• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Exploring Survivability with Float and Teleport

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
First off, I'd just like to point out that this was inspired by this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/am-i-the-only-one-who-does-this-mewtwo.353729/

I would have posted this there, but my results posed questions that I felt deserved to be discussed in a thread of its own. This might be some useful tech worth exploring.
So, onward to the topic at hand.

Exploring Survivability with Float and Teleport
The concept is simple: Float gives you aerial momentum in a direction of your choosing, and teleport quickly moves you from one place to another. So, can either of these things prevent you from crossing a blast zone, thus allowing you to survive longer? My hopes for this thread are such that we may test all that needs to be tested and discuss usability to determine if this even works, and if so, to what extent it is practical for use in a match. I will compile any other tests or important information gathered in this thread by quoting the posts in question at the bottom of this post in a further results and discussion section.

Methods
I tested on final destination using ganon ftilt (side blast zones) and fox usmash (upper blast zone). For both, I found the lowest percentage at which the move killed Mewtwo with and without DI when he was at the very edge of the stage. Then, I figured out the timing for when he left hitstun by mashing A until I saw him do sparkles right before dying. Once I found this timing, I repeated a few times while trying to engage float as soon as possible and then hold the opposite direction of knockback. The same was then done with double jump and teleport.

Results

The upper blast zone returned no useful results. With or without DI, Mewtwo did not leave hitstun before he was KOed. This could be an issue with using fox's Usmash, or it may just be that mewtwo is too floaty and dies too early off the top to ever leave hitstun.

The side blast zone did leave good amount of time between histun and death, with sparkles getting almost half way through its animation before death without DI and a little more than half with DI. I was able to engage float when the hitstun wore off (I could tell because I could see the float animation in the off screen bubble), but in all cases I was unable to prevent death. I have no way of knowing if I even influenced the momentum.

Using the second jump in this situation actually did prevent death if the jump was done away from the blast zone. I've always had the habit of doing this anyways, but never really knew if it did anything. I guess now I know it does.

Teleport also seemed to work, but only with good DI, and the timing was a lot stricter. I tried a rough recreation of the experiment from the other side of the stage, increasing the percentage to the appropriate killing number. This caused mewtwo to leave hitstun earlier and made teleporting away from death much easier. It should be noted, however, that mewtwo did not keep his jump after the teleport, and on final destination neither a forward nor diagonal up-toward teleport allowed mewtwo to make it back to the stage.

Discussion

So what does this all mean? Well, float appears to be rather useless for these purposes. Even if it did do anything, both jump and teleport were better in all applicable scenarios. The jump seems to be a useful thing, but I can say from experience that it won't always work, even if the jump manages to come all the way out before death. Sometimes the momentum just lingers and drags you past the blast zone anyways. That being said, in theory, teleport should save you in these situations, not to mention that you don't always have your jump available when you get knocked off. Depending on the stage, you may not make it back regardless however. I've done my part, if someone wants to try and test on other stages they're welcome to try.

Though, the thought occurs to me - what about double jump and teleport? Not only would using both help you survive longer than either alone, but the extra height from the jump might allow you to get back onto the stage. The difficulty would be in knowing when to cut the jump off with the teleport, since the momentum might push you past the blastzone before it's completed. You might just have to really learn how far up you need to be to make it back and then cut it off ASAP.

Further Results and Discussion
N/A

Ghee

Smash Rookie
Perhaps try going to the training stage and have Fox Upsmash you at FD minimum kill percent and see if you can change your momentum with float? That way you can see what is happening more clearly I would imagine.

Last edited:

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Perhaps try going to the training stage and have Fox Upsmash you at FD minimum kill percent and see if you can change your momentum with float? That way you can see what is happening more clearly I would imagine.
I may not have been clear enough in my methods, but that is exactly what I did. Even then, the hitstun never wore off wore off before the kill, even with proper DI.

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
I just want to say how much in love with the way this thread is written (biochem major here). Pay no attention to the haters. It makes it very clear and easy to read.

I think I will start to try to double jump survive, its not something that i've naturally done. This seems pretty interesting. A combination of DI double jump and teleport will all have to be managed at the correct times to ensure maximum livin'. I'll report back here later when I've tested it out a bit.

Q: As mewtwo goes to teleport and he is undergoing teleport startup frames, does his momentum carry with the direction he was hit? Because I don't use teleport to try to survive death unless recovering, I don't know the answer to this question.

One thing I'd like to add to the discussion, if you're hit with a low angle move (Falco Dsmash), and you DI down into the ground, do you guys know if you can teleport-snap to the edge as you go flying past?

CeLL

Smash Lord
One thing I'd like to add to the discussion, if you're hit with a low angle move (Falco Dsmash), and you DI down into the ground, do you guys know if you can teleport-snap to the edge as you go flying past?
I think you'd still be in hitstun when you get below the ledge and can no longer sweetspot. Better off trying to tech it, I think.

tehmarkysparky

Smash Rookie
One thing I've always wondered; can you use a fully charged Shadow Ball to try and cancel out the momentum if you shoot it towards the blast zone?

Top Bottom