• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Explain like I'm 5: How to edge-guard with ZSS?

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
Hello everyone. I've settled on ZSS as my main for the time being, but I've found that I can't edge guard as well as I'd like. I know you can flip-jump on their heads but aside from that I'm out of ideas.

I think it's because I'm not very good at this.

As a result there's probably some glaringly obvious options that I'm missing. So, explain like I'm someone who completely skipped Brawl (because f*** tripping) and is just now playing ZSS.

Thanks in advance.

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
It all depends on where exactly they're trying to recover from and how far out you're willing to go. High level low/Far short stage.
If they're trying to recover low, a good option is trying to stage spike them, run off the platform and Bair them with the right timing and there attempt at recovering might as well go bye bye
Recovering high just means you're at the advantage because they have to come down to you.
level with the stage is where that DownB spike can be hugely effective.

just keep in mind that ZSS has amazing recovery options, so going far out for edge guards is risky but a lot less so than if you were someone else. Fair and Bair and great for gimping with far recoveries.

in the end it all comes down to your comfort zone and practice. its great to have a practice partner in like 99 stock matches where you can try a variety of different scenarios and practice that way.

KingPinGamez

Smash Apprentice
It all depends on where exactly they're trying to recover from and how far out you're willing to go. High level low/Far short stage.
If they're trying to recover low, a good option is trying to stage spike them, run off the platform and Bair them with the right timing and there attempt at recovering might as well go bye bye
Recovering high just means you're at the advantage because they have to come down to you.
level with the stage is where that DownB spike can be hugely effective.

just keep in mind that ZSS has amazing recovery options, so going far out for edge guards is risky but a lot less so than if you were someone else. Fair and Bair and great for gimping with far recoveries.

in the end it all comes down to your comfort zone and practice. its great to have a practice partner in like 99 stock matches where you can try a variety of different scenarios and practice that way.
This is a great reply. It is helping me break down edge guarding for other characters as well as ZSS. Thanks

Top Bottom