• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Exposé: The Truth about Sing Revealed

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Despite claims that rest in Smash 4 was now usable to to engine changes and other factors, I had never seen the hard and fast numbers to support this. So @Linkshot and I took up the challenge and did the grueling measurements and frame-data analysis ourselves. We found out a handful of previously undiscovered details about the game and got a rather strange answer to sing's viability.

The full analysis with explanations how how things were done can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n5yQ2fySt8JymrjhAPEybbVBEfL0U1M7tSTuZXAZu5s/edit?usp=sharing
WARNING: It's rather formal, and my physics background is kind of obvious

If your eyes glaze over at charts, My written analysis is below. If you don't like reading my TL;DR verson is below.

Ok so first major discovery: Each of the 3 parts of sing that put people to sleep have 2 hitboxes each. One is smaller and puts enemies to sleep for longer and the second one comes out a frame later, is about the size of the sing graphic (ie larger than the first), but puts enemies to sleep shorter. If the closer one hits, the second hitbox doesn't effect the enemy.

The size difference of the hitboxes is hard to describe. It's slight enough that it was difficult to walk far enough to get hit by one and not the other. If you want to get the hang of the difference training mode is your friend in that regard.

Second major thing: We have a strong theoretical understanding of how the game reads controller input for struggling out of sleep and in what way the game enforces a minimum sleep time. I go into more detail in the document, but it seems the game only checks if there is ANY input on each frame. Pressing two buttons on a frame counts as 1 input; pressing every button on the controller in the same frame only counts as 1 input. Spinning (not flicking or mashing) the control stick counts as many spread out inputs, so this is the best way to escape grabs and wake up from sleep. Pressing any of the other buttons does not help, and in practice will likely reduce the speed at which you spin the control stick. This is a nice little tidbit on it's own, but it means that escaping sleep at the quickest the game allows has never been easier to pull off.

And lastly is the initial goal: When is it safe to sing? Obviously the less input someone does to escape the sleep, the easier you can punish them. However, since it's fairly easy for someone preform a top-level escape, let's just talk about the last of the 3 data sets. If you hit with the close hitbox, you have a frame advantage at 60%, but if you instead hit with the weaker hitbox, you're only safe at 160%. You can get a forward tilt in at these percents, but honestly, that's about it. And also, at 160% you might as well uptilt out of your roll read instead of singing.

If you can jump in and rest in less than half a second, then hitting with the close hitbox of sing at 100+% is for you. However, if you miss and only hit with the longer sing hitbox, you WILL get punished. Forget everything you knew about how hard sing was to land before, it just got MUCH harder.

it's long so TL;DR:

OMG you need to be super close to your opponent for sing to work properly, or they won't sleep at long
WTF spinning the control stick and pressing no other buttons is the fastest way to escape sleep and grabs
BBQ Sing is only safe on hit at 160+% and if half a second isn't enough for a decent punish then sing is just about never useful ever. Dreams crushed

Also, I move that we have a Jigglypuff Data thread, where the results of this and rest percentages with/without DI, and the upTilt percentages are all put in the first few posts with discussions of other data in the thread and then added to the first post afterwards. If no one wants to do that, I'm up for heading the Data thread.

Last edited:

♥ Rd0Lg ♥

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rider0fLightning
3DS FC
0989-1743-4601
:sadface: I thought Sing was finally useful. Even if it only was effective at ~60%, then it could actually be a threat. Is UpB OoS an option? Or will they be too far away?

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Regardless, it comes out too slow to be a usable counter, and you have better options in the form of [basically any decent attack].

Last edited:

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
:sadface: I thought Sing was finally useful. Even if it only was effective at ~60%, then it could actually be a threat. Is UpB OoS an option? Or will they be too far away?

Yeah, as Drake said, it's a little too slow for that. It takes half a second for the first hitboxes to come out, and that's way more than enough time for them to not be there or land a hit.

If someone just sits there charging a smash and you're out of range, you could punish with sing, I suppose. I don't think many smashes would let you get close enough to land the close hitbox though.

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
Great work here ;):4miibrawl:

Well, indeed a bit disapointing, but always good to know that we won't destroy our pads as fast as we used to by mashing :4jigglypuff:

Last edited:

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
I use it right now when I am in the air the other person does a laggy move (looking to kill with a smash or something when I am at high percent for example". I avoid the attack, (usually by crossing up) as I fall down to the stage and rather than punish with a hit, I will [sing -> rest].

In a lot of these cases you could just rest to punish the laggy move, but I am not confident enough with rest to risk it. Also, some moves can be sung on-stage, if falcon is fishing to kill with raptor boost, you can sing it, they will slide through you and fall asleep, same with Pit's side B.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I use it right now when I am in the air the other person does a laggy move (looking to kill with a smash or something when I am at high percent for example". I avoid the attack, (usually by crossing up) as I fall down to the stage and rather than punish with a hit, I will [sing -> rest].

Yes, that's a way to land sing, but I find it odd that they don't wake up before sing is finished. What percents are you doing this at? And does your opponent know they can press inputs to wake up faster? Basically any amount of controller input makes sing hard to follow up from.

As I showed above it's very simple to wake up as quickly as the game allows by spinning the control stick, and when that's done, you need your opponent to be insanely damaged in order to actually punish.

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
Yes, that's a way to land sing, but I find it odd that they don't wake up before sing is finished. What percents are you doing this at? And does your opponent know they can press inputs to wake up faster? Basically any amount of controller input makes sing hard to follow up from.

As I showed above it's very simple to wake up as quickly as the game allows by spinning the control stick, and when that's done, you need your opponent to be insanely damaged in order to actually punish.
I can't speak for the people I'm playing against because I don't know what they are doing. But I can assume they aren't optimally mashing out as I have done this at sub 60% before.
Normally I wait till we are both over about 80% before even bother trying to bate this out. Though as I have said, I have done it earlier.

This is something I have only recently started doing so I don't have much recording, but I'll get some more for you if you want some point this week.

Last edited:

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Well thanks for posting a video of it. But as you said above, you don't know what the opponent was doing to mash out. It's an interesting example of it working, but it's unfortunately just that: an example. One is sufficient, as more don't really prove it's safety. From the data I took (using math) that he would have been active again in 3.0 seconds if fast, and out in 3.5 seconds if a little more than the leisurely movement preformed in data set 2. Since it takes you about 0.5 seconds to walk over and rest, he would have at least been able to block, if not grab an backthrow you to your death. Also, simply by holding down, Ness would have lived through the rest, so that's another factor

That being said the fact that you can rest in about half a second means that you can consistently land a rest after using sing at 120% and higher, no matter the opponent's input. But only if you land the close sing hitbox. This IS potentially useful.

The other thing I'd like to discuss is how should we be factoring in opponent's skill? I'm a big believer in not spending time to learn something unless I know it works at the highest level of play, but is that really the smart thing to do? If we guess that someone won't know how to button mash properly, does that mean setting up sing would be worth the risk?

Is it smart to abuse the ignorance of opponents to pull out a win? Or does that just cripple us later when someone knows the counter to whatever nonsense we've been trying to pull?

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
I curse my mac's inability to watch twitch videos.
What exactly happened on this moment?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I curse my mac's inability to watch twitch videos.
What exactly happened on this moment?
In a tournament match I performed sing on the ground in front of captain falcon but I missed. He tried to punish with Falcon punch but right before the punch connected he fell asleep and slid across the stage, then I ran over and rested him before he could wake up.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gjvYrBKVanU

Found this somewhat relevant, curious if it affects other moves similarly.
It's been talked about in detail in other threads (that I cannot find) but yes, it does. As a summery, any move at all will be canceled by sing if the character is hit by one of sing's hitboxes. The character will keep all momentum the have at the moment and slide while asleep. Notable examples are specials that charge or dash towards an opponent.

If the move is very committal and predictable you can use sing to essentially block it if you have absolutely perfect timing. Otherwise it mostly relies on luck and the inexperience of your opponent. Going back to even Jigglymaster's video example, Captain Falcon could have jumped over jiggs and reverse falcon punched in the air to punish. Being in the air means sing can't effect him. It sure looks great when it happens though.

Side note, the commentators get super excited about sing canceling Flare Blitz, but Jigglypuff can just crouch under it and rest for a much safer punish so there's that.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I don't know if its been mentioned yet either but Jigglypuff's sing effects counters now. Meaning Marth, Lucina, Shulk, ect can all use their counters and activate them when Jigglypuff's sing hitbox touches them. It's kinda lame.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Well are the counters still a thing in smash 4?
I know that most of the new characters have counter but is it still this good.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I don't know if its been mentioned yet either but Jigglypuff's sing effects counters now. Meaning Marth, Lucina, Shulk, ect can all use their counters and activate them when Jigglypuff's sing hitbox touches them. It's kinda lame.

That's super dumb... I was actually about to check if this was possible, because it would be a nice place to make sing useful

Although, sing takes SO DAMN long to come out, can you not react punish a counter by singing as soon as you see someone do one? Sing is 30 frames (half a second), so are there any counters that will activate more than half a second after being used? Also, are characters unable to move after a counter long enough for this to be consistent?

I was kind of expecting sing to activate counters though. Did you guys know that the game regards singing next to someone as a 3-hit combo? Easy way to get a 39-hit combo with Jigglypuff: Put your opponent to sleep at 999% and keep singing. You can even switch their damage back to 0 during one of your sings to do a proper combo before they wake up!

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Expected, but great analysis nonetheless. I don't know why they had to make certain moves so useless.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
only if sleeping was affected in the air (like Darkrais Dark Void is), had a bit faster animation and the hitboxes lasted longer, it would be really useful move!

Lol, agreed. Literally half a second is just too long to throw out and expect something to just happen.

That being said, there are technically uses for sing in this game. I'm actually doing some MORE research (shocking, I know) on Sing and will be making a new thread soon that will list the objective uses of sing and will be edited when something comes up with new ones. Sort of like an Ultimate sing thread. I know there are other sing threads going around, but honestly, conversation has been slow here lately, so no one will object I imagine.

Either way, keep an eye out for that

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Whenever I feel down about sing, I look at omni's videos.

And then I feel happy again.

Perso

Smash Rookie
NNID
PersocomLover
3DS FC
2251-6109-1984
Besides the obvious singing ledge grab to shorten the move's animation if you hit successfully with the second or third hitbox you are near guaranteed a rest/charge f-smash punish at 60+%. Of course that requires a bit of a hard read and luck, but hey it's something. Also, if an opponent throws a hitbox toward you and it's within the range of sing while the sleep hitbox is out it automatically cancels their attack and they sleep. :039:

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
While this is true, I wouldn't amount hitting with the second set of hitboxes to anything but luck. In this case, it becomes a move that comes out in 1.5 seconds, which is insanely long. It's hard enough to get a hard read with the 0.5 second version. Additionally, you MUST hit with the close hitbox of sing or else they'll escape before you're done singing anyways. The close hitbox is about half the size of sing's visual indicator, so you can see why it would be difficult to land that while not moving for 1.5 seconds.

Additionally, the canceling an opponent's attack with sing is a 2-frame window, and they'll only sleep long enough for you to punish them for one of these frames. It's not something I recommend doing in a real match.

However, there are a lot of things you can land the first wave of sing on with a hard read, especially if you see an opponent charging up a smash attack. The video I'm heavily procrastinating on (oops) will explain it a bit better, but if you jump behind someone charging a forward smash and drop down with a sing, you can consistently punish them. It takes some work to learn, but it's easier than trying to land a 2-frame punish.

Perso

Smash Rookie
NNID
PersocomLover
3DS FC
2251-6109-1984
While this is true, I wouldn't amount hitting with the second set of hitboxes to anything but luck. In this case, it becomes a move that comes out in 1.5 seconds, which is insanely long. It's hard enough to get a hard read with the 0.5 second version. Additionally, you MUST hit with the close hitbox of sing or else they'll escape before you're done singing anyways. The close hitbox is about half the size of sing's visual indicator, so you can see why it would be difficult to land that while not moving for 1.5 seconds.

Additionally, the canceling an opponent's attack with sing is a 2-frame window, and they'll only sleep long enough for you to punish them for one of these frames. It's not something I recommend doing in a real match.

However, there are a lot of things you can land the first wave of sing on with a hard read, especially if you see an opponent charging up a smash attack. The video I'm heavily procrastinating on (oops) will explain it a bit better, but if you jump behind someone charging a forward smash and drop down with a sing, you can consistently punish them. It takes some work to learn, but it's easier than trying to land a 2-frame punish.
Perhaps you misunderstood my purpose. The second and third hitboxes are for protection from an impatient opponent. They can be somewhat deceptive so if an opponent tries to charge a smash next to you or go for a dash attack you may just find you have the upper hand. This adds some viability to the move, although you are not perfectly safe, just sitting there it is still possible to trap an opponent.

The first hitbox is excellent with good timing and reads, just don't count out the rest of the entire move simply because it's harder to use reliably on command. :p

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I understood what you mean, I just disagree that part of a move that requires your opponent to be ignorant and make a mistake could be considered viable. It's not helpful to think of your opponent like that, and it's better to apply The Principal of Charity to your opponent.

Although it sounds like a request to be nice to them, this principal is actually for your own betterment. You should assume (when you don't know) that your opponent is knowledgeable and intelligent and that they know what they're doing in the game. If you keep assuming they're simply making mistakes, you can get baited extremely easily and surprised by things you wouldn't have if you just assumed they were high-level.

In this sense, assuming that an opponent would try and charge a smash beside a singing Jigglypuff is assuming they don't know what they're doing, which will lead to a rather nasty surprise when they do something in the air instead. Rather than this, assume they will know how to handle it and be pleasantly surprised if they mess up.

I know it sounds the same, but it's very bad practice to take the second and third waves into account before you use it, because it will just get you destroyed by an opponent that isn't impatient.

Top Bottom