mean, in which case add 1 to all the numbers.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom