• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extended Grapple Beam, practical?

Yoshio!

Smash Rookie
I hate it when i try to grab and the enemy is just an inch too far for the beam, so, just as most Samus's start charging up the B after a kill, should i extend the grapple beam whenever i have the chance? (when coming back to the stage) its kinda nnoying to mash A to make sure it grabs..

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I hate it when i try to grab and the enemy is just an inch too far for the beam, so, just as most Samus's start charging up the B after a kill, should i extend the grapple beam whenever i have the chance? (when coming back to the stage) its kinda nnoying to mash A to make sure it grabs..
Umm.. first of all, you can only grab once per extended grab, so if you're mashing A when you deploy it, you're almost certain to not grab anything..

That said, it CAN be useful, but most of the time I don't bother getting it.

Vaedin

Smash Rookie
You shouldn't really be grabbing with Samus to much, she grabs to slow for it to be useful, just charge your beam its more useful.

Juce

Smash Ace
The extended grapple depends on which character you're facing and mainly the stage. If you're on FoD or YS, it can be really good and get you a lot of grabs. If you're on longer stages, or ones with high platforms, then it's not as useful.

Characters that rely on platforms or just have a lot of lag from aerials, such as Ganon, CF, and Marth, are really good to do it to if you're on a small stage.

In general though, there is no negative to the extended as long as you remember to do it at a time that doesn't leave you open and most importantly, remember that you have it. The time it's out is the same as the regular grapple, and if someone foolishly tries to spotdodge you can always get the grab. One tip is to make sure that you don't get anxious when it's time to press A and grab. Often you'll think you're close enough and try to go for it, and the opponent will spot dodge or jump or something, making you miss, but if you get in the habit of hesitating just a bit to see what they do, then you're sure to get the grab far more often.

majoras16

Smash Apprentice
theres a thread on how to do it and get it always at the first try.
if you get it you can surprise a lot of people, but yeah charge beam comes first than the grapple, i believe

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I almost always extend my grapple but try not to let my opponent know I did. For example I will lay a bomb then airdodge grapple beam cancel but extend it during that time and my opponent has no idea. I don't grab too much with samus so even if they notice they tend to forget.

Top Bottom